It's Quiet 32 - enter at own risk

Stones is a good defender, just not an elite one like Laporte, and probably will never be.
I tend to judge players by the most decisive games of the season vs strongest sides, which is usually CL playoffs. Can you remember Stones' impact in the CL? He looked like a clown vs Monaco at home, next year he sat on the bench during Liverpool clash (out of form after injuries, Kompany plays), this year he's on the bench again (terribly out ot form due to 'personal reasons', Kompany plays).

3 years in a row we see the same tendency - he starts the season very well and fades away by spring. I can't see Pep being happy with that. Stones is fine as a rotational option, but I'd wish Laporte had a more reliable main partner.
Monaco was in his first season. Stones was not good when we signed him from Everton. We bought him because he was young, English and had potential to be a great CB. Yes, he wasn`t great against Monaco, but that`s more than 2 years ago, and it was his first season in the CL. He has improved a lot since then. He started last season very well, but got injured and was out of form as you said, so he was dropped against the dippers, which makes sense because he was out of form. Started this season great as well, but got injured, and he has since been benched by Kompany, one of the best CBs in the PL of all time, in the tightest title race ever where we needed the captain with his experince and leadership. Stones is easily one of the best defenders in the league when he`s in form and is still only 24. Has not been underwhelming at all

I don’t think he’s in the same league as stones and for all our defensive shortcomings (joke), we conceded one goal more than the greatest defence ever to walk the earth this season.... I’d be all over Alderwiereld
Yeah agreed Alderwiereld for the reported 25m release clause would be a steal, even at 30, it would give us 2-3 years to integrate the likes of Garcia and Harwood-Bellis who both look very promising

Yeah agreed Alderwiereld for the reported 25m release clause would be a steal, even at 30, it would give us 2-3 years to integrate the likes of Garcia and Harwood-Bellis who both look very promising
I like the way you think. The club should hire you

Monaco was in his first season. Stones was not good when we signed him from Everton. We bought him because he was young, English and had potential to be a great CB. Yes, he wasn`t great against Monaco, but that`s more than 2 years ago, and it was his first season in the CL. He has improved a lot since then. He started last season very well, but got injured and was out of form as you said, so he was dropped against the dippers, which makes sense because he was out of form. Started this season great as well, but got injured, and he has since been benched by Kompany, one of the best CBs in the PL of all time, in the tightest title race ever where we needed the captain with his experince and leadership. Stones is easily one of the best defenders in the league when he`s in form and is still only 24. Has not been underwhelming at all

I think he only missed out on the run in because Pep knew that Vinny was going. Leicester was his last home game, Brighton to win the league and then the final to wrap up the treble. Without the Vinny leaving factor Stones would have played several more games this year and in the run in and we wouldn't be having these conversations. Pep brought him on and played him in Midfield against Leicester, there is no way he would do that if he didn't rate him.

Not saying we wont buy another defender - but I would think a LB is higher up the list. A DM also higher up the list. Also if Sane goes then we will replace him again that player higher up the list.

Now that Vinny has left I see Stones & LaPorte as the two first choice central defenders for the next 5 years or so.

I think he only missed out on the run in because Pep knew that Vinny was going. Leicester was his last home game, Brighton to win the league and then the final to wrap up the treble. Without the Vinny leaving factor Stones would have played several more games this year and in the run in and we wouldn't be having these conversations. Pep brought him on and played him in Midfield against Leicester, there is no way he would do that if he didn't rate him.

Not saying we wont buy another defender - but I would think a LB is higher up the list. A DM also higher up the list. Also if Sane goes then we will replace him again that player higher up the list.

Pep didn't pick Kompany because of sentiment. He picked him because he was fit and best represents that hunger and desire to win that Pep has. I don't think we win the title if Stones had have played instead. My opinion.

Stones needs that animalistic desire. He is a brilliant footballer and reader of the game. But what sets the very best centre backs apart - Wio, Vidic, Terry, Adams, Campbell, Kompany and Van Dijk (already the best ever), is that power to their game which puts even the best attackers in their pocket. They will out pace them, out muscle them and dominate them so that they disappear.

Kompany did that on numerous occasions. Laporte probably isn't physical enough but isn't far off doing the same, perhaps in a more graceful style. Stones is still a target. Most would look at him amd fancy their ability to win a physical contest with him. That's why Otamendi has been so good for us, because he is hard as fucking nails.

In every good CB pairing there is usually a combination of qualities. If Otamendi is to also leave I think we lack a bit of steel and aggression in our defence.

Zinchenko has apparently signed a new contract, and it looks like Mendy is staying. The most reliable journos also say we`re not in for a LB. It will probably be 1 CB (could be two), 1 RB if Danilo is going, 1 DM, and maybe an attacker/winger depending on Sane

I don’t think he’s in the same league as stones and for all our defensive shortcomings (joke), we conceded one goal more than the greatest defence ever to walk the earth this season.... I’d be all over Alderwiereld
are you off your fucking rocker

I have trouble spelling bernardo slivas name never mind toby aldiwierwolfs name

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.