Var debate 2019/20

I take back what I said. I shouldn't have called someone a coward. Oackie thanks for being a perfect gentleman.
Hey ojeme many thanks but I don`t get upset at name calling,like water of a ducks back.
At the end of the day we all want whats best for our club and I`m no exception,just because I have a different view point.
Cheers mate.
Oakie

I thonk Bar was use 5 times over 2 matches. Sons goal and our penalty in 1st match. Kompany handball Lorente goal and Aguero offside in return match. Probably all var decisions were correct. Aguero not scoring from a penalty that we didn't even appeal for is still the main reason we didn't qualify as well as Laporte having an absolute stinker along with Delph asleep for Sons goal in 1st match.
There are myriad reasons, in the course of 180 minutes, one might lose a game. However, we are talking about BIG decisions. The Rose handball was arm rising to meet ball. The Llorente handball was less obvious, but then the Aguero offside was seen by NO-ONE! Not a single Spurs player, nor linesman or ref, thought it was offside, yet...

I have no problem with VAR. The problem I have is with its administration. There was CLEAR video evidence that Llorente hit the ball with his arm, just as there was CLEAR evidence that Bernardo got a touch on Erickson’s pass. One called, one not. Decided the game.

THAT is the problem I have with VAR, and those two incidents changed the course of the game in the last 20 minutes of a 180 minute heavyweight slugfest.

Maybe one has already been posted earlier in this thread but does anyone have a link where it states that the June 2019 handball rule changes are now in use for CL games? I've seen Rossetti's directive being mentioned but not seen what it actually said.

I think should use VAR but that the teams not the referee decide on challenging a decision. Bit like tennis or cricket, 1 challenge each half, Keep to use again that half if correct.
That way onus on teams to decide to challenge referee decision, rather than this as hoc system currently have.

I really really would like to know what happens if he see's that angle. I'm certain it gets ruled out even though the rules are yet to be spelled out. Obviously I'm talking theoretically in the moment, since anything that is said after the fact, could be to bail his team out for their gaff on not giving him the right angles.

It does raise the question though, is there anything else still in the rules which is general consensus among professional referees, that still isn't clearly defined yet?

If so they need to rectify it BEFORE next season starts as this should have been.

We don't want stupid decisions just because they've missed something that should have been addressed already and end up acting like pedantic robots about the written rules. VAR changes things that were left to common sense for some people it seems, so it's an important issue.

Last edited:
When you lost last years CL tie to Liverpool, salah was clearly offside for the first goal at Anfield. VAR would have rightly ruled him offside. You all would have been happy. The Milner deflection- 2nd leg - VAR would have given the goal to Sane. People were wishing they had VAR.

You were all happy you got a pen in the first leg vs Spurs, and I doubt anyone complained about VAR then, even if it was a poor decision. The 3rd Spurs goal last night would have been harsh if disallowed. Goes in off his hip. Aguerro was offside. Unlucky, but correct decision. I wasn't arsed about who won. Correct decisions were made. Whether VAR is any good for the game is debateable.

VAR has changed the game for better or for worse, just like billion dollar owners have. A 90 page thread on the merits of VAR. if you'd won, this thread would not exist. Simple.
Nobody complains if it's disallowed when they see that angle from behind the goal... I'd take that as a City fan because as an attacker you've messed up a good chance if you've let it hit your arm. It's been an unwritten rule in football for donkeys years. People are finding loopholes to excuse it based on a rule meant for defenders getting in the way of shots and it's pathetic quite frankly.

At the end of the day though it's not the refs fault so we can't blame him, the view on it that he had was not conclusive. That's just unlucky for City, that the panel fucked up their selection.

I was thinking conspiracy at the time because of the rumours that BT had omitted the vital angle but I'm not even sure they are in control of that anymore. Everything needs to be more transparent and less behind the curtains to my mind.

If this had happened to Liverpool they'd be in mourning for weeks.

Last edited:
Nobody complains if it's disallowed when they see that angle from behind the goal... I'd take that as a City fan because as an attacker you've messed up a good chance if you've let it hit your arm. It's been an unwritten rule in football for donkeys years. People are finding loopholes to excuse it based on a rule meant for defenders getting in the way of shots and it's pathetic quite frankly.

At the end of the day though it's not the refs fault so we can't blame him, the view on it that he had was not conclusive. That's just unlucky for City, that the panel fucked up their selection.

I was thinking conspiracy at the time because of the rumours that BT had omitted the vital angle but I'm not even sure they are in control of that anymore. Everything needs to be more transparent and less behind the curtains to my mind.

If this had happened to Liverpool they'd be in mourning for weeks.

There is time yet for similar to happen to the dippers.

Karma is a ****.

You’re a fool.

I’m sat here stunned but calls were the right ones.

I’ll take losing like that against the match fixing last year vs Liverpool anyday

So close.
Well-said.

On occasion, VAR will get things wrong.
===
On a bit of a tangent...

WIth AI advancing so rapidly, on-field referees might well disappear in the next 20 years or so. For the better.

A neutral AI network - with numerous camera angles to see everything that transpires on the pitch - should be the arbiter of our sport. Any question of bribery/misconduct/cheating/incompetence - etc. - will be provably dismissed.

Meanwhile, the sport will enjoy provably neutral adjudication with invariably (almost invariably? - maybe some camera angles would be missing especially in low income venues - but not, I think in any P/L fixture or any top European fixture) - as I've said, invariably accurate decisions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.