Unionistas de Salamanca

Salamanca looks like a great place, and this is a great story. Daniel Storey features on a podcast I listen too quite frequently and seems like a decent guy.

I have shares in both Oviedo and Santander, so this model isn't unusual in Spain. Heading over to Spain next week and intending to get to a couple of games. Would loved to have been going to Madrid, but seeing some of Andalucia instead now, so hoping to get to Recreativo Huelva v Fuenlabrada, and then Cadiz v Extremadura.

Fantastic story mate, just read it on the bbc. Was reading it and thought what a top pair of fellas. Have a look on here, see a thread on it, low and behold you are a pair of blues.

Will hold my hands up here, I know relatively nothing about the lower leagues in Spain. Is there a realistic chance of you reaching La Liga or is it just a pipe dream for now?
The 5-year plan was to try to get back up to Segunda B (where UD Salamanca were when the club was liquidated), the third tier of Spanish football after La Liga and the Second Divison. We accomplished this objective, so this past season has been one of consolidation. We have one of the lowest budgets in the league, but we always break even. Finishing high enough to qualify for next season's revamped Spanish Cup (with the possibility of being drawn against one of the big boys) was beyond our wildest expectations, but we did it! We have a new stadium to move into for next season, although it probably won't be ready until later this year (a bit like Spurs!), with a capacity of nearly 5,000.

It's hard to compete with some of the huge clubs who are up there, especially when you have lots of 'filiales' (B teams). We've had Real Madrid B, Atlético de Madrid B, Valladolid B, Las Palmas B, Celta de Vigo B and Deportivo de la Coruña B to play against this year, and they're obviously in a much better position than us regarding finances.

Getting up to La Liga in the future? Why not? Other lesser teams have done it.

Salamanca looks like a great place, and this is a great story. Daniel Storey features on a podcast I listen too quite frequently and seems like a decent guy.

I have shares in both Oviedo and Santander, so this model isn't unusual in Spain. Heading over to Spain next week and intending to get to a couple of games. Would loved to have been going to Madrid, but seeing some of Andalucia instead now, so hoping to get to Recreativo Huelva v Fuenlabrada, and then Cadiz v Extremadura.
Salamanca IS a great place, but so are Oviedo and Santander. It's great to hear that you have shares in both. Racing should be promoted to the second division if all goes well (although you never know with Atlético Baleares, their rival in the playoff); Oviedo still have a chance of getting into the playoffs to go up to La Liga, but Osasuna away on the last day will be tough.

We beat Fuenlabrada 3-1 a few weeks ago, so Recreativo have a chance! Cádiz is a great place to watch football. Enjoy!

The 5-year plan was to try to get back up to Segunda B (where UD Salamanca were when the club was liquidated), the third tier of Spanish football after La Liga and the Second Divison. We accomplished this objective, so this past season has been one of consolidation. We have one of the lowest budgets in the league, but we always break even. Finishing high enough to qualify for next season's revamped Spanish Cup (with the possibility of being drawn against one of the big boys) was beyond our wildest expectations, but we did it! We have a new stadium to move into for next season, although it probably won't be ready until later this year (a bit like Spurs!), with a capacity of nearly 5,000.

It's hard to compete with some of the huge clubs who are up there, especially when you have lots of 'filiales' (B teams). We've had Real Madrid B, Atlético de Madrid B, Valladolid B, Las Palmas B, Celta de Vigo B and Deportivo de la Coruña B to play against this year, and they're obviously in a much better position than us regarding finances.

Update this thread please mate throughout the season and let us know how you are getting on.

Having read up on them a bit I was surprised to see another phoenix team also doing (relatively) well. Looks like they have got more money behind them and as a result seem to have been able to literally buy the history of the old club, the right to play at the former stadium, initially their place in the league structure, and recently the old crest and name.

I can imagine that irks somewhat, but there must be tremendous satisfaction gained from finishing ahead of them in the league? Are the derbies a bit heated?

Is it fair to assume that you don't support the 'B team' thing ? :)
Just asking since there's been a lot of discussion about this topic as a great way to improve quality of young players.

Is it fair to assume that you don't support the 'B team' thing ? :)
Just asking since there's been a lot of discussion about this topic as a great way to improve quality of young players.
When we played Real Madrid B earlier in the season they had Vinicius Junior in the team (he scored). Along with two or three more B team players he was promoted to Madrid's first team when Zidane took over. This meant that other teams who played Real Madrid B did not have to face the same team that we did. Unfair, I would say.

Having read up on them a bit I was surprised to see another phoenix team also doing (relatively) well. Looks like they have got more money behind them and as a result seem to have been able to literally buy the history of the old club, the right to play at the former stadium, initially their place in the league structure, and recently the old crest and name.

I can imagine that irks somewhat, but there must be tremendous satisfaction gained from finishing ahead of them in the league? Are the derbies a bit heated?
Don't get me started on that lot, who are financed by some sort of corrupt Mexican investment group (the same people who ruined Real Zaragoza a few years ago), who bought the old stadium and let them play there. They tried to take over the old club with no debt and then invented this other team, claiming that Unión Deportiva Salamanca had never died. Heated derbies? That wouldn't be the word. Just imagine how we feel about the rags and the dippers and multiply it by a hundred!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.