Game of Thrones (season 8)

Blah blah blah go have a cry wank. You are far to intelligent to be watching game of thrones.

Grow up. People are allowed different opinions, I've not called you names for having a different one, you're allowed to.

Thought as a spectacle, it was a stunning watch. I do think they’ve forgotten why GoT was rated so highly in the first place though, which was the complexity of the characters and how every word and decision had a consequence - the journey up to the payoffs were the best bits. Now, I think they’re struggling to do those characters justice (Tyrion, Varys and Jaime in particular) and instead it’s stuff happens, then a big battle that goes on slightly longer than it needs to, then stuff happens again.

I still really enjoy it as I’m so invested in it and I hope the last episode at least gives a satisfactory ending. I wish they’d done two ten part seasons to finish though and give a bit more time (end of the night king should have been the last three eps of the last season, then all this season could have been all about the main characters).

There’s going to be at least a couple of characters they won’t get chance to resolve fully.
I think you've perfectly summaries exactly how I feel.

As a piece of television, Episode 5 was fantastic and also gave a good impression (as most of us don't know what it's like) of what it might be like to exeprience a city getting totally mullered.

But again - as has often been the case since season 7 - the writers are desperate to make things happen on screen and to appease to some kind of fan-faction desires rather than carefully constructing events and character developments. Jaimie a case in point:

At least 5 seasons of seeing him develop into an honourbale, noble character; commits to the fight against the dead and 'chooses' Brienne; only to then undo all that in the space of one episode with "Acutally I'm gonna go back to Cersei". And what was the point in having him captured and then esacape again?! Just smacked of the writers giving the fans one last Jaimie/Tyrion meeting; forced sentimentality that never existed with GRRM's writing

As a piece of television, Episode 5 was fantastic and also gave a good impression (as most of us don't know what it's like) of what it might be like to exeprience a city getting totally mullered.

But again - as has often been the case since season 7 - the writers are desperate to make things happen on screen and to appease to some kind of fan-faction desires rather than carefully constructing events and character developments. Jaimie a case in point:

At least 5 seasons of seeing him develop into an honourbale, noble character; commits to the fight against the dead and 'chooses' Brienne; only to then undo all that in the space of one episode with "Acutally I'm gonna go back to Cersei". And what was the point in having him captured and then esacape again?! Just smacked of the writers giving the fans one last Jaimie/Tyrion meeting; forced sentimentality that never existed with GRRM's writing

I thought it was his meeting with Bronn that made his realise his past will never escape him and that he still loves Cersei. The nightking was a nice distraction for him and when that settled down and the fight for the throne begun again he knew he had to go back. Tyrion loves his family and will constantly risk his life trying to help them, even though he is a rat bastard as last night proved. Once a Lannister always a Lannister.

Their meeting showed pre-battle that, despite shopping Varys, Tyrion's devotion to Dany was wavering.

That said, I don't think Jamie and Brienne had to happen. It made you pity Brienne, but she's had a lot of that throughout the show.

Ok, if you think it's reasonable to go from frustrated and troubled to slaughtering tens of thousands of innocents in the blink of an eye is fine, may it profit you.
I've seen my missus pre-coffee in the morning. If she had access to a dragon, south manchester would no longer exist, it's not that far fetched.

Tell you what, you could always read the posts again (which will be much quicker) rather than assuming I've not watched it and see that I agree that she did, but that they didn't plot it well enough and had her flipping after she'd won without it being internally justified in the narrative.
Fair enough if you think they justified it across the whole series but perhaps not well enough in the immediate history of the show.

Personally, my belief is that she's always been ruthless. She's always delivered her sense of justice with a side of authoritarianism. The difference has always been that she's had a level-headed support network. Jorah, Tyrion, Ser Barristan, and to a lesser extent Jon, Varys, and Daario - they've all tempered her worst impulses. She's always been pompous, she's always taken immense pride in her work as a liberator so long as she's worshipped by those she liberates, and she's always used fire and blood to overcome her opponents. In Essos, the target just so happened to be slave masters. We all fell for her propaganda, believed and hoped for so long that she wouldn't be just like her father. But then she burned the Tarlys alive. And now, as if to add insult to injury, Jorah, Varys, and Ser Barristan are dead, Daario's on another continent, and Jon and Tyrion have both let her down (in her eyes). So it's Lady Olenna's advice, to ignore the men around her and "Be a dragon", that creeps to the surface. She even plans it with Grey Worm at Dragonstone, telling him that he'll know when it's "time" to just fuck shit up.

So when Daenerys hears those bells and looks around, she realises she is truly alone in this fight now, and when a person becomes isolated they can believe any slight to be a personal attack. "Every time a new Targaryen is born, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land" is a direct quote from the books. Place it in the context of this episode: "Every time the bells ring out to surrender to a Targaryen warrior, the gods toss a coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how the warrior will respond." The coin just landed on the side of death and destruction this time.

Wow... I need to see that episode again. No idea how this will end now. One thing I can’t seem to forget is the Actor who plays Bronn saying that most people generally like his character but they may not at the end?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.