Greek Holidays

Must be 7-8 years ago but avoid Kos and more specifically Kardamena, absolute crap hole and the whole hotel got robbed too. The local food was excellent though.

Leaving shitty bog paper in a basket can be a godsend.

Many years ago I had horrendous shits in Ios and had to rush into a cafe toilet, it was only after I’d squirted everywhere that I realised there was no bog paper left. Rummaging around that basket tearing of little bits of paper that didn’t have shit on was a moment to remember. Sadly there wasn’t enough and had to go home with no tee shirt.

It was a great Island though. Very rustic.

Got caught short myself in Corfu circa 1986 and had to snip one off over the side of a pedalo. Sank like a stone through the crystal clear Aegean waters and often wondered if it turned white or the fish ate it. Something for a future Jacque Cousteau I suppose.

Ah we leave on the 9th!

By any chance I didn't meet you in Alkionis bar for Shaktar last year? Met a blue there who was staying in Kremasti and he mentioned a bar there!
Bugger shame we miss by a day.

No wasn't me but we do go in there when we go into 'lally'.

Good luck with the house hunting, ours in Oldham is up for sale at the mo & we have thought about upping sticks to live there but my wife's previous health history is a bit of a stopper so probably heading to deepest darkest Lincolnshire if we finally get a buyer.

Always have a look on these webcams when I wake up, the first one has been setting up the outside area over the last week or so & has just got it's first guests of the season.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ellada/naigaio/dodecanisa/rhodes.html

https://stream.webcams.travel/1485691420

Last edited:
Bugger shame we miss by a day.

No wasn't me but we do go in there when we go into 'lally'.

Good luck with the house hunting, ours in Oldham is up for sale at the mo & we have thought about upping sticks to live there but my wife's previous health history is a bit of a stopper so probably heading to deepest darkest Lincolnshire if we finally get a buyer.

Always have a look on these webcams when I wake up, the first one has been setting up the outside area over the last week or so & has just got it's first guests of the season.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ellada/naigaio/dodecanisa/rhodes.html

https://stream.webcams.travel/1485691420

Good luck with the sale etc. We've been trying to buy in Dublin but it's a joke and I'm at the stage I may up sticks in the next few years and be a beach bum in Greece :-)

We've had loads of holidays in Greece over the years and used to really enjoy being over there. When the financial crash hit, we all know how hard they got it and we noticed that the resorts started to get scruffy and a bit dirty quite quickly especially due to lack of funds for decent refuse collection. When you think of what goes into the rubbish bags, late or even non-collection is not a great thing.

But, it's been 10 years since we last went and we both would really like to go back this year. Have you been there recently and how would you describe things on the whole. Are they still skint with rubbish piling up or have they got to grip with things and have got back to the great resorts they used to be.

If you've got anything to add from personal recent experience, then me and Mrs Flyer would be grateful of the info. Just let us know where you've been, we're not fixed on any particular resort or island

Thanks

The last 10 years have been one of the most difficult decades in recent history for Greece. The financial crisis (which is self-inflicted to an extent) and the migrant crisis have really damaged Greece's reputation as the best destination for Brits. But it shouldn't put you off returning. On the whole, the tourists are treated really well because the Greeks realise it plays a huge part in their economy. I don't think resorts are scruffy on the whole (depending on which resort), but you can just check trip-advisor for certain hotels and you'll get a good idea on how clean they are. The TP bins are pretty rare now. You'll only see them in really rural places.

I wouldn't recommend Athens. It will be too hot from May-early September if you want to the Acropolis/the Plaka. Best time to go is late March/April. It's a bit rough around the edges and the taxi drivers can spot a tourist a mile off. There are nice resorts nearbye, Oropos being the main one Athenians chose to visit in the summer. Thessaloniki is a better City and you can drive to Halkidiki which is really nice.

For summer holidays I'd recommend:

Rhodes - go and stay near Lindos. If you imagine a perfect Greek town, on a hill, over looking a little fishing port, that's basically it. You can get a bus to Falaraki, there's a water park nearbye, Rhodes Town is worth a day trip. There's so many nice little restaurants and cafes.

