When you were a nipper, did you ever call grown ups by their first name?

Magicpole

Team supported
Celtic
I was out the other day, for good behaviour, well when I say good, anyway, I sat beside a group at the pub that included the mother of one of the young guys and his pals were calling his mum by her name, rather than Mrs Whatever.

It took me back to how things have changed. When I was young you wouldn’t think of it. My old mum would come back from the shops after four hours of chatting to literally every **** she met and for some unknown reason, think I wanted to hear about it.

She would say, I was speaking to Cathy, that’s Mrs Anderson to you and then go on at great length about some shite or other.

It just wasn’t done. Even to this day, when I meet any of my pals old mums who are still with us, I can’t call them by their first names. It’s still hello Mrs Anderson.

If I ever referred to her as Cathy in my mother’s earshot many bad things would happen. Obviously it never did as it wasn’t allowed for some reason and my pals were always the same with my mum and dad.

My best pals da used to go mental because I always said Mr Anderson and as it drove him nuts, of course I kept it up. He said it made him feel old. You are old you stupid old bastard I would say. I would call him an old bastard, but never Jim.

I was wondering if any of you cunts were brought up the same way?

the day of the derby I was working ,one of the cars needed filling up so of I popped to the garage near Wilmslow where we have an account, anyway coming out of the petrol station mike summerbee was there and in a cheery voice I said hello mr summerSbee ,I could of fucking died hahaha

With our kids at first, I wasn't fully on board but over time I don't have a problem with the use of first names for adults any longer - I'm more concerned about actually being respectful & considerate (Thank you, please etc). Could be a cultural thing too, here en Suisse it's not common to refer to people you know by Mr/Mrs/Dr etc - usually reserved for people you do not know well

With our kids at first, I wasn't fully on board but over time I don't have a problem with the use of first names for adults any longer - I'm more concerned about actually being respectful & considerate (Thank you, please etc). Could be a cultural thing too, here en Suisse it's not common to refer to people you know by Mr/Mrs/Dr etc - usually reserved for people you do not know well

It was certainly a cultural thing for us. And that culture was, you don’t do it.

Reactions: Hez
It was certainly a cultural thing for us. And that culture was, you don’t do it.

Fair enough, this was the way I was raised as well but we evolve and certainly some aspects of culture are antiquated. I'm a physician and in the US I was regularly called Dr. this or Doc but here I am rarely addressed this way and I prefer it tbh. I don't like this differentiation or titles outside of working circles.

Reminds me of something I heard AOC say recently (Whom I like a lot) where she corrected someone in that she was Madame Congresswoman - I gotta say, that made me cringe. Of course I'm not a monarchist either but these titles, they're nonsensical IMHO

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.