Game of Thrones (season 8)

That's fair comment as 'in reality' more,if not all....would have perished.However,having them survive does allow for character involvement in the climax most weren't initially expecting.Ep 3 was almost a red herring in terms of the show closure.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. People wanting main players to die and expect us to follow Gendry, Sam, Greyworm and Greyworm's bird to Kings Landing and watch that as a finale while the rest ie dead on the battlefield. If people wants twists, turns, poltical machinations and backstabbing then we need the big players there for us to give a shit. Plenty to wrap up and we need Sansa, Tryion, Varys even Jamie et all for that to all play out. Although I agree that Sam should have died but if you believe reddit then he's the Maester supposedly writing the 'story' of GoT so he had to make it. We still need main players to scheme and eventually build a new world. Cant do that with just Jon and Dani.
Ah well just my thinking. Thought it was fuckin ace!

Masterpiece. The 'scene' at the end. The whole thing, the music, the drama, the suspense, the pacing, the writing. Absolutely nailed it.

People will always have opinions on how 'they' would have written it or what they would have wanted to happen, but just enjoy it for the cinematic masterpiece that it is.

Seen a lot of criticism saying Jon should've battled the NK. He literally tried and the NK just woke up the dead around him. It was clear from that point any kind of combat was impossible, including dragon fire. You can't write that in and then expect him to die in a sword fight. It had to be a surprise attack, it was just who, and it fits Arya's arc perfectly.

Seen other criticism that the NK was killed too easily. Nobody could get near him. Had to happen that way where he was distracted with Bran. There's also the fact that the war on the dead isn't actually the main story and the whole point is the battle for the iron throne, which they now have 3 episodes to tie up. Plenty of time for main characters to die if that's your thing. They couldn't drag the war with the dead any longer.

Last edited:
@7evens Crypt foreshadowing...

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif
Didn't add up to much in the end, did it? I expected Rickon to resurface and chase Sansa or something, but the closest we got was the one wight who looked a bit like Maester Luwin dragging some Redshirt Northerner into the darkness.

But hey, we still got that great moment between Sansa and Tyrion, in which Sophie Turner and Peter Dinklage communicated so many feelings without uttering a word, and the crypt functioned nicely as a way of avoiding the "battle fatigue" the producers were worried about. I mean, it wasn't a patch on Cersei psychologically deteriorating while and drunkenly abusing Sansa in 'Blackwater' (which remains the best battle episode in the show's history), but I think we've been given a couple of important breadcrumbs in these scenes.

Tyrion has just shared a moment of tenderness and true vulnerability with Sansa there that he never has with Daenerys (except maybe when she named him Hand). With Dany challenging and questioning him so much lately, an arm round the shoulder from Sansa might just be what Tyrion needs to convince Dany even further that democracy is the way forward, as opposed to another Targaryen dynasty. She's not taken kindly to that idea in the past...

Only bad thing imo was the bloody ads. Especially given the lighting challenge. And the timing of the ads sometimes was almost comical.

Sky should have run it all uninterrupted with special mention before and after that it was thanks to their sponsors. They could have even milked the build up for days before saying that thanks to Volvo and Sky and whoever you could see it all as intended by the creators.

My take away was to never buy a shaggin Volvo. Carous Interruptous.

People complaining about lighting lol. The whole point of it was to feel like you was there scared dark having some horde attack you, it was the long night not the long day. Your own fault for buying shit black Friday tvs

To be fair - I watched on sky and my brand new Samsung tv and it was a bit annoying. I don't mind scenes in the dark, but fighting in the dark doesn't work after a couple of minutes - you start to lose interest.

I thought the final scenes would have had more to them, but it is what it is and sets up the series (having thinned out the armies of the forces in the north).

That's fair comment as 'in reality' more,if not all....would have perished.However,having them survive does allow for character involvement in the climax most weren't initially expecting.Ep 3 was almost a red herring in terms of the show closure.
That's a good point and I agree with you, except that I think there's a better way of going about it than what we saw in Ep3. If you want characters to survive, that's fine, but then put them into situations that they can realistically survive. GoT always stood in the genre it because situations and outcomes were reasonable rather than miraculous, but now it seems to fall into the latter.

I read elsewhere something which I think neatly summarises where I think it's been going wrong since it overtook the books: things used to be forecast, and now they are foretold. Example:

The Red Wedding was a complete shock, but when you re-watch previous episodes you can then spot the clues that forecast it (e.g. Tywin's letter to Walder)

Whereas Ayra killing the Night King was pretty much told to us - "Green eyes, brown eyes, BLUE EYES" nod nod wink wink and then she runs off (I do wonder why people were suprised by the NK death - even the music telegraphed it was about to happen!)
It feels that now the writers are treating the audience as if we're stupid and need to be told what will happen, rather than dropping clues or surprising us in intelligent ways, ad are using dramatic 'epic' music to convey feelings and tension, rather than writing and dialogue. There's not necessarily anything with that - works for Star Wars and Marvel - but for me that was never GoT's way, until recently.

Didn't add up to much in the end, did it? I expected Rickon to resurface and chase Sansa or something, but the closest we got was the one wight who looked a bit like Maester Luwin dragging some Redshirt Northerner into the darkness.

But hey, we still got that great moment between Sansa and Tyrion, in which Sophie Turner and Peter Dinklage communicated so many feelings without uttering a word, and the crypt functioned nicely as a way of avoiding the "battle fatigue" the producers were worried about. I mean, it wasn't a patch on Cersei psychologically deteriorating while and drunkenly abusing Sansa in 'Blackwater' (which remains the best battle episode in the show's history), but I think we've been given a couple of important breadcrumbs in these scenes.

Tyrion has just shared a moment of tenderness and true vulnerability with Sansa there that he never has with Daenerys (except maybe when she named him Hand). With Dany challenging and questioning him so much lately, an arm round the shoulder from Sansa might just be what Tyrion needs to convince Dany even further that democracy is the way forward, as opposed to another Targaryen dynasty. She's not taken kindly to that idea in the past...

I haven't ruled out an incestuous union of JS and DT. Incest being a running theme in the same way that 24 couldn't do an episode without torturing someone.

People complaining about lighting lol. The whole point of it was to feel like you was there scared dark having some horde attack you, it was the long night not the long day. Your own fault for buying shit black Friday tvs
FFS haha. My cousin got a Blaunkqtech or something from Tesco on black friday 2 years ago, 55 inches, it lasted 3 months before he got a Sony. I think it was even 1080i.

Like it. I always felt that Samwell was essentially a representation GRRM (a bookworm, a nerd, the fat kid, etc.)

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. People wanting main players to die and expect us to follow Gendry, Sam, Greyworm and Greyworm's bird to Kings Landing and watch that as a finale while the rest ie dead on the battlefield. If people wants twists, turns, poltical machinations and backstabbing then we need the big players there for us to give a shit. Plenty to wrap up and we need Sansa, Tryion, Varys even Jamie et all for that to all play out. Although I agree that Sam should have died but if you believe reddit then he's the Maester supposedly writing the 'story' of GoT so he had to make it. We still need main players to scheme and eventually build a new world. Cant do that with just Jon and Dani.
Ah well just my thinking. Thought it was fuckin ace!
Maybe the bit about Sam could have been under a spoiler tag.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.