Bolton (sold to Football Ventures)

Born there and now live there and can agree with everything apart from the last sentence. You see far more Red Scouse and London based teams shirts around the town these days than Bolton shirts.
A reflection on the lack of success Bolton are having and the success of big club marketing, rather than a comment on how good Wanderers supporters are IMO. Still sad to see a good club with isstree going to the wall due to actions of it's owners. No club is safe these days but this is a disaster for the club and town

A quick question for Franny's toilet roll and Spirit of Burnden: Do you think that moving out of town to Horwich has had a significant detrimental effect to the club? I do agree about it being a disaster for the club and the town though. I used to go and watch Bolton or Bury back in the day if I could not get to watch City as I was based down South at the time and always enjoyed it and getting to a fair few stadiums that otherwise I probably wouldn't have done.

A quick question for Franny's toilet roll and Spirit of Burnden: Do you think that moving out of town to Horwich has had a significant detrimental effect to the club? I do agree about it being a disaster for the club and the town though. I used to go and watch Bolton or Bury back in the day if I could not get to watch City as I was based down South at the time and always enjoyed it and getting to a fair few stadiums that otherwise I probably wouldn't have done.

It's probably had more of an impact on the town centre than it's had on the club.

Average attendances at the new stadium are generally higher than they were for the last few seasons at Burnden.

Don't forget that there's a generation of supporters who were born after the club moved and have only ever known the new stadium.

Very sad, my Grandad was from Bolton, he died when I was 7, but I can (vaguely) remember him talking about
the Wanderers with pride. I don't know if 'Mooners remember what the old lads used to call football, but years ago,
northern fans called it 'Socie' pronounced 'So-see' which is a corruption of 'Association Football,' or 'Soccer' (a term now only used by the Yanks).

Mixed feelings about this sorry state of affairs. My Gran went to school with Nat Lofthouse’s sister of which she was proud of ha ha. Always had a soft spot for them and used to go with my cousins to Burnden Park if City weren’t playing at home. Now though I am sick and tired of listening to the fans who seem to hate everybody these days. If they go, it’s a sad day for football in general I suppose as for the fans fook em!

a bit more difficult to get to but they've always laid on cheap football buses - it was a condition of the planning approval. Lack of close pubs also reduces enjoyment but overall the stadium is light years better than what Burnden Park had become, so i would say it helped Bolton. They had some of their most successful years at The Reebok with Big Sam in charge (in terms of top flight seasons). When i dive past the Reebok and look at the infrastructure etc, its difficult to understand how it has happened

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.