Phil Foden - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst i do not think he had a great game he did as well as our other midfielders, it was just a case of them having a better balance of strength work rate and skill

Not going to happen.

It’s amazing how he goes from a great performance against Spurs (also very high pressure) to an ok one against Leicester, and he now needs to go out on loan.

Not because his performance today.

I just believe playing regularly in a big league is the best way for youngsters to improve.

Not going to happen.

It’s amazing how he goes from a great performance against Spurs (also very high pressure) to an ok one against Leicester, and he now needs to go out on loan.
In my opinion (and seemingly nobody else’s, I don’t know what everyone was watching), he wasn’t great against Spurs.

He had just 41 touches of the ball in the whole game, in midfield. That’s close to being anonymous. And most of those were in the first half. Second half he was not in the game at all yet managed to not get subbed and when he did get the ball he gave it away.

Games where players have good games in midfield for us they’re up at 90+ touches (David Silva 94 at Old Trafford), they are constantly involved.

I thought a lot of why we struggled second half against Spurs was because of Foden.

I don’t care that he’s 18. We have a title to win and there’s no room for niceties.

Struggled tonight but it was a big occasion and Leicester filled the midfield. He will have learned a lot from this game.
It’s the first I thought he looked out of his depth and a little bit light weight. But the lads going to be a brilliant player and these experiences will make him better in the future.

I don't think he played badly but he was always going to be the one to come off for Leroy if we needed a goal.

He's played his part this season but last night showed why he isn't ready to be starting every week.

Pep is giving him valuable minutes and in the next year we'll see a big difference in Phil's game. His ability is there to see but, as has been mentioned previously, he needs to develop his strength so he can compete with the most athletic players.

He'll be twice the player that Maddison is and he looked pretty decent last night.

Strength doesn’t mean he has to be able to lift Loftus Cheek above his head, but he does have to have the strength to hold off other players, like Bernardo and David do.

Not sure if you’ve played much adult football, but you would be surprised how strong even the smallest top players are, because it is a requirement to have the strength to hold off opponents and keep the ball at a decent level. I was 6’2” and 180lbs as a player playing professionally with seasoned pros and you might be amazed at the strength of some of the smaller fellas. He needs to grow up as a man if he is going to play in the mix, but he has time in his side...and his ability is unquestionable.

Phil is VERY strong for his age and build allready. Ahead of most in his age group. He wouldn't be playing at this level (yet) if that wasn't the case.
When he hits his twenties he will get a massive strenght boost naturally. No need to overtrain.

I do agree with your post. People really, really underestimate the strenght of David Silva, Bernardo, etc...
There is a tendency to look at players as being either "technical" or "physical" but at the top level there is no such thing as a non-physical player.
We never get bullied in midfield. Not just because we pass the ball around so well, but because most of the time our little players are simply stronger than the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.