Maradona Vs Messi

I’m assuming you think the same of Zidane, Figo, Maldini, Iniesta, Xavi, Casillas, Muller, Cafu, original Ronaldo, Cannavaro, Di Stefano and so on then? Even Maradona.

Because they never did it on a cold, wet and windy night at the Britannia mid-week against a piss-poor almost a current League One level Stoke either between 2008 and 2017 either.

What a strange way to assess a range of footballing talent.

As I said IMO. Anyway yes and no. The Premier League is so different to La Liga or Bundesliga. Teams in those leagues give up after 1 or 2 goals against. Here, again in my opinion even the Stokes keep playing or park the bus or try to kung fu players off the pitch. Over 38 games its another level compared to those leagues. I don't think Zidane was wrong when he said Scholes was the best CM he ever saw play. I am not denying the quality of the players you listed, I am just stating that Ill never really know just how good they were without them having a prem season or two under their belts. IMO

A lot of recency biasm on here.

Both great players but most Argentineans i’ve discussed this with have said Maradona.

Maradona pretty much single handledly delivered Serie A title to Napoli & World Cup for his country & seemed to thrive under the pressure when challenged to do so.

Whilst he seems like an absolute idiot off the field can’t deny his god given talent on it & some of the stuff he did naturally was jaw dropping. Can only imagine what a machine he would have been if he instilled some discipline into his career.

Agree the average defender playing in Messi’s
generation is better than in Maradona’s but I would also state that is balanced out with the amount of crap being kicked out of Maradona on a weekly basis during that time where Vinnie Jones tackles were the norm especially if you were a marked man as the Hand of God.

Messi but I always wonder when comparing to different eras. What happens when you give Maradona, the advances in diet, sport science, equipment(even the boots and kits have come a long way) and training?

Still Messi for me, I was a big fan of Tevez's bulldog/lionheart attitude but I think there is a certain beauty to the fact that Messi doesn't need to do that. He inspires by sheer genius and skill.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.