Leeds Vs Man City FA Cup Jan. 7th. 1978

Johnny Khan. Some great memories from those Leeds games. Went on the train both times. Long 2 mile walk.

Nice one thanks, he was a handy lad. As for the walk, had to be done though eh, you just knew it would come on top somewhere along the way, usually near construction sites, hence the half bricks flying through the air most times.

My mistake, it all blends into one for me if I'm honest, the late 70s early 80s is these days just like one long season, great memories but jumbled up to fuck.. Yesterday you say, hmmm, nope..

In my opinion it's better than gordan banks save only it wasn't as high profile a game

It was indeed a great save by big Joe, here you go,

I'm probably wrong again but I think this was the game where a tidy mob of City came across the pitch from the Gelderd end, led by a lad I only ever knew as John the p---, tall asian lad from Rusholme I think, anyway Gordon McQueen (enormous head) gave him a mouthful as he sauntered past, John turned round and offered McQueen out right there on the pitch, McQueen declined and John left the pitch to a heroes welcome from the blues behind the goal.

Got loads of memories of Leeds away but as said, they're all blended into one.

My mistake, it all blends into one for me if I'm honest, the late 70s early 80s is these days just like one long season, great memories but jumbled up to fuck.. Yesterday you say, hmmm, nope..

It was indeed a great save by big Joe, here you go,

I'm probably wrong again but I think this was the game where a tidy mob of City came across the pitch from the Gelderd end, led by a lad I only ever knew as John the p---, tall asian lad from Rusholme I think, anyway Gordon McQueen (enormous head) gave him a mouthful as he sauntered past, John turned round and offered McQueen out right there on the pitch, McQueen declined and John left the pitch to a heroes welcome from the blues behind the goal.

Got loads of memories of Leeds away but as said, they're all blended into one.

Didn't rotate in them days that was when the Fa cup was a big trophy.Our coach got bricked on the way back.

very scary day, Leeds were chucking bricks over the wall into the back of the away end and a full size brick missed my head by inches , but i did see one of the funniest things ever, we were driving back down the M62 and got behind a Salford van hire Luton type van, the back was slowly sliding up and when it went over a bump up the rear door went up and in the back city fans had a couch,table with a lampshade in the corner and were sat playing cards and some guy playing a piano

Last edited:
Yeah, the pitched battles between Heaton Moor and Heaton Mersey over which local garden centre was the best really were a sight to behold.
The 100 year War between Didsbury and Chorlton over naming rights to the Polish delicatessen is still seared into the collective memories of the bitterly opposed sides. To this day, Chorltonites steadfastly refuse to countenance any purchase from "The Cheese Hamlet", whilst "The Barbakan" is eschewed completely by the (meat-free) burghers of Didsbury.

Was there that game too, very tense atmosphere, outside was a war zone, Leeds lad pulled a knife on me, I turn and walked away load of lads from Salford stepped in and kicked the shit out of him.

Proper football, loads of City, think it was the game where that Wogan song was in the charts and as the brass band went by playing it I managed to launch a pie into an instrument from the Lowfields. Went as a 14 year old on my own on the train (football special?) From Victoria & off at Stalybridge on the way back to meet my parents at my Grans in Ducky.

Scary as fuck getting back to the railway station & not good being penned in a corner by the coppers until the train arrived to give the local inbreads target practice for chucking bricks at us.
Got chased all the way back to the station that day. Got asked where I was from when walking back. Said Leeds, and when I was asked what part of Leeds, I panicked and said Bradford.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.