Buying the league?

Just tally up what we have spent and what return we would get now if we sold the players on ...
City would be top of the pile in terms of trophies won and a business return\investment....
In other words the media and associated trolls can get fucked...!

Its a stick we’re often beaten with from rivals and media alike
But if we just look at transfers over £30m since 10/11 it just doesn’t stack up

10/11
City Dzeko £33m
Utd
Chelsea Torres £56m
Liverpool Carroll £37m

11/12
City Aguero £36m
Utd
Chelsea
Liverpool

12/13
City
Utd Van Persie £30m
Chelsea Hazard £36m
Liverpool

13/14
City Fernandinho £36m
Utd Mata £42m Groot £30m
Chelsea Willian £32m
Liverpool

14/15
City
Utd Di Maria £62m Shaw £34m Herrera £33m
Chelsea Costa £35m Fabregas £30m
Liverpool

15/16
City DeBruyne £68m Stirling £55m Otamendi £38m
Utd Martial £54m Schneiderlein £32m Depay £32m
Chelsea
Liverpool Benteke £42m Firmino £31m

16/17
City Stones £50m Sane £45m
Utd Pogba £95m Mkitaryan £38m Bailly £35m
Chelsea Batshuayi £35m Kante £32m Luiz £31m
Liverpool Mane £37m

17/18
City Laporte £58m Mendy £51m Walker £45 BSilva £42m Ederson £35m
Utd Lukaku £76m Matic £41m Lindelof £35m Sanchez £30m
Chelsea Morata £59m Bakayoko £36m Drinkwater £34m Rudiger £31m
Liverpool Van Dijk £76m Salah £38m Oxlade Chamberlain £34m

18/19
City Mahrez £60m
Utd Fred £53m
Chelsea Kepa £72m Pulisic £58m Jorginho £52m
Liverpool Alisson £56m Keita £54m Fabinho £40m
You need to change de bruyne, sterling from 2015 and sane from 2016 there figures are far too high.

10/11
City Dzeko £33m
Utd
Chelsea Torres £56m
Liverpool Carroll £37m

11/12
City Aguero £36m
Utd
Chelsea
Liverpool

12/13
City
Utd Van Persie £30m
Chelsea Hazard £36m
Liverpool

13/14
City Fernandinho £36m
Utd Mata £42m Groot £30m
Chelsea Willian £32m
Liverpool

14/15
City
Liverpool

15/16
Chelsea

16/17
Liverpool Mane £37m

17/18

18/19
City Mahrez £60m
Utd Fred £53m

Someone spot me a tenner?

10/11
City Dzeko £33m
Utd
Chelsea Torres £56m
Liverpool Carroll £37m

11/12
City Aguero £36m
Utd
Chelsea
Liverpool

12/13
City
Utd Van Persie £30m
Chelsea Hazard £36m
Liverpool

13/14
City Fernandinho £36m
Utd Mata £42m Groot £30m
Chelsea Willian £32m
Liverpool

14/15
City
Liverpool

15/16
Chelsea

16/17
Liverpool Mane £37m

17/18

18/19
City Mahrez £60m
Utd Fred £53m
Why are Liverpool in this discussion?

They didn’t get anywhere near challenging for the title in 2010, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17 or 18.

They have been irrelevant for the most part of this decade.

The table of the decade is:
1. City - 812 points, 4 titles
2. United - 759 points, 2 titles
3. Chelsea - 750 points, 3 titles
4. Arsenal - 719 points, 0 titles

Everyone else are miles behind.

I don't see any legitimacy to the claims that the league has been bought, particularly when you look at how the club has set itself up to operate like any other business with decisions taken on a sporting level that are balanced by a sound fiscal approach too. We've already seen that even in terms of wages, City are topped by other clubs with less success. The only legitimate complaint, from my POV, is that while run very differently than PSG it is a reality that City have unlimited funds that are effectively derived by the state. No other clubs really have that advantage

And it is an advantage, obviously, to have unlimited financial stability despite running the club shrewdly - Very different pressure and consequently never in any club instability, irrespective of the results. For example, one of the silly criticisms City face is attendance but even if not a single City fan came to the Etihad over the next 10 years the club could continue to thrive - I'm pretty certain no other club could survive similar circumstances without the financial foundation & security that being state backed brings. So to that end, clubs like PSG & City have decided advantages that contribute to their overall success - to what degree is difficult to assess

Not that it matters perhaps but I like the way City is run - I don't get the impression that they are just throwing money at any & every problem despite the English narrative of them buying success. Although I am less familiar with how the academy is run and how they recruit talent. Nevertheless, it's remarkable from the outside looking in to see the way the media has regularly failed to give City, the players or Pep the credit it has earned. As I have remarked before, a Scottish or Welsh coach and there'd be talk of knighthood. If it had been Liverpool accomplishing what City have, the narrative would have been vastly different despite having as significant a foreign element to their success as that of City - from players to coaches & ownership. English media however has a history of failing to recognize their own hypocrisies IMHO

Curious if that narrative & media scrutiny will wear him out the way the Spanish media looked to sabotage his work at Barcelona

They didn’t get anywhere near challenging for the title in 2010, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17 or 18.

But what about if long range and set piece goals counted double?

Everyone else are miles behind./QUOTE]
If goals from long balls hoofed downfield by Liverpool were worth four points, they might nearly have finished second at least three times.

I don't see any legitimacy to the claims that the league has been bought, particularly when you look at how the club has set itself up to operate like any other business with decisions taken on a sporting level that are balanced by a sound fiscal approach too. We've already seen that even in terms of wages, City are topped by other clubs with less success. The only legitimate complaint, from my POV, is that while run very differently than PSG it is a reality that City have unlimited funds that are effectively derived by the state. No other clubs really have that advantage

And it is an advantage, obviously, to have unlimited financial stability despite running the club shrewdly - Very different pressure and consequently never in any club instability, irrespective of the results. For example, one of the silly criticisms City face is attendance but even if not a single City fan came to the Etihad over the next 10 years the club could continue to thrive - I'm pretty certain no other club could survive similar circumstances without the financial foundation & security that being state backed brings. So to that end, clubs like PSG & City have decided advantages that contribute to their overall success - to what degree is difficult to assess

Not that it matters perhaps but I like the way City is run - I don't get the impression that they are just throwing money at any & every problem despite the English narrative of them buying success. Although I am less familiar with how the academy is run and how they recruit talent. Nevertheless, it's remarkable from the outside looking in to see the way the media has regularly failed to give City, the players or Pep the credit it has earned. As I have remarked before, a Scottish or Welsh coach and there'd be talk of knighthood. If it had been Liverpool accomplishing what City have, the narrative would have been vastly different despite having as significant a foreign element to their success as that of City - from players to coaches & ownership. English media however has a history of failing to recognize their own hypocrisies IMHO

Curious if that narrative & media scrutiny will wear him out the way the Spanish media looked to sabotage his work at Barcelona

Nice words - good to read.....well apart from the media hounding Pep in Spain t like they appear to be starting to do in UK - that is a concern for sure

Of course you buy the league........it has been proved time and again that your final league position will be a couple of place either way of where you stand in the table showing wages spent on players per season.
Leicester were the exception with I think the eighth highest wage bill when they won it.

Norwich and Sheffield Utd nor Derby if promoted will not win the league....nor Everton...nor wolves...
Didn't Leicester out spend all the teams in the Championship to gain promotion ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.