Fernandinho and Gundogan at CM

There wasn't a lot to aim for because Gundogan was beside Fernandinho rather than being ahead of him. That's why you had WInks and Sissoko doubling up on an out-of-form David Silva everytime he touched the ball so even though we had more possession that Spurs, it was in areas a lot less threatening than the areas they had possession in. In other words, possession for possession sake.
If Pep wouldn’t have been so bothered, for whatever reason, about their midfield, and picked a more attack minded midfield, they were there for the taking.

Why wait until the 88th minute to make changes?
Sane and Kev on for 20 minutes would have won that game for us.

The team (without Kev and Sane) were "Managing" the game well enough prior to the goal. Immediately following the goal, Spurs' pressed hard and significantly upped the tempo. You do not put new players on at this crucial time. He quite rightly waited for us to wrestle back some order, then it was the right time to make the changes.

There wasn't a lot to aim for because Gundogan was beside Fernandinho rather than being ahead of him. That's why you had WInks and Sissoko doubling up on an out-of-form David Silva everytime he touched the ball so even though we had more possession that Spurs, it was in areas a lot less threatening than the areas they had possession in. In other words, possession for possession sake.

Yes, I agree. And that was our plan. Pep knows Tottenham play high tempo. And he knows their squad is limited. Over 180 minutes can they keep that up? Unlikely. After Anfield last season we were out. But we still shook them up and should have gone in 2-0 up at halftime but for poor decisions from the officials.

As I said in another thread, Sane and De Bruyne coming on so late was evidence of Pep being happy with a one goal deficit. Odd yes but you have to look at the bigger picture. Spurs had a long rest before last night, we didn't. They don't have much longer than us ahead of the return leg and we have a must win game at Palace.

We are one down but with Sane, Mendy, Stones, De Bruyne and Bernardo all rested and Aguero with minutes under his belt. It's half time and for the return leg we throw the big guns on to get the win. Against another team Pep wouldn't have settled for a one goal defeat. He clearly wants us to win the league and beat Palace and fancies our chances of beating Spurs next Wednesday and again in the league due to our bigger squad.

When we look back it might just be the perfect decision making. As I said, win 2-1 last night but lose to Palace is much worse than losing last night and beating Palace because we can overcome a 1-0.

I don't think the two of them together is the issue. Last night a returning Aguero, a below par Silva and a typically average Mahrez were ahead of them. Add in Delph at left back amd there wasn't a lot for them to aim for in a creative sense. Defensively they did a job. Spurs shouldn't have scored last night, that goal lies solely at Delph's feet.

Ederson hardly covered himself with glory on the goal either, let's be honest about that.

I guess it makes Zinchenko look good and shows what he brings down the left in the form of his passing style, yes defensively he is still found wanting on occasion but he brings a lot of calm possession based football on the left.

Last season everything went the dippers way. At home despite the deficit we had them rocked and should have been 2up but for poor decisions (again).

Pep knows at home we can beat them. That team was picked to try and stay in the tie and keep players back for Palace. Had we won 2 nil last night and lost at the weekend we wouldn't feel happy as fans.

Losing 1-0 in a game of two legs is fine. Beating Palace is crucial. We have to go top and put Liverpool under pressure. Pep knows that mentally it could be huge and lead to Liverpool dropping points. If they lose to Chelsea that might just be enough for us to win the title.
Couldn't agree more, we've been winning so many games that if we had to lose one then a slim loss away to spuds with a good chance to overcome that at home is better than dropped points in the league

I thought he decided that if one game had to give, this was it. D Silva looks well of his game, and has done for a while now.
He has been off form and also because the last few games have been against very defensive teams so there has been little to no room between the lines for him to play.

He has been off form and also because the last few games have been against very defensive teams so there has been little to no room between the lines for him to play.

Yes, I agree.
It's awkward - Sane doesn't have space to run into against massed defence, but we still need someone to run through onto a throughball - there were almost none tried vs Brighton, and if a team know there aren't going to be any, it's easier to defend.

Ederson hardly covered himself with glory on the goal either, let's be honest about that.

I guess it makes Zinchenko look good and shows what he brings down the left in the form of his passing style, yes defensively he is still found wanting on occasion but he brings a lot of calm possession based football on the left.

