Running thread

Knocked 3 seconds off my 5k, down to 22.05, thought my little legs were going to fall off Haha, next aim is sub 22 minutes for me!

Run 2 of couch25k tonight which is the last run/walk with 2x10mins running and the single 3min walk.

Had a hell of a week in work with me walking 18.7km's on Tuesday alone and tonight i felt as knackered as i have since i started the program. Knees are suddenly sore, back is aching and mentally i just feel fucked.

Im also losing weight through a calorie controlled diet and have lost just over 2st since the middle of March and im wondering if due to the increased run times now, up to 25min runs with next 2 weeks seeing me do 3x25mins then 3x28mins and finally 3x30mins i need to up the calorie intake safe in the knowledge that due to the running it wont mean i suddenly start to put weight on again?

Any tips greatly appreciated.

I wouldn’t worry too much about altering your diet from what you’re doing but maybe throw a few extra snacks in there before and after running like nuts and bananas. Smoothies are a great, healthier means to an energy boost.

I’d say if you’re running out of energy in a day where you wasn’t before, look at upping your calorie intake again to compensate. Just make sure you get the right nutrients to fuel and recover as opposed to eating for the sake of eating to run.

I wouldn’t worry too much about altering your diet from what you’re doing but maybe throw a few extra snacks in there before and after running like nuts and bananas. Smoothies are a great, healthier means to an energy boost.

I’d say if you’re running out of energy in a day where you wasn’t before, look at upping your calorie intake again to compensate. Just make sure you get the right nutrients to fuel and recover as opposed to eating for the sake of eating to run.

Bananas are the go to snack before every run to be fair and i did this morning off the back of half of one and a cup of black coffee and felt great.

I think getting up earlier now the summer is here and doing my run before work is probably the way to go as well.

Knocked 3 seconds off my 5k, down to 22.05, thought my little legs were going to fall off Haha, next aim is sub 22 minutes for me!

Well done on your PB.

I did the Wythenshawe Park park run yesterday, and it's the first time I've seen pacers. I followed the 25 minute pacer, and finished on 24:36. Pleased with that.

Got my PB in The Solway Half Marathon this morning: 1:41 (not sure how many seconds yet). Really happy with that. Aided by a very flat and fast route, and perfect running conditions.

Hope everyone enjoys any races you've got coming up. Good weather for it at the moment.

Training isn't just about banging out the miles. It also applies to what works for you regarding diet, stretching, hydration and many other factors. For example I was struggling with my early morning runs on a big bowl of porridge. I changed it to a couple of slices of toast and that made a huge difference. Try to see what works for you and if you have a bad run at least you know what to change.

As far as my running is concerned after 40+ years of running, a heart attack exactly a year ago has made me start from scratch. You don't realise how much fitness and muscle mass you lose over a year, especially for an old git like me.

Kudos to those who have just started running, stick with it. When you do get fit, running it's dead easy. Nip out for an hour, home and quick shower, a great start to the day.

Anybody else do the Lyme Park parkrun? 400 feet of ascent puts hairs on your chest!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.