Game of Thrones (season 8)

Gone is the nuance and subtlety. Really disappointing how they have to ram the foreshadowing down your throat so blatantly.

Gone is the nuance and subtlety. Really disappointing how they have to ram the foreshadowing down your throat so blatantly.

Are you just gonna come on this thread every monday to tell us how dissappoied you are and how it was better seasons ago?

I actually thought scenes with tryion and varys were very early season esque

With 3 episode left unfortunately it will cram in a lot of foreshadowing, they should have done the usual 10 ep run.

Last edited:
This might be an all-timer for me. What an utterly tragic episode.

It placed quite a lot of emphasis on intimate two-hander scenes that really got the message across. Power is power, and it's going to rip our friends apart. As Tyrion says to Davos, "We may have defeated [the dead], but we still have us to contend with." As an audience member I felt genuinely heartbroken by what took place in front of my eyes just there. This show has always displayed how evil works and how merciless it is, but when we had honourable people up against tyrants we could still stomach it to a degree because we could pick sides. We supported Ned against Cersei and it hurt when he lost, we supported Tyrion against Tywin and it was amazing when he won, we supported Robb against the Lannisters and it hurt when he lost, we supported Sansa against Ramsay and it felt amazing when she won. The evil characters were tempted by the lust of power and some of them eventually paid for it.

But now it's harder to accept because the dynamic has shifted. Power has started to poison the minds of people we love and it's tearing their relationships apart. We've always been pro-Daenerys but it turns out she couldn't beat the ghosts of her father's nature after all. We wanted Jaime to leave Cersei behind and be happy and healthy with Brienne, but he can't shake his demons and feels he isn't worthy of her. This season, we've wanted Daenerys to let Sansa rule the North independently, but absolute power is too tempting for her. Cersei has finally caused Daenerys to snap, and she's going to go Mad Queen. If she was going to go Mad Queen and only destroy Cersei then we could withstand the prospect a little easier, but as evidenced by poor Missandei and Rhaegal, Daenerys' quest for power is going to get everyone killed.

Quite a lot of characters feel marked for death in a way that they didn't last week. Daenerys surely won't survive going this power mad, Jaime has ridden to his doom with Cersei, Tyrion and Varys have committed treason simply by discussing alternative rulers and aren't safe if Dany finds out. And what the fuck is Jon going to make of this when he arrives at King's Landing to see Drogon torching innocent civilians? Is he just going to stand idly by and keep himself safe? If this is the bittersweet ending the showrunners promised then I think we're looking at about 90% bitter and 10% sweet, and I'm honestly here for it.

This show was always at its best when it analysed the brutal, evil nature of power, and how it can destroy everything underneath it - this episode was all about that.

This might be an all-timer for me. What an utterly tragic episode.

It placed quite a lot of emphasis on intimate two-hander scenes that really got the message across. Power is power, and it's going to rip our friends apart. As Tyrion says to Davos, "We may have defeated [the dead], but we still have us to contend with." As an audience member I felt genuinely heartbroken by what took place in front of my eyes just there. This show has always displayed how evil works and how merciless it is, but when we had honourable people up against tyrants we could still stomach it to a degree because we could pick sides. We supported Ned against Cersei and it hurt when he lost, we supported Tyrion against Tywin and it was amazing when he won, we supported Robb against the Lannisters and it hurt when he lost, we supported Sansa against Ramsay and it felt amazing when she won. The evil characters were tempted by the lust of power and some of them eventually paid for it.

But now it's harder to accept because the dynamic has shifted. Power has started to poison the minds of people we love and it's tearing their relationships apart. We've always been pro-Daenerys but it turns out she couldn't beat the ghosts of her father's nature after all. We wanted Jaime to leave Cersei behind and be happy and healthy with Brienne, but he can't shake his demons and feels he isn't worthy of her. This season, we've wanted Daenerys to let Sansa rule the North independently, but absolute power is too tempting for her. Cersei has finally caused Daenerys to snap, and she's going to go Mad Queen. If she was going to go Mad Queen and only destroy Cersei then we could withstand the prospect a little easier, but as evidenced by poor Missandei and Rhaegal, Daenerys' quest for power is going to get everyone killed.

Quite a lot of characters feel marked for death in a way that they didn't last week. Daenerys surely won't survive going this power mad, Jaime has ridden to his doom with Cersei, Tyrion and Varys have committed treason simply by discussing alternative rulers and aren't safe if Dany finds out. And what the fuck is Jon going to make of this when he arrives at King's Landing to see Drogon torching innocent civilians? Is he just going to stand idly by and keep himself safe? If this is the bittersweet ending the showrunners promised then I think we're looking at about 90% bitter and 10% sweet, and I'm honestly here for it.

This show was always at its best when it analysed the brutal, evil nature of power, and how it can destroy everything underneath it - this episode was all about that.

It's funny really, having been a bit let down by last week's focus on spectacle over reason, I agree with you that this one was really rather good, and does foreshadow all of that to come.

True but Benioff and Weiss were never great writers, they had great source material which they haven't been able to use for the last three seasons. I think it was always going to have a fan fiction feel to it once they got past the books but I suppose at least show watchers are going to get an ending where let's face it book readers probably won't. It's not perfect but it's still better than the majority of what's out there.

If you ever wanted confirmation of what terrible writers they are, the explanation for what happened in the last episode in the directors commentary was that "Dany forgot about Euron's fleet."

That's right. She and all her advisers walked into yet another ambush because they completely forgot about the guy who had destroyed their fleet twice already.

Pathetically bad writing.

I enjoyed that episode. I'll ignore the usual "It was better when they were using GRR Martin's source material" brigade. They can enjoy continuing to wait on books that will never get released.

It seems as though Daenerys is going to go full on Mad Queen now which has been foreshadowed several times in the previous seasons. She has been through a lot of shit and the one thing keeping her going was her goal of sitting on that throne. Though I still don't think this is going to go the way most people think. They are leaning heavy on Jon being the more suitable ruler and while that is true I don't see there being a fairy tale ending where Jon survives and rules the seven kingdoms. He'll get fucked over by someone. Perhaps even Daenerys. Not sure where this is going to go and I like that. Look forward to the conclusion.

I've just found this season so underwhelming. We're two episodes away from the end but they've wasted three episodes so far with piss poor writing and stupid decisions.

I don't believe for one second that a fleet of ships could completely blindside Denaerys. I don't believe for a second Sansa would tell Jon's secret, and how the fuck did they capture Missandei in the water?

Two things about this season are driving me absolutely insane:

One one hand, everyone seems to accept that Bran has visions and is the repository of all knowledge, past and present. John and others take him as an authority on John's lineage as an example. On the other hand, no one seems particularly interested in asking him strategy or for more useful information. Instead they're just out here getting blindsided by entire fleets of ships. Seems odd!

Everyone, and Dany in particular, seems to think of, and more importantly act as if, the dragons are invulnerable, unstoppable creatures while in fact they have been demonstrated several times to actually be quite vulnerable. By the night king, by regular archers, by undead weights that Dany inexplicably exposed Dracarys to, and oh yeah, by the big crossbow looking thing the last time they encountered Lannister forces in battle. No one should be surprised that you can shoot down dragons! It's been done before! Then you have Dany watch her other dragon get shot down and she turns directly towards the danger and only the ridiculous plot armor saves her. The writing on this show is so bad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.