Running thread

Almost halfway through the month and my piriformis is back playing up badly. Hip flexors not helping.

I'm still going, albeit, I'm in a lot of pain.

Managed to move a few things around which means I am running inside on the treadmill from about 7am while the kids have been off school.

I have my music on but never realised that Suzanna Reid is one tidy piece judging my the TV screens?

I have Eminen's Lose Yourself on repeat once Jeremy Kyle's fecking face comes on.

Discovered how a tennis ball can be your friend for aches!!
Have you been fellating yourself? A strange question I know, but this is what I did,a few years ago that gave ruse to identical symptoms you describe, and was initially diagnosed as a piriformis issue. It turned out however to be an L4 disk bulge caused by over extending the back. As soon as I stopped attempting the aggravating act, it cleared up with simple daily mobility / stretching programme.

It's too late to try things out if you've got a race in two days, but the best ways to avoid hitting the wall are:
* Train your body to make efficient use of stored fat as fuel by doing most runs in the aerobic zones - preferably fasted;
* Fuel evenly throughout the race (from the start);
* Use performance enhancers, namely caffeine (in the second half of the race) and beetroot / beetroot juice in the 4 days preceding the race.
Can I ask your advice please, and any others who are “seasoned” runners - @inchy14 etc

I’ve never even considered the need for fuelling on longer runs, I’m only doing my 3rd 10k tomorrow, but have done over 150 x 5k Parkruns.

My plan is to do the Great Manchester Half Marathon next month, do the Manchester half later this year, before hopefully going for the full marathon this time next year.

How important is fuelling whilst running? Can it be done without or are there positives/negatives etc

I generally do a lot of spin classes, and in the main I practise intermittent fasting doing the 16/8 version, so I am used to doing cardio whilst in the fasting period - for example my parkrun every week on a Saturday is always done in fast as I’ve not consumed calories since approx 9pm the pervious night.

Advice welcome, thanks in advance.

Oh, and I’m nearly 50 if that makes any difference, lol.

Can I ask your advice please, and any others who are “seasoned” runners - @inchy14 etc

I’ve never even considered the need for fuelling on longer runs, I’m only doing my 3rd 10k tomorrow, but have done over 150 x 5k Parkruns.

My plan is to do the Great Manchester Half Marathon next month, do the Manchester half later this year, before hopefully going for the full marathon this time next year.

How important is fuelling whilst running? Can it be done without or are there positives/negatives etc

I generally do a lot of spin classes, and in the main I practise intermittent fasting doing the 16/8 version, so I am used to doing cardio whilst in the fasting period - for example my parkrun every week on a Saturday is always done in fast as I’ve not consumed calories since approx 9pm the pervious night.

I don’t fuel when I race half-marathons. Bowl of porridge 2 hours before start, banana 1 hour beforehand. Your body should hold up fine and use your carb/fat reserves efficiently.

I tend to fuel at hour and 15, 45 and 2:15 if running out over 2 hours but just a couple of jelly babies for a sugar rush. Gels make me stomach churn badlybb

Take your watch off it might make you run without the pressure! Took me 7 months to crack a sub-20 when I was trying to for the first time!

Dalby Forest, you’re on my strava mate. It measure the GPS short, as it loses signal in the trees but it’s 3.1 miles of beautiful forestry and a nice single loop course.

Is it a flat course? Heaton Park has a hill called Angina Hill, and for a bloody good reason!! I should go and do one somewhere else to get a PB but ideally want to crack it there. Try not looking at my watch, might not wear it next week, see if it helps.

I’m also 50 mate, I never eat on a half, don’t even drink water during it, have some before and if I’m up early enough a protein shake, on the full I have a protein bar before plus gels from around the half way point.

I don’t fuel when I race half-marathons. Bowl of porridge 2 hours before start, banana 1 hour beforehand. Your body should hold up fine and use your carb/fat reserves efficiently.

I tend to fuel at hour and 15, 45 and 2:15 if running out over 2 hours but just a couple of jelly babies for a sugar rush. Gels make me stomach churn badlybb

I’m ok on gels but always avoid the jelly babies and sweets, make my mouth feel dry. Each to their own I guess.

I’m also 50 mate, I never eat on a half, don’t even drink water during it, have some before and if I’m up early enough a protein shake, on the full I have a protein bar before plus gels from around the half way point.

Thanks for that, interesting. I think I need to do the half next month and see how I go, then base further thoughts on that.

Everyone is different mate, I always eat a pizza the evening before, load up that day, works ok for me.
Just had one as doing 50 miles on the bike in the morning....
Yeah, I’ve just done in a big bowl of pasta and meatballs ready for tomorrow, lol.

I'd just echo what others have said really.

The only time I properly fuel is for the marathon distance or maybe if I'm going over 20 miles in a training run (if I'm doing that sort of distance, it's usually because I'm practising my fuelling for a marathon anyway). 10k definitely doesn't need fuel; I might stash a Lucozade Sport halfway around a half marathon - but only if I'm really racing it. And I would pop a couple of caffeine pills as well, and take beetroot juice for the 4 days preceding the race as well.

But on the whole, you don't need to fuel training runs except when you're trying out your fuelling strategy for a long race.

Ahead of a race, as well as the beetroot, carb load for about 3 days (try to exclusively eat rice, pasta and potatoes) and have porridge (slow-release carbs) for breakfast.

The only time I properly fuel is for the marathon distance or maybe if I'm going over 20 miles in a training run (if I'm doing that sort of distance, it's usually because I'm practising my fuelling for a marathon anyway). 10k definitely doesn't need fuel; I might stash a Lucozade Sport halfway around a half marathon - but only if I'm really racing it. And I would pop a couple of caffeine pills as well, and take beetroot juice for the 4 days preceding the race as well.

But on the whole, you don't need to fuel training runs except when you're trying out your fuelling strategy for a long race.

Ahead of a race, as well as the beetroot, carb load for about 3 days (try to exclusively eat rice, pasta and potatoes) and have porridge (slow-release carbs) for breakfast.
Any particular recommmednations on gels? I did a bit of googling, would you do the ones that have caffeine in too?

How many beetroot shots per day mate? Only ever had 2, 1 night before and 1 on the morning, one a day enough?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.