Media coverage 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting read, especially the second half. The only one that I think will really hurt is is Sancho.

Here we go. The Daily Fail now leading with "Manchester City's lost academy. £300 million worth of young talent deserted City".

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/index.html

The transfer table is interesting (since Pep arrived). They have sales as 134.4m and the current player values at 239.5m.

They have Sancho valued at 100m which is a myth, so that's the difference right there. They've also not factored in the loan fees we have received for the players (many have been on loan before selling) and the sell-on clauses in the contracts.

Let's compare to United who let Pogba go for free and bought him back for 90m and 300k a week. Or signed Sanchez for 30m and pay him 400k+ a week for 4.5 years.

The Mail know the Dipps, Rags, Chavs etc will lap it up though.

Looking at some of the players, I think a lot of them simply weren't good enough to make it here at the time.

With Trippier, he had Richards and Zabaleta ahead of him so no chance.

Selling Iheanacho and Diaz was good business for the money we got for them.

I think the only mistakes we've really made is not giving Lopes more of a chance (I thought he could have made it at the time for us) and selling some of our promising centre-backs.

I always thought Denayer and Rekik had potential and were both technically gifted and I've always thought there's enough room in the squad to have a 4th choice centre back from the academy. I think our biggest mistake on that front was probably letting Ben Mee go who would have been a perfectly adequate 4th choice centre back for us and it would have been good to have another local born player in the dressing room given the difficulty of keeping 4 top quality centre-backs happy (as we're seeing with Nico).

By the same token and due to squad restrictions, there's a good argument for having a second choice goalkeeper drawn from the academy and hopefully we'll keep Muric. Letting Kasper Schmeichal on the cheap was arguably a mistake but we had Joe Hart at the time and Schmeichal's too good to be a second choice keeper.

Posted in the media thread:
The transfer table is interesting (since Pep arrived). They have sales as 134.4m and the current player values at 239.5m.

They have Sancho valued at 100m which is a myth, so that's the difference right there. They've also not factored in the loan fees we have received for the players (many have been on loan before selling) and the sell-on clauses in the contracts.

Let's compare to United who let Pogba go for free and bought him back for 90m and 300k a week. Or signed Sanchez for 30m and pay him 400k+ a week for 4.5 years.

Isn't two thirds of that the amount the Rags are willing to pay for Sancho?
I would be very surprised if any club was prepared to pay 100M for Sancho at this stage of his football experience. The figure is a guesstimate by the media based on an assumption that united are interested in him. So are all the other figures, time and time again papers make up the numbers to escalate their stories. More accurate stories to be found in the Dandy and Beano than in the Daily fail. I have seen 2 different stories (not sports based) in the last 12 months taken down after I pointed out technical errors in them by the stringer who had concocted them.

They didn't even know who Sancho was then he left us and over night became the hottest property in the world who became the poster boy for our failed academy,if he is a 100m player he would be in our first team,i'm not clicking on it but from what you say the figures are made up to sound as bad a possible

Thanks Bilboblue!!...and thanks to all the blues for your support...I assure you I'm not a group of people nor that intelligent (ask my wife). I've been in finance and specifically lending for over 20 years, a profession that makes one quite cynical and often nosey. The "research" that I've done is basically googling stuff on my phone, figuring out anamolies and raising questions. I'm nowhere in the class of someone like PrestwichBlue.

I am a little overwhelmed at the support, (I used to have 150+ followers till Sunday morning!!). I am also surprised at how rattled these tough reporters have gotten, I thought they would have swatted my questions easily. These aren't necessarily bad actors, they are youngsters (mostly) who are caught in a tough business of generating excitement and clicks for their survival. But what they see as fair game is extremely unfair, on the club, the players, the management team and importantly fans. It undermines the result of years of obsessive hard work and passion. And mostly their work seems to be basis lazy copying of themes, zero evidence (MacKenna especially), loose association of facts and very little research or understanding.

Anyhow I don't intend to make it a habit of targeting anyone, but when I see obvious hypocrisy, I hope to raise my voice in defence of the club . If anything over the last 4 days, I've made some good friends and very thankful for that. I am on a break for a few days to mentally regroup and focus on a few personal projects but hope to be back on twitter soon. Thank you once again!!
Rag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.