The Kippax Last Stand - 30/4/1994

My mate took a toilet seat home from the Kippax. Aagh!!! Disgusting - all those big fat young and old sweaty hairy arses. Yuk!!!

I used to help my mate and his dad sell programmes outside the Kippax as a kid. Watched the game for free - albeit we used to miss the start.

Nice read but not exactly how I remember derby games on the Kippax in the late 60's, especially the infamous "battle of the Kippax".

“It was a huge stand and for the big games, the noise was massive,” he says. “For derby matches, you’d have red and blue shirts in there mixed in together.
“There was no segregation until the problems started in the 70s. But to see two sets of supporters intermingling and creating a great atmosphere was fabulous.”

https://www.mancity.com/news/first-...ter-city-kippax-stand-francis-lee-anniversary

I was at Xaverian College in Rusholme , headmaster Brother Cyril was a Big Blue.He gave everybody a half day off , priorities.
I'm ex Xavs and remember this as well but as I recall we didn't get a half day for the Plymouth match which was also a Wednesday afternoon (power cuts?). Xavs was a very Blue school in those days. We took two coaches to the League Cup final in 76 just from my year (sixth form). They were organised by one of my mates.

Went on my own at 13 because my dad was working and none of my mates were allowed to go to deepest Moss Side (all that long long way from Stockport) without a parent! Wasn't a particularly brave kid but didn't feel nervous at all because I'd made the journey so many times, and standing on the Kippax was second nature. Can't believe my mum let me go though to be honest.

Many, many happy memories of the old stand in the 60's and 70's. Spent a long time abroad after that with the army. Still miss it.

The thought of Greenalls still makes me shudder now. Some things don't change though. The draft beer at the Etihad is bloody awful.

I hated the Kippax. I generally preferred the Scoreboard End and later the North Stand. The sightlines in the Kippax always seemed bad and I had problems seeing despite being 5' 11" unless that attendance was poor.

My favourite memory of the Kippax was for a Youth Cup match in the run to the Semi-Final in 1965-66. I think only the Main Stand and the Kippax were open that match. Malcolm Allison had received, not just a touchline ban, but a lengthy a stadium ban after one of his frequent brushes with the authorities.

As I was on the Kippax, I notices a familiar face a few yards away. It was Big Mal wrapped up in a long coat. I was not the only one to notice him but everyone kept quiet. City won the match and progressed in the tournament.

When Mal's suspension was over, he remarked that the worst aspect of his ban was that he was unable to watch the Youth Team in that particular match. He had some nerve!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.