Bilbao & San Sebastián

After reading the comments on here I quite fancy a break in San Sebastián but I can’t find any direct flights from Manchester to there. Excuse my ignorance but do you have to fly to Bilbao and transfer. If so what’s the crack with the transfer?

After reading the comments on here I quite fancy a break in San Sebastián but I can’t find any direct flights from Manchester to there. Excuse my ignorance but do you have to fly to Bilbao and transfer. If so what’s the crack with the transfer?
You do, there's a bus outside the airport, it's about 1 hour 15 to San Sebastian - well worth it, its an amazing city.

You do, there's a bus outside the airport, it's about 1 hour 15 to San Sebastian - well worth it, its an amazing city.
Thanks for that mate it does sound good.

On a side note is it worth staying in Bilbao for a night or is San Sebastián better.

On a side note is it worth staying in Bilbao for a night or is San Sebastián better.

depends how long your over for, I'ld say SS is better, but both worth spending a day or 2 in.

If your around when Sociedad are at home the goal keeper chant in basque is quite amusing, especially if you've got a native to translate :-)

Definitely worth spending time in both to be fair.

You can get a bus or train from the centre of Bilbao as an alternative to the bus from the airport, so you can do both (and should).

Northern Spain is a lot greener than you would anticipate, but that is due to the weather. If you get lucky with the weather its a very pretty place, with good quality food and (in my experience) pretty reasonable prices.

If you're a fan of Game of Thrones you could get to Gaztelugatxe aka Dragonstone too.

gaztelugatxe-spain.jpg

Personally preferred Bilbao to SS, although i didn't spend too long in the latter.

San Sebastian is prettier and has the beach/surfing etc, but for me Bilbao was much more interesting culturally and atmospherically.

Both great places though, definitely won't regret visiting.

On our 2nd night in Bilbao. Absolutely loved it . Old town in amazing , lots of pinchos bars , Guggenheim was stunning. Couldn’t be arsed going inside because I wanted to walk up to Athletico Bilbao stadium (decent).Went on funicular to the top of Bilbao. Found a buzzing street full of bars Calle Ledesma, recommend this street .
San Sebastián tomorrow

Me and the mrs are off to Bilbao on Friday for 2 days , San Sebastián for 4 and Getaria 1 day.. Has anyone got any recommendations, tips for decent bars etc . Ps also somewhere to watch city in SS .
Pack as if you're going to the lakes ie plenty of waterproofs! Here this weekend (anniversary treat for Mrs P - yeah i know Cup final weekend - can't help the dates) and it's pissed down from the moment we landed (Friday evening) until now, and i mean really pissed down. OK great food and wine but fucking hell not much going on otherwise.
Bucket list experience done, will not repeat. Warmer places with great food to be enjoyed. spent a fucking fortune and wished we'd stayrd at home and wallowed in cup final stuff.

Pack as if you're going to the lakes ie plenty of waterproofs! Here this weekend (anniversary treat for Mrs P - yeah i know Cup final weekend - can't help the dates) and it's pissed down from the moment we landed (Friday evening) until now, and i mean really pissed down. OK great food and wine but fucking hell not much going on otherwise.
Bucket list experience done, will not repeat. Warmer places with great food to be enjoyed. spent a fucking fortune and wished we'd stayrd at home and wallowed in cup final stuff.

This is my problem with SS, I absolutely love the place to the point where we've considered buying out there, but the weather can be hit and miss. If you just go for a weekend it could be wall to wall rain, but if the weather is kind there's no where better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.