Should financially rich clubs support struggling non-league?

frimpongs_buzzin

Just been reading about Gateshead FC, who are in dire straights. the owners have made all staff redundant, they've been kicked out of their council owned stadium and the future is looking bleak. Their fans have launched a fund raising page to try and raise enough to set up a new club with a target of £50,000. In another non-league case, North Ferriby FC went under midway through the 18/19 season due to unpaid debt totaling just £8,000 that they fell short of raising.

Should the premier league and/or its clubs be helping out these smaller clubs? I'm not talking about supporting the owners with lump cash, or giving money to fans who want to form a new club just because they don't like their owners, I mean helping the fan groups that have no choice but set up a club from scratch due to their club going under, being moved etc. This could be done not only by offering them financial relief, but by giving advice on running a football club, loan of staff / equipment, guidance etc.

There should be (there might be?) a pot of money set aside by the FA which can be accessed by groups wanting to set up a new club after a full investigation of why they want it, their plan for the future, how they plan to become sustainable etc. its a shame to see clubs go under. Football clubs are people's lives, not just the staff that work for them but for fans that support them.

As a caveat to the above, you'd then get opposition from teams in their respective league that they've had a helping hand. I have never come across a football fan that has nothing but praise for the plight of Wimbledon, but I think if they'd had funding from the FA it might be a different story.

what are people's thoughts? is there something in place for non-league times similar to the parachute payments relegated teams receive?

P.S - here's the link for the Gateshead donation page in case anyone feels generous. I'll be giving them a bit when I get paid - https://www.gofundme.com/save-football-in-gateshead

Why should anyone support another business that can't run itself?

F**k em. F**k em all.

If the local butcher goes out of business should tesco step in?
You’ve misunderstood. I mean support the fan groups that, at no fault of their own, are forced to set up a new club from scratch by fundraising alone.

I think City should help our nearest non league club. I am sure the Moston Rag Socks will welcome the investment...... (And yes I know Abbey Hey or Droylsden may be nearer!)

But the antics of the Rag Socks is probably a reason why I wouldnt support fans setting their own club.... Over 2 million quid in debt after what? 14 years in existence? And money they did have was spunked away on egos and nepotism and genuine fans contributing their hard earned taken for a ride. Let fans be fans and leave the rest to benefactors.... Yes a good deal of them are sharks and crooks so that may seem an odd statement to make. But it is up to the league to ensure safeguards are in place when new owners are fishing for a club that theyvare suitable and have the clubs and fans interests at heart and not out to flog the ground and pocket the money.

There is a huge amount that can be done to support small English clubs but the FA will block it, all money and success will be directed to the G14 Why is there restrictions on loan players? for example

I've always advocated having a 2% transfer levy. The money is put into a pot and redistributed from grass roots upwards.

Sadly the game is run by greedy ****s do itll never happen.only fans clubbing together will keep teams going.

I've always advocated having a 2% transfer levy. The money is put into a pot and redistributed from grass roots upwards.

Sadly the game is run by greedy ****s do itll never happen.only fans clubbing together will keep teams going.
The issue i have with handouts is where does it stop? A club will think "wow we were 80K in the shit and got bailed out by the fund.... So we can go over budget again and go cap in hand to the fund at the end of the season"

Reactions: mat

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.