Running thread

Second run tonight. Feeling it in the legs now.

Luckily I have strength in my legs as I always take the stairs, 2 at a time, and running if the stairs are clear.

I just need to get some endurance back now, and start shifting some blubber.

So left my job where I was commuting 16 hours plus a week. First thing I promised myself I’d do is buy some decent running shoes and join a running club.

Having not run for years and it’s been tough but I’ve done 2 5 mile runs and a 5.7 mile. The latter was pretty tough with several hills!

Park run tomorrow.

Anyone else into running?
Kyle walker

Been following this thread for a while. I've been running since January gearing up to do my 1st 10k in a few weeks in Manchester. I've done the distance 3 times and did it in 57 minutes which I was happy with.

I went to continue "training" today with a run round Dovestones but I couldn't cope with the heat and really struggled breathing numerous times having to stop every 2k until I hit 6k and I couldn't carry on any more. I'm a bit worried now about when the run comes around, if the heat is like it was today or like last year (I remember watching and it being horrendous), I don't know if I'll be able to complete it.

Any tips?

Keep training in the heat when you can and you will become more acclimatised to the conditions. Also, work on hydration and think about electrolytes as well: on a hot day you can lose a lot of salt through sweating and you can also lower the proportion of salt in your body because you drink a lot of water. So you can address this by using sports drinks like Lucozade Sport and by eating salty things on the days preceding a run: crisps etc. Also, bananas for potassium.

Been following this thread for a while. I've been running since January gearing up to do my 1st 10k in a few weeks in Manchester. I've done the distance 3 times and did it in 57 minutes which I was happy with.

I went to continue "training" today with a run round Dovestones but I couldn't cope with the heat and really struggled breathing numerous times having to stop every 2k until I hit 6k and I couldn't carry on any more. I'm a bit worried now about when the run comes around, if the heat is like it was today or like last year (I remember watching and it being horrendous), I don't know if I'll be able to complete it.

Any tips?

Just keep at it!
It’s really weird , some days you will struggle, some days you will feel perfectly fine - the more you do the more the ‘perfectly fine’ days you will have.
Always always start of slow, it really helps to get your breathing going. So perhaps a warm up run on race day.
Make sure you fuel lots, get up extra early and have a breakfast, drink some water before you head out. Enjoy it and don’t fret about time.
Also get a few parkruns in, I’m doing one in a couple of hours - just going to take it gently, PB’s can wait.

Any tips?
Mostly cycling in the summer and trail running in the winter has been my fitness plan for the last 25 years. Was fairly serious with the cycling at one time when I was in a club and competed in time trials. Also run 5 marathons.

So, as a long term plan, it might suit you. Helps avoid injury and boredom and better for all round fitness and well being. Include weight training in winter too.

First run of Couch25k wk 3 done.

Love it.

Keep at it bud.

I’ve got two mates who finished couch25k.

One couldn’t run 5k in under 30 minutes at the start and has just completed a 10 mile race in 80 minutes.

The other ran a 25 minute 5k from it eventually then jacked it in, now he can’t run it continuously again.

Stick with it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.