Game of Thrones (season 8)

IMO they seem to be trying to just get the series over and done with now, in a way maybe its a good thing not to just continue milking it like The Walking Dead have done but it also feels like it deserves more.

Correct me if I have misheard but did the series not catch up to the books in an earlier season and the author had to catch up if not craft an ending? I thought I had read that somewhere because it would explain it really - it has a distinct feeling of racing to the finish line without a well conceived story. Series, overall, has obviously been groundbreaking on many levels for so long it was bound to trip up on all the misdirection robbing it of any direction/purpose.

Perhaps the author had an end scenario in mind but there was a rush to bring it all together topped with never really knowing if he would've crafted them or the story differently from the outset without the benefit of fully formed/realized screen versions of his books & characters. I imagine that must at least subconsciously affect your storytelling from there

In any event, I still can enjoy it in parts and endure the hammy bits - will it be a sunny day ending Hollywood loves with cheering at the end or a Red Weddingish finale

The relationships between characters already exist though, and can't deviate too much with under 3 hours left for characters to finish their arcs.

Episode 2 was slated for its slow pace when it was all about refreshing those relationships and emphasising the bond between some characters.

The latest one was a pretty perfect episode IMO. Good blend of action and discussion.

When you have 7 seasons of content, you don't need to devote a whole episode to this is why x or y is important to character z.

This is what myself and others have taken umbrage at. Everything is rammed down your throat, there is no subtlety at all.

I feel like this final series needed 8 episodes, could have been paced better if so but sad it is coming to an end either way!

Loved this last episode personally, Cersi back to being an evil woman, Dany turning into the Mad Queen, a real moment seeing Grey Worm so upset and the bald bastard Varys still clinging on like a turd that won't flush, love it.

Enjoyed that last episode, they managed to make it quite tense with the politics of the Seven kindgoms coming back into it, deceit at every corner.

But that last twenty minutes... As others have said, just didn't work. I looked away for a second to take a sip of my post match beer and all of a sudden they'd been transported from winterfell to the gates of kings landing. Have they got a bloody TARDIS now? No build up, no suspense, we had entire episodes in earlier series dedicated to journeys north and south and that is when most of the relationships and enemies were made... Not this time, just wish upon a fart and a whole army is teleported to the next scene hundreds of miles away.

Makes me worry for the ending, please don't be yet another series with a rushed conclusion.

Agree agree agree. Also the fact that what was quite a big deal in the Ironborn fleet attacking was rushed into a 2 minute segment. Felt like a rushed way to get rid of Rhaegar.

I feel like this final series needed 8 episodes, could have been paced better if so but sad it is coming to an end either way!

Loved this last episode personally, Cersi back to being an evil woman, Dany turning into the Mad Queen, a real moment seeing Grey Worm so upset and the bald bastard Varys still clinging on like a turd that won't flush, love it.
Agreed, except that I always felt Vary's to be one of the true heroes of the whole thing; extremely good at what he does, and perhaps the only one who truly has the interests of the common people at heart (same could perhaps be said for Tyrion, maybe?).

I think that one of the signs of how GoT has shifted (i.e. taken a downturn) since season 6 is the diminsihed role of players like Varys, Tyrion and Littlefinger - those who are moving the chess pieces around the board. Their scenes and diaolgoue were always the best and most interesting, and were what set GoT apart from other 'fantasy' shows. To see Varys resurface again in Episode 4 was a welcome relief from all the fan-fiction stuff we've had in seasons 7 and 8 so far.

Agreed, except that I always felt Vary's to be one of the true heroes of the whole thing; extremely good at what he does, and perhaps the only one who truly has the interests of the common people at heart (same could perhaps be said for Tyrion, maybe?).

I think that one of the signs of how GoT has shifted (i.e. taken a downturn) since season 6 is the diminsihed role of players like Varys, Tyrion and Littlefinger - those who are moving the chess pieces around the board. Their scenes and diaolgoue were always the best and most interesting, and were what set GoT apart from other 'fantasy' shows. To see Varys resurface again in Episode 4 was a welcome relief from all the fan-fiction stuff we've had in seasons 7 and 8 so far.

I love his character mate, I just think he is a slimey toad lol. I can picture him now sat as hand to whoever wins the Iron Throne ready to stab then in the back when needed.

Really enjoyed this episode. Return to early seasons in theme and tone.
A lot of people are blaming bad writing as the reason things are not going as they expected but I don't really see it that way. There is a lot of 21st century battle knowledge being used to debunk certain scenes but the protagonists don't have that knowledge, nor do they have the hindsight of the viewer who knows much more than they do.

I've read all the leaks and have a fair idea how it will end. I knew what would happen in ep 4 before I watched it live. That didn't diminish it for me at all. It's fantastically made and for the most part acted and I'm super happy we are back to power games. This id Game of Thrones, not ASOIAF.
Staying behind your fortifications against a greater force with no heavy weaponry rather than meeting them in the open field is more 6th Century BCE than 21st Century AD.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.