Game of Thrones (season 8)

Not a great ending, but having read some 'experts' on here and in the wider fan base, some of the fan theories and fan opinions on what the ending should have been are equally shit if not incredibly worse.

I read one this morning utterly slating Benioff and Weiss, and then saying Greyworm should've been king. I mean, wtf.

It's all a matter of opinion and whilst people can slate the writers, their own opinions are often utter shite too.

The way they wrote season 8, the ending was probably the only way they could've ended it. Backed themselves into a bit of a corner.

That said. The Long Night was fucking brilliant and the Night King scene was an absolute triumph. It peaked there and could never recover.

Of course, my opinion on that could be shite too!

Agree with a lot of that - it did peak and the final episode was really 2 scenes, the end for Daenerys and the new king. After that it was guff. Especially Aria going off on a boat - no need for that.

Lots of blame on the screenplay writing and the fact it had overtaken the books. However you need get some perspective on the chaotic writing of George RR Martin. The first book was written in the 90's and released in 1996, the second 1999 then 2000, 2005 and 2011. Each time the plot has expanded and he has clearly struggled to get the books to fit together as the various plot lines and geography spiral outwards. He has suggested wrapping it up in a final 2 books but the 6th has been 8 years in the making now. And the plot and cast in each book seems to grow and grow where he often ends up writing a book and realising he has the content for 2 or more books and then struggles with how to split it out into 2 stand alone volumes. So you'd be waiting a long time to fit with the books and the actors are not getting any younger. You also have to factor in George is 70 and not the healthiest looking chap. So you could wait for this to end the way the author intended and it may never come.

From a TV perspective they had to end it.
The problem IMO isn't the ending per se, its HOW they got to the ending. Throughout the whole series they have developed political climates, relationships and an intricate web of stories. Yes, most of that has been taken from the books, but they still had to get it onto the screen and get you invested in it. Doesn't matter if the source material is a book or if it's something that's been made up by them, they still need to develop the screenplay the same way.

They changed a lot of character archs in this season alone which had to happen to end it, but you can't do that in 6 episodes and extend them a little bit (and actually not really use the extra time in each episode either). People are invested in what they've been sold, but a lot of unanswered questions have been left that way for no reason. Maybe they will look at answering them in the prequels, but it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

Bloodmoon is the next spin off but as from other media its 1000 years earlier and mostly about White walkers. Hopefully answer some questions in that regard. Filming is in the early stages in Belfast..

Great(!)

I wish producers would realise that sometimes we don't NEED the history. The mystique is what makes a character (see Solo, for example).
Instead, they run with spin offs and sequels to make as much money as possible, whilst shitting on the legacy of a series, and making it ultimately dwindle to shite.

Unfortunately, the quality dropped the time Daenerys crossed the narrow sea and Stannis marched on Winterfell (Season six), which was exactly the moment D&D reached the end of the available book material. After that, it was evident they were making it up as they went along and just consulted with GRRM on what the ending would be.

Want to point the finger at the directors but they're not the only ones guilty of botching it. As others have stated, Martin has been writing these for years and lord knows when he would've actually finished them. Had they stopped at season 6 and waited they would still be waiting for the material four years later.

One of the most annoying things for me was Rickon’s death run. Walk slowly backwards ya silly Stark ya!!!

Great(!)

I wish producers would realise that sometimes we don't NEED the history. The mystique is what makes a character (see Solo, for example).
Instead, they run with spin offs and sequels to make as much money as possible, whilst shitting on the legacy of a series, and making it ultimately dwindle to shite.
Correct, i HATE prequels and can't remember the last time one was really really needed, can you?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.