The Kippax Last Stand - 30/4/1994

I'm ex Xavs and remember this as well but as I recall we didn't get a half day for the Plymouth match which was also a Wednesday afternoon (power cuts?). Xavs was a very Blue school in those days. We took two coaches to the League Cup final in 76 just from my year (sixth form). They were organised by one of my mates.
I went William Hulme during late 60 S and early 70 S most were blue most a bit posh but those of us who got there off being born in Manchester were not arsed and about 20 of us fucked off to watch the Plymouth game. 2 mates brothers went to Xavs at the time Mark n Tez did you know them if you did then no need giving out their second names lol

My Uncle barely missed a home game from about 1970-1994, on the Kippax every other week. He has been to about half a dozen City games since the Kippax was knocked down in 1994.

City changed forever to him after this day. I think the Kippax was City to him.

First game was against Bournemouth 89 think was winning three nil and drew three all. Always remember climbing the steps and thinking this is the only place I want to be. Went home that night and believe I was singing the referee a wanker in my sleep as my mother said. Kippax will remain forever in my heart the best day of my life and since then been addicted to city ever since. I’m from Bolton and no one supported city all rags and Bolton but I’m proud to say there’s loads of kids with city tops on it’s great to see the club we’re it is. CTWD

Some great times but rather depressingly my strongest memories are of taking my Scouse friend* from uni to the Liverpool games in 1982 (0-4) and 1983 (0-5) and watching him struggle to suppress his grin.

Also the Luton game that same year :-(

*before anyone says it he's a good lad proper footy fan not whiny/victim/arrogant/insert your own observation about scallies.

Biggest noise I ever heard was v Everton in the 81 cup replay. When we scored those 2 quick goals second half I swear the whole Kippax was pogoing to “we’re on the march with John Bond’s army...,....”- it was insane
Agreed, the FULL length of the Kippax was singing it, it must have looked and sounded INCREDIBLE!!

It's the anniversary of the last day of the Kippax terracing today. The stand had held in excess of 35,000 at its peak and on the final day in 1994 it had the largest capacity of any terraced area - definitely not the Kop no matter what you may read elsewhere!

Its last day was also the 1st time I'd been (legally) on the Maine Rd pitch as I helped with the organisation of the Kippax Last Stand. That was also the first time I'd ever written an article for the MCFC match programme - I've been a regular contributor now since 2000 (and a few other pieces before then).

Thoughts of the Kippax always bring out a few decent memories so maybe it's time for us to post a few of our own Kippax stories. I've seen that the Kop's been getting some attention but of course the Kippax was ours and one of the most thrilling places to watch football from. I got my first season ticket there in 1984 and couldn't wait to be there every home game. No other stand came close and the match day rituals would start ages before the teams came out. We'd also start every game with a rendition of Bring on the Champions - usually inappropriate but a chant we should make boom out of the Etihad now.

I Can remember going on the kippax with my dad as a youngster.

Going up the steps then down to our usual position in front of the 1152 advertisement board where I got to sit on the barrier. It was a very special place.

I can remember the Chants for the players used to start from the goal keeper onwards in the warm upzzzz

England’s number 1 for coton
We’ve got terry phelan
Ohh Curley wurley
Ohh vonky vonky
Gap for entire midfield
Ole ole ole ole Niall Quinn, Niall quinn.

Never seem to do that nowadays.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.