Spurs (H) 2nd Leg - Post Match Thread

Var kills celebrations and that alone is bad for the game I love, right now we celebrate and then get massive disappointment.
Coz it’s relatively new we will continue to be elated but I guarantee that it will not be long before it’s the norm to just wait and see and then a rather slow dawning will creep on you that we’ve won or not. This will be the end of emotion. The backbone of the game.
In terms of this game we had it won and made the kind of decisions that we don’t normally do. Maybe your name does need to be on it after all.
Tried my hardest to explain to my youngest that a spurs player playing a ball off our player, who was simply stood there is offside was a mission as was explaining we won 4-3, drew 4-4, but lost overall was nigh impossible, his reply was “ losing 4-0 to Barca is the same overall result as drawing 4-4, if so what’s the point”.
This was always going to be the main downside of VAR.
I thought this at the time it was introduced not because of any great foresight but I imagined the situation if it had been in force at the time of Aguero 93.20 and how the fans reaction would have been so different.
What happened last night is bound to happen again in a World Cup, Champions league final or some other major game.

Like everything in life you get what you pay for. Unfortunately we baulked at £75m for van Dijk (then spunked a big part of it on Mahrez) and now the scousers are reaping the rewards of doing so. If we'd bought him I dare say we'd now have the title in the bag (Liverpool would be a lot weaker) and maybe still in the CL.

All ifs and buts now but hopefully if the board really want the CL then perhaps they'll start sanctioning signing £100m plus signings if the right player is available, instead of being put off above £60m and risking missing out on the very very best.

Ajax and Tottenham would suggest that you don't need to spend vast fortunes. You need to sign the right players - and yes van Dijk may have been the right player, but its not just down to being prepared to spend the money - seemed like van Dijk always wanted to go to Liverpool and that will have had an impact on how much City could force his hand. I don't really think we can complain about the way City have recruited - we have on the whole signed players on the way up for reasonable fees and they have done well for us. However, I also found the Mahrez one a strange signing - and so far its not worked out. He does not fit the pattern of those we have generall signed - I would rather be signing a young hungry player than getting drawn into bidding wars. Although might make exception for Mpabbe ...

This was always going to be the main downside of VAR.
I thought this at the time it was introduced not because of any great foresight but I imagined the situation if it had been in force at the time of Aguero 93.20 and how the fans reaction would have been so different.
What happened last night is bound to happen again in a World Cup, Champions league final or some other major game.
Sad but true, emotionless football is not something I’m looking forward to

Like everything in life you get what you pay for. Unfortunately we baulked at £75m for van Dijk (then spunked a big part of it on Mahrez) and now the scousers are reaping the rewards of doing so. If we'd bought him I dare say we'd now have the title in the bag (Liverpool would be a lot weaker) and maybe still in the CL.

All ifs and buts now but hopefully if the board really want the CL then perhaps they'll start sanctioning signing £100m plus signings if the right player is available, instead of being put off above £60m and risking missing out on the very very best.

VVD is no better than our defenders.
He plays behind three defensive midfielders, the moment Liverpool have to chase a game, he looks just like every other defender.

First half last night, we gambled we effectively left ourselves two on two. And twice, they got the luck of the bounce. Laporte’s first touch is outstanding normally. He simply made a mistake.

Great effort by the lads.
And supporters.
Bit unlucky.
But fucking proud to be blue.
Seasons is now 5 league games.
And a cup final.
Win all 6 and it's our best ever season.
Weve got brilliant players.
A brilliant manage.
Yes people make mistakes.
But.
Pep plays the best football I've ever seen.
Come on blues one last push.
CTID

So many contrasting emotions. VAR kills the joy of football stone bloody dead. It’s designed for the tv audience not the match going fan.
I’m proud of the team but we only have ourselves to blame. All spurs goals over the two ties were down to poor defending and we can’t expect to win the CL if we are going to ship 4 goals. We defend well enough in the PL and it’s not like we have been pitted against the best in Europe in our run. Very perplexing. Pep has to hold his hand up with his team selection in both ties. The first leg was bizarre and last night I would question the cb pairing Why not Stones /Laporte? Why Gundo instead of Fern?
Kun s penalty miss was so important to the shape of the tie.
Anyhow. Back again on Saturday and I fully exp3ct us to tear them a new one just to heighten the feeling of ‘what might have been’. Kev and Raz were world class last night.
Oh, and I hope Ajax take Spuds apart.

Worry is that Mahrez penalty will come back to haunt us too.

That old chestnut, what about his two single goal winners? There are many many other moments over the course of the season that will define whether we will win the league.

And probably some over the next 5 games.

Mahrez has not lived up to expectations but the way he is being made a scapegoat by so many is quite pathetic in my opinion.

Team game....CTID

Wow what a night - I went over and over the game and could not sleep.
A few things struck me
You don’t miss penalties
Aymeric has been amazing the whole season and sadly he saved up a few howlers for one match - he will learn and get better
KDB was immense
WE WON last night in the result but also as an advert for entertainment- no one does it like City
The offside rule needs looking at - using a slide rule to see if a player is ‘offside ‘ is not actually what the offside rule is about - it is not in the spirit of the game- he was not getting an advantage here with such a marginal call- I’d give you offside if he was a foot or even a yard but , what, a few millimetres that should never be classed as ‘ offside ‘ but thanks to tv punditry and several overweight asses in a studio we now analyse these things to see ‘ if it was a close call’ - it’s truly not right but hey we move on
City bring me such satisfaction and sadness but I love them and will be there Saturday having travelled three hours t get there and will cheer them with all my effort
Come on City let’s show the country WE DESERVE to be CHAMPIONS,
CTID

VVD is no better than our defenders.
He plays behind three defensive midfielders, the moment Liverpool have to chase a game, he looks just like every other defender.

First half last night, we gambled we effectively left ourselves two on two. And twice, they got the luck of the bounce. Laporte’s first touch is outstanding normally. He simply made a mistake.
Correct

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.