2019 Summer Window - Whom do we Need ? - Whom will we Sign?

Matt Smith and Tommy Doyle >>

Both Manu Garcia and Douglas Luiz are already 21 and have filled out physically; they've also played at higher domestic levels. Smith and Doyle are younger and their time will come, but I think we need a couple of players who can add immediate depth to the middle of the park so that senior players can be completely rested from the League Cup and, more importantly, not be rushed back when injured. Zinchenko has shown the merit of having young utility players around the squad, so hopefully, the club will allow these two to come back.

If there is to be a transfer ban next year, it also makes more sense to have these two in house this coming season and learning the system.

Liverpool are going to strengthen. They’re going to be the same as this year, on a high, with drive to go one better and probably with a new, top level CAM.

Agree completely with your comment - as no doubt all of us on here do - about our need to strengthen the squad this season (it will happen) but not sure Liverpool will hit the same heights they have this season. They, too, will strengthen and, I’m sure, will look to bring more creativity into their midfield, but, unlike us in our ‘Centurions’ season followed by our incredible fight in this campaign to retain our title - and to compete seriously in all Cup competitions - they cannot, I think, improve or even equal their achievements this season, however they fare in the Champions League Final, whatever happens on Sunday, whatever they do in the transfer market. There are several reasons for this: we know how hard it is to replicate successes of the previous season; they will lose more than one game next season; they will not get the fucking ‘Scouse Luck’ they have had so much of this season; they will probably progress further in domestic cup competitions and therefore have more games to manage; individual players may see a dip in form after their heady heights of this season; they are likely to suffer more/longer term injuries to key players; they may lose one of their front three to European ‘big boys’; VAR may hurt them, as it would have this season (though with VAR, who can be certain?). There are probably more factors some can add to this list but the most compelling one would be the scenario (please, you football gods!) that they miss out on the Premiership title after the season they have had. In domestic terms, it would be a big body blow to them, even if they do go on to win the CL. This is, of course, mere speculation mixed with a bit of wishful thinking but the history of the Premiership over the last ten years, does largely bear this out. They are not going away but are unlikely to be able to repeat the season they’ve just had.

If it is true that Joao Felix is renewing with Benfica, i think we should take this approach in the window...

CB = De Ligt / Skriniar
DM/CM = Rodri
CAM = Houssem Aouar
FW/ST - Nicolas Pepe

I never understood personally why we wanted both Joao Felix and Bruno Fernandes. Felix plays in a number 10 position and by the look of Bruno Fernandes and his statistics, he is also very offensive.

I think acquiring Rodri is key for us really, we need a midfielder who can come in and fill Fernandinho's role long term. I also think a CB is essential also seeing as it is very likely Otamendi and Kompany will leave in the summer. I have always said that when it gets to the crunch games and the pressure mounts, Kompany is always required particularly for his leadership. Laporte and Stones is a very good pairing aesthetically, but when the going gets tough, we need a defender who is a little bit more streetwise with a better overall presence on the field. De Ligt looks fantastic for his age and seems to be a born leader, Skriniar from what i have seen looks a very rough, physical defender who has that presence about him on the field that every team needs. Ideally i would love Koulibaly, but their owner will charge an arm and a leg and he is in his prime already.

As for CM/CAM positions, i think Houssem Aouar fits the bill perfectly. He seems adaptable playing as a 6, an 8, a 10 and on the wings. Pep loves a player who can play various positions and he has already made it clear he is a huge fan of Aouar. He has a very good work ethic off the ball, plenty of energy and on the ball he has so much quality, he would make more sense to me than Bruno Fernandes.

We also clearly need a player who can play all across the front line, particularly seeing as Aguero will be leaving over the next few seasons. I don't think Jesus is good enough to replace Aguero and this is where Pepe comes in. From what i have seen, he has all the tools. He is powerful, he is skillful, he is physical, his movement is excellent, he can finish well, he just looks the perfect fit for our side and one that can play in a central attacking position as well as playing out wide. Jesus is too one dimensional for me, Pep requires a player who can do a bit of everything and Pepe looks like he can do that. If you need a player to lead the line, Pepe looks like he has the physical attributes as well as technical attributes to mix it with the Premier League defenders.

You will be looking at...

De Ligt 75m / Skriniar 60m
Rodri 60m
Aouar 60m
Pepe 60m

Estimated cost of 240m - 255m. If we can get 3/4 options in these positions, i would be very happy.

Timo Werner - His contract runs out in 2020, it sure Leipzig would rather we buy him for 30-40mil than let Munich get him on a free.
Consistent goal scorer, great pace and will be approaching his best years by the time Aguero leaves/retires. Seems a no-brainer to me.

Timo Werner - His contract runs out in 2020, it sure Leipzig would rather we buy him for 30-40mil than let Munich get him on a free.
Consistent goal scorer, great pace and will be approaching his best years by the time Aguero leaves/retires. Seems a no-brainer to me.

But cannot play when the crowd is noisy :)

Honestly I feel like it will be just Rodri this summer.

I do not think we will sign 2 players in 2 years/3 windows with a potential transfer ban looming and much of the old guard on their last hurrah. I'm expecting at least 4 new players this summer, IMO of course.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.