Who remembers belle vue fair ground?

71_manchester_11-30_poster_0.jpg

I remember as a kid in bedroom with my brother listening across the fields to the roar of the speedway on sat night and seem to remember a firework display to finish off some evenings.
What about the ballroom and the fire that destroyed it.

I certainly got taken there as a young boy, born (1973) and vaugely remember the water chute but that's about it.
My childhood memories of Belle Vue are being taken to the stock car racing.

Willie Harrison. Stuart Smith.

Top dogs...

Lived a few hundred yards from it............So many things to choose from there. Free tickets too from the Gorton and Openshaw reporter in the 60's.

The bus stop at the Lake Hotel was lively when Utd were at home.

The tygon (or was it the liger?) Even to a young lad it seemed cruel, those wild creatures in such small cages.
The Bobs hurtling round the curve as you came by on the bus.
Water chute.
Peter Craven.
"2-4-6-8, who do we appreciate?"
And I think there was a song about the Aces to the tune of Lily Marlene.

Deep Purple in the Kings Hall
Talking to Les Kellet after a wrestling bout
The Bobs
Never been to the speedway
Meeting a mate from school in the Lakes, who I'd not seen since he went to Glasgow U. Sounded like Jimmy Krankie!

Last edited:
I was just telling my daughter about Belle Vue yesterday, I think I was about 6 when the fair closed. I have only very vague and odd memories of a somewhat faded and ramshackle fairground, fireworks going off in the sky as we walked home in the dark (to Beswick), a water flume ride of some sort, motor boats at one end on a little lake. And being sad at seeing how the animals were kept. It's all so fleeting, there's no clear image that comes to the fore but it's all quite weirdly poignant.

Somehow I have stronger memories of "hot rod" and "banger" racing, seeing the Aces and getting cinders sprayed at me on the first two laps, treasuring my little model speedway bikes that my uncle bought me from somewhere. And stronger still are memories of seeing the short lived Manchester Spartans playing gridiron at Belle Vue around 3 or 4 years later.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.