Kos - it's only a small island, but some of the views are incredible. There seems to be more upmarket hotels here.

Skiathos - like Kos, but less gentrified.

Lesvos - Direct flights from Manchester. Loads of beautiful towns/beaches. Cheap because of the migrant crisis (which isn't an issue anymore). What's not to like! My family is from Lesvos, so I visit every summer. I'd happily give you some recommendations if you want them. You'd enjoy this Island the most if you were going to rent a car and drive to different beaches. If you prefer to go and spend a fortnight on one specific beach, you'd be better off going to Rhodes/Zante/Corfu/Crete.

Me & Mrs Moon go to Rodos twice a year and have never had water issues & we stay at a superb budget end of the market hotel.

Not really noticed any major differences since 'the crash' & the people are lovely, after around 14 trips to the same hotel (always laughed a people doing that sort of thing when I was younger) the staff are now personal friends.

Did Cyprus in January, got the nice week for weather but not my cup of tea, found it a watered down Greece with too many Russians & a bit too plastic in a Canary Is way.

@flyer what sort of accommodation are you looking for? The place we stay at is halfway between the airport & Rhodes in a proper village perfect for non ravers but close enough to get a bus in if that's your bag for a couple of Euros.

We think along the sames lines as you here mate. Been to Rhodes about half a dozen times and really enjoyed it. Stayed up in the north west around Ixia and Trianda, Ialisos area but the last time we went we stayed in Pefki which we really enjoyed.

Used to love Cyprus but I agree that the Russians seemed to be taking over when we went. Even the adverts for bar staff said that you must be able to speak Russian to get a job.

We're not really fixed on any accommodation, we've done apartments, hotels, anything that's decent really.

The last 10 years have been one of the most difficult decades in recent history for Greece. The financial crisis (which is self-inflicted to an extent) and the migrant crisis have really damaged Greece's reputation as the best destination for Brits. But it shouldn't put you off returning. On the whole, the tourists are treated really well because the Greeks realise it plays a huge part in their economy. I don't think resorts are scruffy on the whole (depending on which resort), but you can just check trip-advisor for certain hotels and you'll get a good idea on how clean they are. The TP bins are pretty rare now. You'll only see them in really rural places.

I wouldn't recommend Athens. It will be too hot from May-early September if you want to the Acropolis/the Plaka. Best time to go is late March/April. It's a bit rough around the edges and the taxi drivers can spot a tourist a mile off. There are nice resorts nearbye, Oropos being the main one Athenians chose to visit in the summer. Thessaloniki is a better City and you can drive to Halkidiki which is really nice.

For summer holidays I'd recommend:

Rhodes - go and stay near Lindos. If you imagine a perfect Greek town, on a hill, over looking a little fishing port, that's basically it. You can get a bus to Falaraki, there's a water park nearbye, Rhodes Town is worth a day trip. There's so many nice little restaurants and cafes.

Kos - it's only a small island, but some of the views are incredible. There seems to be more upmarket hotels here.

Skiathos - like Kos, but less gentrified.

Lesvos - Direct flights from Manchester. Loads of beautiful towns/beaches. Cheap because of the migrant crisis (which isn't an issue anymore). What's not to like! My family is from Lesvos, so I visit every summer. I'd happily give you some recommendations if you want them. You'd enjoy this Island the most if you were going to rent a car and drive to different beaches. If you prefer to go and spend a fortnight on one specific beach, you'd be better off going to Rhodes/Zante/Corfu/Crete.

Thanks for the info M33. We've been to Rhodes, Kos and Skiathos and really enjoyed them all. Not been to Lesvos yet, so any recommendations would be appreciated. Getting a bit giddy now with all this talk of holidays. We love getting out and about and meeting the locals, they really are so friendly. I said to Mrs Flyer, some Spanish, Portuguese resorts can be a bit 'you're on holiday, so get spending your cash now' whereas the Greeks are more like 'you're on holiday, so I'm on holiday. Sit down, have an Ouzo'

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.