Astonishing developments in AI

Ok, so this does feel a bit weird writing this, but I'm a researcher in machine learning/AI at the university, I work in the medical department. If anyone has any questions about AI, I can give you one informed person's opinion. Main reason I'm writing this is because there's so much bullshit talked about AI in the media, and if anyone wants an opinion from someone who actually works in the area, I'd love to balance out some of the bullshit. (and if no one gives a shit, i'll hold my hands up and shuffle away embarrassed)

Let’s hear it mate. I would also like to know what the facts are, rather than, we will all be subjugated and slaves, redundant as workers, conspiracy fucking vomit, from the Five Magic Bean buyers.

Let’s hear it mate. I would also like to know what the facts are, rather than, we will all be subjugated and slaves, redundant as workers, conspiracy fucking vomit, from the Five Magic Bean buyers.
No one can tell you what will happen , some are betting placed to guess but if A.I becomes sentient(it may never) not one person can tell you. It may wipe us out because it wants to save bees or it may just invent new technologies and mankind has won the lottery or it may just do what it's told.

No one can tell you what will happen , some are betting placed to guess but if A.I becomes sentient(it may never) not one person can tell you. It may wipe us out because it wants to save bees or it may just invent new technologies and mankind has won the lottery or it may just do what it's told.

People just love a dark future. Doom and gloom, dark forces. Unseen hands, plotting and destruction. Have they any evidence for this? Do they fuck, it’s all being hidden by the illuminati and aliens.

Don’t get me wrong, 5 billion think there is an invisible man in the sky who has a talking snake.

I suppose thinking chemtrails, aliens, illuminati, AI waiting their chance to enslave us etc is no worse, but it’s no better.

People just love a dark future. Doom and gloom, dark forces. Unseen hands, plotting and destruction. Have they any evidence for this? Do they fuck, it’s all being hidden by the illuminati and aliens.

Don’t get me wrong, 5 billion think there is an invisible man in the sky who has a talking snake.

I suppose thinking chemtrails, aliens, illuminati, AI waiting their chance to enslave us etc is no worse, but it’s no better.
what are you waffling on about. I'm sure 50% of your post have "sky fairies" or "aliens" in them. No ones mentioned that stuff but you.

We're nowhere near strong AI, i.e. actual intelligence, but machine learning is going to have a massive impact on employment in the next couple of decades, there's no question about that. I deliberately chose to work in medicine, as it's one of the few areas where machine learning will have a completely positive affect on society, but I get deeply worried about how it's applied in marketing etc. where it is becoming very easy to build very accurate profiles of people from their social media use. There's also the issue of smart cars, smart warehouses etc, which will be able to be fully automated in the not too distant future, without those jobs being replaced.

This AI safety researcher has a Youtube channel which teaches people about why "dangerous AI" is an academic and not science fiction proposal.

Here's a general overview of a specific problem called the Stop Button problem in AI from the Computerphile series.

Here in his channel, he breaks down safety issues in AI much more comprehensively.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLB7AzTwc6VFZrBsO2ucBMg/videos

AI safety is an extremely concerning, very real problem. Creating an unsafe AI is quicker, cheaper and easier than creating a safe one. People tend to do that before the slower, harder and more expensive options. Unfortunately there's a good chance that we only get one shot at this. For a particular breakdown of why, his video on Instrumental Convergence is a great watch

This AI safety researcher has a Youtube channel which teaches people about why "dangerous AI" is an academic and not science fiction proposal.

Here's a general overview of a specific problem called the Stop Button problem in AI from the Computerphile series.

Here in his channel, he breaks down safety issues in AI much more comprehensively.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLB7AzTwc6VFZrBsO2ucBMg/videos

AI safety is an extremely concerning, very real problem. Creating an unsafe AI is quicker, cheaper and easier than creating a safe one. People tend to do that before the slower, harder and more expensive options. Unfortunately there's a good chance that we only get one shot at this. For a particular breakdown of why, his video on Instrumental Convergence is a great watch

Ha. There is a stop button. It's called the plug socket switch.

The problem with AI is that it wipes out the middle class.
No need for bankers, accountants, office workers, etc.

You get a rift in the workplace between manual worker and high level white collar work
And mechanisation has all but wiped out low lever manual work at that.

It is wholesale redundancy of large parts of the workforce. That said, i suppose we will find something else to do. What does the human race do when it no longer has to work to survive?

The problem with AI is that it wipes out the middle class.
No need for bankers, accountants, office workers, etc.

You get a rift in the workplace between manual worker and high level white collar work
And mechanisation has all but wiped out low lever manual work at that.

It is wholesale redundancy of large parts of the workforce. That said, i suppose we will find something else to do. What does the human race do when it no longer has to work to survive?
Firstly we would need a universal basic income of some sort and research seems to show that people don't just become lazy druggies on ubi but life actually becomes less stressful. This could be a turning point for humanity if it was successful as it could wipe out poverty, improve work/life balance etc. people are probably less likely to commit crime/blame minorities if they are content with their own lives. Most people think ubi is a pipe dream but without it we could be looking at total world economical collapse in the next 20 years imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.