Media coverage 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manchester City’s state-funded spending is ruining football, says La Liga chief Javier Tebas
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...all-says-la-liga-chief-javier-tebas-sdqd9xr6f

“During Soccerex two years ago, I said they weren’t living up to FFP standards,” Tebas said. “City sent me faxes and legal documents saying they were going to put me in front of a court in Manchester if I didn’t correct my statements. I still haven’t gone to court in Manchester, nor have I been called to present myself there. So I reaffirm what I said on that day.

Time for the club to put up or shut up. Sue the c*nt or don't embarrass yourselves by making hollow threats.

Is this the same Javier Tebas, the one who supports Real Madrid and tax avoidance and much more...……………….

https://ronaldo.com/football-news/javier-tebas-an-in-depth-look-at-la-ligas-corrupt-president/

double first in International Affairs and Economics (she is one ****ing sexy woman),First thing came in my head(you no the score mate)PICS
But a really good post..
Rules are rules.

10ndudk.jpg

Which is why it's such a twattish question.

I've already seen dozens of comments about "well he's not denied it, it must be true", but we all know if he had denied it then the back page story would be "Guardiola denies payments" which makes him look guilty.

That's why Pep's so angry.

Harris himself has pretty much advocated the silence=guilt line.

Manchester City’s state-funded spending is ruining football, says La Liga chief Javier Tebas
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...all-says-la-liga-chief-javier-tebas-sdqd9xr6f

“During Soccerex two years ago, I said they weren’t living up to FFP standards,” Tebas said. “City sent me faxes and legal documents saying they were going to put me in front of a court in Manchester if I didn’t correct my statements. I still haven’t gone to court in Manchester, nor have I been called to present myself there. So I reaffirm what I said on that day.

Time for the club to put up or shut up. Sue the c*nt or don't embarrass yourselves by making hollow threats.

People still use fax machines ??

Some of the articles appearing in the media in the wake of City's historic achievements this season have been more concerned with the problems facing football in England than we have given them credit for. I think we are justified in asking why these problems become such a matter for concern when City rewrite the record books rather than United, and when Liverpool get 97 points to win nout, but even the notorious Jonathan Wilson article did point out that "It's not just City; it's not just England". Everywhere trophies are won by the same small club of clubs and, in fact, England was really the only one of the major five leagues to see a genuinely thrilling title race this season. The problem is the enormous gulf in wealth and income between the elite and the rest. We point out that United and Chelsea are still massively in debt and Liverpool are reluctant to see any discussion of their debts so we have little idea of the real picture. But below the elite the problem is getting much worse and we have seen that Bolton is the latest club whose existence is threatened. Football needs investment desperately, as City have shown, but it needs a whole raft of measures to deal with the paradox of more money than ever coming into the game but most clubs getting poorer and poorer. The answer is most certainly NOT a European super league nor is it punishing City for "financial irregularities" or simply for its "oil money" as the stupid brigade from other team's fans seem to want.

What really irritates me about the media's discussions of these problems though is that they never attempt to analyse the role of the football authorities and clubs - UEFA, the FA, Manchester United and the other major leagues and clubs - in causing these problems. In the 1980s top flight clubs began the process of concentrating finance in their own hands and increasing revenue, ostensibly to compete better with the super rich owners of the top European clubs, through keeping the gate receipts and allowing shirt sponsorship, then through the formation of the PL and the TV deals with Sky. But it was only when UEFA, and the FA abdicated their role as governing bodies and became commercial rivals of the clubs through the exploitation of sponsorship and the development of the European Cup into the champions league that the real damage was done. The stratification of English football accelerated - the premier league was the only place to be and at the top of the PL was a small group of increasingly rich clubs which won all the trophies and competed with the small group of increasingly rich European clubs.

UEFA and the PL, though, had made English clubs especially attractive to investors; Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool to those who wished to cream of part of the large revenues success in the 80s and 90s had brought but also from oligarchs looking for glory as in the case of Chelsea and more so to "sleeping" (half dead?) giants like City where investment could really change things. Such new money for some "new" clubs really threatened the community of interest between the football authorities and the clubs which were used to winning all the prizes - they had got rich together. And so to FFP which actually encourages the cartel to increase debt levels, bans investment in clubs unless the investor is actually an asset stripper and makes no effort to deal with any of the real problems facing football in Europe. Only the PL has been an exception, with City, Chelsea and Leicester having kept the establishment out since 2013, but this at a time when the plight of most clubs has deteriorated alarmingly. It is a sign of the times that we celebrate, rather than condemn, the championship play off as "the richest game in football". Soon even - or especially - the CL will be concerned only with history (post 1990s of course). Football will be all about the protection of the establishment, the rest is financial irregularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.