Running thread

Is it a flat course? Heaton Park has a hill called Angina Hill, and for a bloody good reason!! I should go and do one somewhere else to get a PB but ideally want to crack it there. Try not looking at my watch, might not wear it next week, see if it helps.

It’s not, nothing too undulating. What you climb, you descend in effect. Worth it if you’re in North Yorkshire.

Any particular recommmednations on gels? I did a bit of googling, would you do the ones that have caffeine in too?
That's a matter of personal preference mate. Studies on caffeine show that it isn't much use in the first half of a race as the effect wears off before you need it. Also, all the caffeine should be taken at once - attempting to top it up doesn't have the desired effect. So you might want to try standard gels in the first half and the last few miles, with one or two caffeine gels near the middle.

Regarding particular gels, it's a case of experimenting to see which ones you get on with. A lot of people (me included) don't get on with gels; they can cause stomach problems. I used Torq brand for a while - these were better in that respect. But I've given up on gels altogether. I prefer to use dates now and they are working way better than anything else I've tried.

How many beetroot shots per day mate? Only ever had 2, 1 night before and 1 on the morning, one a day enough?
Depends which shots / brand - they're not all the same. There's also concentrate, pure juice and actual beetroots. Here's a useful article on the subject: https://fellrnr.com/wiki/Beetroot_and_Running_Performance

The night before and the morning will be useful, but for it to really have the desired impact you should take it for four days leading up to the race.

Pissed off, lol. Didn’t beat PB at Tatton 10k. Missed by 20 seconds. Have made all my relevant excuses to myself about Cheshire 10k being a faster route, hamstring strain, etc etc. Bottom line, still irritated, haha.

I’ve “decided” that the reason I was slightly slower was that I was testing pacing myself to convince me that I can do the half marathon, which I’m convinced I can now.

Can I ask your advice please, and any others who are “seasoned” runners - @inchy14 etc

I’ve never even considered the need for fuelling on longer runs, I’m only doing my 3rd 10k tomorrow, but have done over 150 x 5k Parkruns.

My plan is to do the Great Manchester Half Marathon next month, do the Manchester half later this year, before hopefully going for the full marathon this time next year.

How important is fuelling whilst running? Can it be done without or are there positives/negatives etc

I generally do a lot of spin classes, and in the main I practise intermittent fasting doing the 16/8 version, so I am used to doing cardio whilst in the fasting period - for example my parkrun every week on a Saturday is always done in fast as I’ve not consumed calories since approx 9pm the pervious night.

Advice welcome, thanks in advance.

Oh, and I’m nearly 50 if that makes any difference, lol.
Porridge before and water during a long run up to 2.5 hours were all that was needed for me during my marathon running days up to the age of 46. Slow release carbs such as porridge are best and your body learns to burn muscle glycogen and fat during long training runs. Two gels only needed for last 6 miles of a marathon and should trialled in training runs up to three hours.

A healthy balanced diet. Forget the fancy sports drinks. No sweets or chocolate. Milk and nuts best for post run recovery.

Anything up to a half marathon, water only needed. [Porridge before]

@BlueHammer85 was running it, think he finished in just over 4.30 looking at strava, he's got 2 different times on there though so not sure...

Mark, how'd it go mate?

Cheers lads.
Just a amazing experience really.
Atmosphere and crowds were so good.

As for the run. Felt really good until about 21 mile mark. Which was later than expected.
Was torturers from then on and hammered my time.

But did it in 4:32 , 20 mins better than last time so happy with that.

Physically feel ok, got sunburnt and hangover feels worse.

Cheers lads.
Just a amazing experience really.
Atmosphere and crowds were so good.

As for the run. Felt really good until about 21 mile mark. Which was later than expected.
Was torturers from then on and hammered my time.

But did it in 4:32 , 20 mins better than last time so happy with that.

Physically feel ok, got sunburnt and hangover feels worse.

Nice one mate, well done.

Hungover myself today, not sure it's worth it anymore.......................:0(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.