Against Spurs, under the press, Zinchenko is the better option. Ederson probably should have saved the effort but the fault lies with Delph because there is no way he should be letting Son get a shot away. He got in behind and we got away with it, but Delph decides to appeal for a decision rather than concentrate on pressing Son and averting the danger. VAR would have checked the ball going out anyway!

Yes, I agree. And that was our plan. Pep knows Tottenham play high tempo. And he knows their squad is limited. Over 180 minutes can they keep that up? Unlikely. After Anfield last season we were out. But we still shook them up and should have gone in 2-0 up at halftime but for poor decisions from the officials.

As I said in another thread, Sane and De Bruyne coming on so late was evidence of Pep being happy with a one goal deficit. Odd yes but you have to look at the bigger picture. Spurs had a long rest before last night, we didn't. They don't have much longer than us ahead of the return leg and we have a must win game at Palace.

We are one down but with Sane, Mendy, Stones, De Bruyne and Bernardo all rested and Aguero with minutes under his belt. It's half time and for the return leg we throw the big guns on to get the win. Against another team Pep wouldn't have settled for a one goal defeat. He clearly wants us to win the league and beat Palace and fancies our chances of beating Spurs next Wednesday and again in the league due to our bigger squad.

When we look back it might just be the perfect decision making. As I said, win 2-1 last night but lose to Palace is much worse than losing last night and beating Palace because we can overcome a 1-0.

If the plan was to go to Spurs and keep the ball without creating many chances then that's a stupid plan imo when you consider just how good we are, and how much we've demolished Spurs in the past, by playing plan A. There was absolutely no need to go to a plan B and accepting getting beat by a small margin completely undersells the ability that our team have, that many rightly refer to as the greatest team in English league history. I could understand if we were a mid-table team going to the mighty Spurs or something like that, but we're gonna get 90+ points this season from playing plan A, 100 points the season before, and we've got to the QF of the champions league by playing plan A so why switch to plan B when the last time you played it, you got knocked out of the Champions League? It was a bad decision, and as much as I love Pep, he seems to have done it time and time again at both Bayern and now City at this stage for whatever reason.

If there is a silver lining, it's that some of our best players didn't play and should be ready for what I agree is the bigger game on Saturday although Sane didn't need to be rested and leaving him out for Mahrez is another really odd decision.

If the plan was to go to Spurs and keep the ball without creating many chances then that's a stupid plan imo when you consider just how good we are, and how much we've demolished Spurs in the past, by playing plan A. There was absolutely no need to go to a plan B and accepting getting beat by a small margin completely undersells the ability that our team have, that many rightly refer to as the greatest team in English league history. I could understand if we were a mid-table team going to the mighty Spurs or something like that, but we're gonna get 90+ points this season from playing plan A, 100 points the season before, and we've got to the QF of the champions league by playing plan A so why switch to plan B when the last time you played it, you got knocked out of the Champions League? It was a bad decision, and as much as I love Pep, he seems to have done it time and time again at both Bayern and now City at this stage for whatever reason.

If there is a silver lining, it's that some of our best players didn't play and should be ready for what I agree is the bigger game on Saturday although Sane didn't need to be rested and leaving him out for Mahrez is another really odd decision.

It wasn't the plan to not create chances. The plan was to keep possession despite Spurs' press. De Bruyne plays attacking passes but they don't always come off. Ferny and Gundogan complete more passes and the idea was to control the game.

It didn't work in terms of result but let's look at upcoming games. Spurs have a challenge to stay in the top4. That means their game this weekend is vital. As is ours. They get a slightly longer rest but it is minimal. And we went into last night having played a lot more recently than them.

We beat Palace with key players back in and then in the second leg also use our big guns. Spurs will not have rotated much in that time because they simply can't. We then have that little bit more freshness for the league game against them, another must win. Advantage to City. We might then go to the swamp with an advantage in the title race and knowing a draw might be okay. Either way, whatever team we put out knows a derby is vital regardless.

Pep didn't setup to lose the game. But when we did go a goal behind he wasn't hugely disappointed and still felt it was better to hold back De Bruyne and Sane. Clearly he is thinking about the bigger picture. We can judge him should it not come off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.