Phil Foden - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we are always going to be going for titles and trophies. Every season. So that excuse doesn't work. Eventually Pep is going to have to put his trust in him. Not when the game is won at 4-0 but when we are chasing a game or when we are struggling to break a team down or even start him in an important game. I'm all for showing patience and letting him develop at the correct speed but there is very little he is going to learn playing against tired players who have already given up.

If last season had been this season, when we were miles in front, I think he would have got more minutes. I just think that this season, with the ever looming reality that a single lost game could see us missing out on the title, shielding him from that pressure might be a positive. However, I do take your point.

I'm sick to my teeth hearing about his lack of minutes. We don't play with a 10, we play with two 8s and in that position it's much harder to break through at a younger age. In the positions on the wing it's easier for younger players to break through, but players through the middle need to have developed physically and mentally more. Yes, David and Bernardo are small, but they are grown men, Phill is still 18.

You can see the difference a year has made to his physique. He's not bigger, but he's more solid and looks like an adult now. Name me a central midfielder who made regular starts in one of the top 4 leagues at his age. You won't find many.
My worry is how long he will wait, next season he is 19 and is 5th choice watching his less talented mates playing for their country while he is in the tough position of being too good for the reserves but unable to break the first team will be be looking for a move. Thought with kdb being out he would get a start or maybe some meaningful minutes.

My worry is how long he will wait, next season he is 19 and is 5th choice watching his less talented mates playing for their country while he is in the tough position of being too good for the reserves but unable to break the first team will be be looking for a move. Thought with kdb being out he would get a start or maybe some meaningful minutes.

I do think there were a few games this season he could have started a prem match, but I don't think there's any need for the hysteria and panic (not directing that at you).

His less talented mates play in different positions, that was the whole point of my original post. They are wingers. Trickery and speed can mask physique and speed of thought out wide. Foden plays centrally. Name me a teenage central midfielder in world football getting minutes in a team challenging for an unprecedented quadruple... Or, in fact, name me a teenage central midfielder starting for one of the top four teams in the top four leagues.

This is what Foden had to say in quite a good length piece in the Sunday Telegraph this morning following on from his appearance in the England under-21's.

"It's good just to get some minutes, you know, because at my club I don't really get many. It's just good to get out there and play football. I am still young, 18 years of age, so to get minutes was good for me. I lost quite a bit of fitness, but its coming back slowly. That was due to not playing. I have been trying to do extra after training but it's nothing like playing a game. It's totally different. Hopefully, I can get it back. I've still got a lot more to grow and it would help me out if I did. But it's just about being patient. It will happen in its own time, so there's no rush."

He went on to say about his style "It comes from myself really, just growing up. I liked to watch Spanish teams when I was at home when I was younger. I'm my own player. I don't try to copy anyone, but I like to learn from people. I loved Iniesta and David Silva and I liked Jack Wilshere as well".

Foden is learning to be David Sliva plus. He would not learn this at another club. His build, age and position needs managing if he is to fufil his potential. Pep had Messi so knows the score. The minutes will come.

Sancho may have the minutes but not the winning menatality as well as being physicaly bigger than Foden yet less exposed so not subject to the same physically as midfield. As Pep said, he did not want the challenge of fighting for a place. Foden was up for it but Sancho and Diaz were not.

Foden is learning to be David Sliva plus. He would not learn this at another club. His build, age and position needs managing if he is to fufil his potential. Pep had Messi so knows the score. The minutes will come.

Sancho may have the minutes but not the winning menatality as well as being physicaly bigger than Foden yet less exposed so not subject to the same physically as midfield. As Pep said, he did not want the challenge of fighting for a place. Foden was up for it but Sancho and Diaz were not.

In the past 9 years we’ve had a grand total of two academy players start a league game for us - Rekik (one game) and Pozo (one game, when every other striker was injured). Maybe they both took that into consideration. Presumably we’ve had dozens of youth players who were up for the challenge of fighting for a place - how’s it worked out for them?

It is a bit worrying to hear Phil say he thinks he has lost fitness not playing. Does he ever play for the EDS nowadays?

I hope he remains patient as he has time on his side - how long did it take Lingard to break through at the rags?

I still think a half season loan at a team like Bournemouth would be great for him if he started most matches but loans can be chancy affairs.

It is a bit worrying to hear Phil say he thinks he has lost fitness not playing. Does he ever play for the EDS nowadays?

I hope he remains patient as he has time on his side - how long did it take Lingard to break through at the rags?

I still think a half season loan at a team like Bournemouth would be great for him if he started most matches but loans can be chancy affairs.
That was just honesty coming out if the lad. You need live games to continue developing. Being 3rd string for the 8s isn't good for development. St best you wanna be 2nd atrist with an opportunity to push the first teamer.

I'm.hoping he gets Bernardo's role from last season. Where he wasn't a starter but was first off the bench. Meaning, he needs to jump either Dave or Gundogan as a backup behind Berny and Kev. And preferably jump both.

That's a tough ask for a 19 year old. But my view is the same, if he's still 5th choice next season, then a loan will be better.

I'm sure Pep knows the deepest development happens in live games. Anyone young player who doesn't get enough of that will eventually stagnate, no matter how talented they are.

Looks absolutely class. Shame he was playing with plenty nowhere near his level tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.