Vinny joins Anderlecht as player/manager (Simon Davies follows him)

I’m very excited for him. He leaves at the top of his game and a true legend.

I’m also fucking excited and hopeful he makes a decent impact there and come back to City to win more titles for us in the future.

His best City 11

13683696-7046481-image-a-39_1558272347574.jpg

It's the right decision that Vinny had taken both for himself and HIS club.

He knows he could have been selfish and stayed another year, playing a few games and kicking up the wedge.

It is a mark of both the man and the love he has for City, that he left his ego at the door for good of his remaining years and our progression.

He goes out like a great should, on his shield, fighting with his last breath until the day was won.

There is not better way to stride into the sunset.

This is not goodbye, this is a ta-ra for now.

We look forward to giving you a proper send off in September.

Thank you for everything. Our captain for the ages.
I’ll feel better about it when you pm me his replacement.

Good for him.

It's hard to know when the right time to leave is, but get it wrong and it can tarnish a legacy (see Rooney and to some extent Yaya). He's going out right at the top, scored what feels like the title winning goal, and winning the domestic treble.
Naturally at the end of all that it can feel like we should keep him another year - but in reality he's had a tough few seasons and it'd be another risk to bet on him staying fit all next season.

This is the way to do it, think Silva and Aguero have another couple of seasons in them, but would gladly see them do the same and leave on top rather than become fringe players who overstay their time here.

Kompany seems ready made to be a manager from how articulate he is to his leadership skills and intelligence. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back at our club in some way or another down the line.

Vincent Kompany, the best Captain you could ever wish for. Whoever gets the armband next I'll probably still think of them as vice. The great man was an absolute colossus, you would have him against anyone 1v1. A proper defender, ultimate strength and a fantastic reader of the game. An articulate student of football, as much a gentleman as he was a monster, much faster than most probably realise and he played the incisive pass from the back better than anyone. The people's Champion, always fought our corner and spoke up for us, became an honorary Mancunian, a leader born for the biggest moments yet seemed to always stay humble and keep our team honest too. A sad day that I didn't see coming just yet, but there could scarcely be a better way to say farewell. Loved his renaissance towards the end of this season, after all these years and all his injuries I say he was still our best defender, his experience of English football was invaluable, and his out of this world goal in the last home game was a perfect way to all but win the title. Probably forgotten some other brilliant things he said but a late contender for favourite quote has to be: "Today was a little bit of frustration 'cause everyone's saying don't shoot, don't shoot, I could really hear it and it was annoying me and I said hold on a second, I've not come this far in my career for young players to tell me whether I could take a shot or not and I just took it... It's 15 years of top level football of having midfielders telling me don't shoot, play the ball wide and every single time I miss, I told them for 15 years I promise you, I said one day I'm gonna have a shot from outside the box and I'm gonna score a goal and you're gonna be really happy with that one". 11 wonderful years at City, where he lifted 2 Community Shields, 4 League Cups, 2 FA Cups, 4 Premier League titles and cemented his place in my memories as Mr Manchester City. Wish him much luck back at his home club, think he'll be an amazing player-manager. Come back to City in the top job or any role and bring Zaba with you. Thank you for everything and see you later Vinny!!

_105773964_hi052556178.jpg

4mancity1205-2.jpg

dc-Cover-ftmrhvf9aerp7v8vq97kama5k4-20190519115843.Medi.jpeg

It's the right decision that Vinny had taken both for himself and HIS club.

He knows he could have been selfish and stayed another year, playing a few games and kicking up the wedge.

It is a mark of both the man and the love he has for City, that he left his ego at the door for good of his remaining years and our progression.

He goes out like a great should, on his shield, fighting with his last breath until the day was won.

There is not better way to stride into the sunset.

This is not goodbye, this is a ta-ra for now.

We look forward to giving you a proper send off in September.

Thank you for everything. Our captain for the ages.

I think you're in a minority if you think Vinny staying would have been either selfish or a hindrance to our progression, especially with the Otamendi situation. His performance in them last few games (bar a sloppy first half against United) showed he's still near the top of his game and still a level above Laporte and Stones on his day, especially with Laporte probably not playing at his best the past few weeks of the season. Kompany's a big loss in the dressing room but especially on the pitch. We will do very well to be better off without him next season.

Feel the same , like a death in the family , which i can't get my head round how can a mere football player have this effect , but Vinnie was no normal football player for this club , he lived and breathed MCFC and the city and will be sorely missed

This is no normal football club but Vinnie has become a part of it in a way few players have.

This is a bitter sweet moment as I cannot remember being more sad about a player leaving but it feels like he has chosen the right time to move on.

I hope he proves to be a huge success at Anderlecht so that he make another hero's return; in the opposite direction.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.