Game of Thrones (season 8)

Certainly rushed and you get the feeling that everyone involed is glad to get it over with; it's understandable (especially from the actors' points of view) but it's a shame that the show ended with such a whimper. On the finale:

I thought the first 30 mins were great, mostly because of the quality of acting. You really got a sense that Dany had lost all sense of introspection (i.e. sanity), that Tyrion was racked with guilt and that Jon was in turmoil. Up to the stabbing it was played out perfectly.

But then we had that scene at the Dragon Pit - easily the worst scene in the whole saga. Painfully embrassing. Were they trying to be funny? "How about democracy?"...gaffaw! I can't get my head around just how cheesy that was. And Bran the Broken? I recall and interview with GRRM where he said that it is wrong to change somethign just because too many have predicted it (mainly in reference to R+L=J), and that doing so would be cheap and cheating the audience. Well, that's just what D&D did here; they picked the guy that thew fewest people expected to be made king, rather than goign somethign which made sense in the story. And Sansa saying "Yeah North is gonna go free" and everyone being "Yeah that's fine, we'll happily fall in line but you go it alone, no issue with that at all...". Christ, it's like they coudln't even be bothered to finish wiritng that conversation!

After that it just got stupid. "Yeah, Jon, thanks for saving everyone over and over again. Now fuck off back to the Wall because the Unsullied - who are buggering off anyway - said so". Would've been much better if he'd exiled himself out of grief. And that Council meeting; again, bad comedy, like the crap you get in Marvel films trying to force a laugh.

Also, something I noticed yesterday as Tyrion was being led to the cells - all the Unsullied soldiers had knobs! Couldn't miss it - one was like Bowie in Labyrinth . Aren't they all supposed to be eunuchs, root and stem?

Certainly rushed and you get the feeling that everyone involed is glad to get it over with; it's understandable (especially from the actors' points of view) but it's a shame that the show ended with such a whimper. On the finale:

I thought the first 30 mins were great, mostly because of the quality of acting. You really got a sense that Dany had lost all sense of introspection (i.e. sanity), that Tyrion was racked with guilt and that Jon was in turmoil. Up to the stabbing it was played out perfectly.

But then we had that scene at the Dragon Pit - easily the worst scene in the whole saga. Painfully embrassing. Were they trying to be funny? "How about democracy?"...gaffaw! I can't get my head around just how cheesy that was. And Bran the Broken? I recall and interview with GRRM where he said that it is wrong to change somethign just because too many have predicted it (mainly in reference to R+L=J), and that doing so would be cheap and cheating the audience. Well, that's just what D&D did here; they picked the guy that thew fewest people expected to be made king, rather than goign somethign which made sense in the story. And Sansa saying "Yeah North is gonna go free" and everyone being "Yeah that's fine, we'll happily fall in line but you go it alone, no issue with that at all...". Christ, it's like they coudln't even be bothered to finish wiritng that conversation!

After that it just got stupid. "Yeah, Jon, thanks for saving everyone over and over again. Now fuck off back to the Wall because the Unsullied - who are buggering off anyway - said so". Would've been much better if he'd exiled himself out of grief. And that Council meeting; again, bad comedy, like the crap you get in Marvel films trying to force a laugh.

Also, something I noticed yesterday as Tyrion was being led to the cells - all the Unsullied soldiers had knobs! Couldn't miss it - one was like Bowie in Labyrinth . Aren't they all supposed to be eunuchs, root and stem?

I imagine they struggled to find anyone prepared to go to such lengths in an effort to get into character!

Or just at that Aryan weirdo or Edmure Tully. Both again come from nowhere. Tyrion didn’t seem that gutted at all to be hand again in the end and looked like he’d forgotten who Jon, Varys, et al were

The vale had already said it wouldn't fight for Danny so tge reason Robin has not been seen, Edmure was probably only recovered from imprisonment in the freys dungeon.
Tyrion said he said he didn't want it and has reluctently taken it, and so has formed his council from people he trusts or admires, understandable bronn would be one of them as also if he didn't give him Highgarden as promised he would be dead now.

Makes perfect sense the council

House Tarly and the grand maester
House Lanister
Newly formed house Bronn
Brienne the leader of the kingsguard
The onion night

Why all the answers like where Edmure tully has been needs answering I don't know.

Poor ending, poor season but all things considered not as poor as it was with Lost
Lost was dire.
Thrones ending was OK, the only problem for me was the speed of Series 7 and 8. It should have been series 7, 8, 9 and 10 with better character development with Daenerys descending more slowly into madness. But the books "Winds of Winter" and "Dream of Spring" dont exist yet.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.