Buying the league?

See my post on the Wolves thread Karen. They have stated that they aim to compete with the top clubs for top players this summer. They are the real deal and not prepared to stand still. This season was good but in their words, they didn't buy Wolves to finish 7th. This is just the start and they are already making big inroads into China (all our games are screened live there), Mexico as we signed Mexican national hero Raul Jimenez and of course, Portugal!

They are also investing heavily in the infrastructure of the club with big improvements to the training ground, laying replica pitches to the Molineux playing surfaces and plans to rebuild Molineux as a 50K seater. We have a waiting list of 5K for season tickets alone!
Enjoy the ride mate. ;)

These are from an article in September of last year: https://www.skysports.com/football/...sive-premier-league-transfers-in-todays-money

Chelsea's initial spend under Roman was definitely bigger than ours, and they started with a squad that was already pretty impressive.

That Liverpool figure is interesting though. They've also paid top wages throughout the premier league years (here's some partial data someone put together: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TA-8JcPKP9J4uSIv_yQY9olClw5X5J2yoy7OEjtgqX8/edit#gid=0), and are arguably the biggest underachievers in that time.

skysports-graphic-data_4411482.jpg

skysports-graphic-data_4411807.jpg

Thanks Karen that's kind, we are still pinching ourselves at this point. I guess other clubs might say that we finished 7th and lost to Watford in a semi, so what but we can see the bigger picture. We play the best football we have ever seen, have a fantastic manager and super ambitous owners who want the world and are prepared to get it. But then we also lost twice to HUDDERSFIELD!!
Haha,we got beaten by the geordies and palace!

When the grief monkeys spunked £440,000.00 on Kenny dog's leash, was that condemned as attempting to buy the League? Was it fuck.
They were bankrolled by the Moores family though to be fair the Dalglish fee was covered by selling Keegan.

It could, absolutely. Just setting the parameters by which is it judged is more difficult to get right (to me, again).

The PL and Sky changed the landscape so much, I'm just not sure much can be gained - it'll just confirm something we probably already know as a snapshot. I think you'd probably need the numbers for the other big rivals of the time as well to put time context on it (if everyone overspent, it's less of an issue).

If anyone ever talks about transfers - just mention Rooney £33 million in 2004....15 years ago

Or...Rio Ferdinand for £41million in 2002....£40 mill on one player - this is the season we spent a TOTAL of £40mill on players. (Anelka, Fowler, Vuoso, Distin, Sommeil)

No doubt they will say "yeah but we were spending money we earned".....you simply counter that with did the Glazers buy your club with money they "earned"?!?!?!

I think a better retort is. Ok so you admit you bought the league. thank you. Now let's move onto the completely separate topic of football finance..

Of course you buy the league........it has been proved time and again that your final league position will be a couple of place either way of where you stand in the table showing wages spent on players per season.
Leicester were the exception with I think the eighth highest wage bill when they won it.

Norwich and Sheffield Utd nor Derby if promoted will not win the league....nor Everton...nor wolves...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.