On this day 1995......

As we all know, Football began in 1992.

In the all time league table from that date City are 7th. Even though that includes the wilderness years (4 seasons where we scored no points)!

Irish radio presenters (would definitely be either Liverpool or united) described us as a “plastic, nothing club” when discussing the premier league weekend action
Really gets on my nerves that nonsense! Bitter and jealous

Good post. We're 6th on the all time top flights point table which says everything you need to know about City historically being one of England' top clubs.

I think the narrative is partly created by the sheer amount of United fans in the media and on social media, half of whom know it's not true or are too young to remember otherwise while the other half probably couldn't find Trafford on a map.

if it wasn’t for us the “big 4” would probably still be taking the CL places and all the cash!!
Shame for them that we are now the BIG 1!!

I sat in the kippax for that game and that was when you could bring your pint with you to your seat.
I remember Alan cardigan being truly awful and getting bullied by Ferdinand.

Who was to know that years later, on the last day of the season, the two teams would cross paths on THAT day.

The long term disappointment was the lack of an FA Cup or League Cup semi final for 29 years, the relegation were not so bad, as we had the promotions in equal measure, but never getting close to the two cups we had a realistic chance of winning was bizarre.

There was a list produced on here of teams who had got further than city in Cups over that period, with 224 semi final births available as us getting none.

The "no history" thing is something like Beckham would say, and the same people are likely to say the same about Huddersfield or Notts County.

Yeah, it was the not even getting a sniff that was unbelievable and frustrating. At least Newcastle etc reached a few finals, 2nd/3rd places, etc. I was 1 in 1981 and I was 30 before we even got to one match away from a Wembley final.

Please never let us fall out of touch with where we were, what we witnessed and many other words beginning with w. The wishes and wonders that followed. The wins are here now. We were there when we were...

Yeah, it was the not even getting a sniff that was unbelievable and frustrating. At least Newcastle etc reached a few finals, 2nd/3rd places, etc. I was 1 in 1981 and I was 30 before we even got to one match away from a Wembley final.
I remember the quarter final against Spurs in 92/93. I don't think I'd ever been as shattered after a loss up until that day (Although worse was to come) I remember going home and drinking a bottle of my dad's Glenfiddich and then causing murders outside the Farmyard on Rochdale Rd later on. Then there was the terrible Blackburn away quarter final which was one of the most gutless performces I've ever seen. I remember thinking, please get to a semi, just a semi. Then there was the quarter final of the league cup against Ipswich when Horlock got his head nearly booted off but wasn't given a penalty. We've come a long way and I celebrate every cup(whichever it is) like it's our first and possibly last. Never forget blues.

The '1995 to 2002 blip' as you call it Gary actually started for me with Big Mal coming back in January 1979. Although John Bond did fantastically well initially we never recovered from those crazy spending days of Big Mal until our debts were paid off in full by Sheikh Mansoor. We had brief periods when it seemed we were back on track but as we are well aware you need things to be right off the pitch as well as on it for sustained success. Lets be honest until David Bernstein took charge in 1999 the club was run like a market stall in a world where our neighbours were the top high street fashion store..... haha how times change!

Even during those years you mention when we finished fifth it was obvious major expenditure was required on Maine Road which was looking pretty shabby and the debt still lay heavy over us- there was no chance of the stadium being modernised other than on a shoestring.

The fall to the third tier was more of a disaster because of what our neighbours were doing at the time. If they would have been struggling too then the gap between us would not have seemed so bad. Like now in reverse, their troubles are made all the worse for us being so good and boy, it will be as hard for them as it was for us.

The final Stuart Pearce season was bad too- if we hadnt had that injection of cash and Sven taking over then 2008 season could have gone pear shaped as well...although the last few months werent great and we found out later how close we had come to financial crisis yet again.

It only makes me appreciate the great management we have in place now, Khaldoon was a perfect appointment and we seem set for the long term, but that blip lasted 30 years or so in my book!
I agree, it was the reappointment of Mal that was the killer. His ego was massive (!) and he tried to prove he knew more than anyone. Coupled with Swales' poor judgement, it was a recipe for disaster.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.