What Is The True Status Of The Champions League?

If you're saying that teams like Forest could never win it now, then that's a different argument.

The original point was that it was easier to win the European Cup than the Champions League because the opposition wasn't as good, which is just not true.

The teams that Forest and Liverpool faced might not have been considered to be 'big' teams but they were just as good as the teams that were.

Nobody 'fluked' a European Cup.

Nobody has said that anybody "fluked" a European Cup.

Back in the day you could get to the semi-final without playing anyone more than half-decent (I have already provided examples).

The examples you've provided demonstrate your distinct lack of knowledge of European football back then.

As does your comment that it was 'easier to win'.

Why are people unable to have differences of opinion without resorting to insults?

I've listed a bunch of teams there that Liverpool and Forest beat over 4 years. Not too many European powerhouses in there - the beaten finalists were Borussia Munchengladbach, Bruges, Malmo and Hamburg ffs. Two pretty good teams there (Borussia and Hamburg) and two bang average teams (Bruges and Malmo). They were European Cup finalists! I know Borussia had a decent-ish record in Europe at the time and Hamburg had Keegan but they weren't teams that would scare anybody.

And I know it was tough going to hostile places, particularly in Eastern Europe, in those days but you'd still expect the champions of England to win those ties 19 times out of 20. Which they did. Hence English teams dominating the competition for 10 years.

Now either have a civil debate about it or fuck off.

Why are people unable to have differences of opinion without resorting to insults?

I've listed a bunch of teams there that Liverpool and Forest beat over 4 years. Not too many European powerhouses in there - the beaten finalists were Borussia Munchengladbach, Bruges, Malmo and Hamburg ffs. Two pretty good teams there (Borussia and Hamburg) and two bang average teams (Bruges and Malmo). They were European Cup finalists! I know Borussia had a decent-ish record in Europe at the time and Hamburg had Keegan but they weren't teams that would scare anybody.

And I know it was tough going to hostile places, particularly in Eastern Europe, in those days but you'd still expect the champions of England to win those ties 19 times out of 20. Which they did. Hence English teams dominating the competition for 10 years.

Could you really call it 10 years of dominance 7 from 8 77-85 certainly was and I know leeds fluked a final appearance in 75 but thinking that's scrapping the barrel in terms of a starting period of English dominance.

It's difficult to have a debate with someone as wilfully ignorant as you appear to be.

If you'd bothered reading the responses to your earlier posts, you'd have known that Hamburg beat Real Madrid in their semi-final and 'bang average' Bruges beat Juventus. You seem more preoccupied by the fact that they're not traditionally 'big teams'.

According to one of your earlier pearls of wisdom, 'you could get to the semi-final without playing anyone more than half-decent', which is presumably why you've completely ignored the fact that Liverpool played St Etienne in the Third Round in 1977, the same St Etienne team that reached the final the year before.

Errr, harder to get in but once in much much easier to win.

Liverpool 1977: Crusaders, Trabzonspor, St Etienne, FC Zurich, Borussia Munchengladbach - hardly Europe's elite!

And if you think that was a one-off:

Liverpool 1978: Bye, Dynamo Dresden, Benfica, Borussia Munchengladbach, Bruges - a bit harder but not much

Not just to pick on the scousers:

Nottingham Forest 1979: Liverpool, AEK Athens, Grasshopper Zurich, FC Koln, Malmo - tough first round but not much after
Nottingham Forest 1980: Oster, Arges Pitesti, Dynamo Berlin, Ajax, Hamburg

Need I go on?

Under the same format, with half decent draws, it's reasonably likely that we would have got to a final or two and maybe even won it over the last 7 years.
It was easy to win it in those days without doubt, Liverpool got a bye one year in the 1st round ffs and they only drew Forest and Liverpool together in the 1st round (UEFA even bent back then) to get rid of one of the English sides
You wouldn't get a tough game until the semis at least and sometimes the final was an easier game on paper than the semi final.... Malmo... Club Bruge.... 2 for example for Forest and the dippers

Could you really call it 10 years of dominance 7 from 8 77-85 certainly was and I know leeds fluked a final appearance in 75 but thinking that's scrapping the barrel in terms of a starting period of English dominance.

English teams won it 7 times in 10 years so yes I'd call that a 10 year period of dominance

English teams won it 7 times in 10 years so yes I'd call that a 10 year period of dominance
So if English teams win 6 from 7 we will claim a decade when prior to this year English teams have been no where near minus the dippers losing in Kiev?, I know I am being pedantic but got bored of reading the Bolton fan repeatedly

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.