Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't want him I would rather use a talent than spending 60-70 million on this slow, not so talented on the ball player. We can do much better than that.

Not sure where all this crap comes from that Maguire is a paceless crap defender, hes as quick as Vinny and Otimendi and looks very composed on the ball , can tackle, big and strong, he brings the ball out excellently from defence into midfield and can pass.

If its good enough for Pep?

Would be a very good signing IMO.
He is QUICKER than Otamendi for sure. People just like to.make things up. He is big, so they think he is slow. :(

I am already having kittens at the thought of Ederson pinging balls at him surrounded by 2 pressing forwards.

In all honesty, he is a good defender who looks good in sides where defending is probably the main thing they do. For us he would have the ball so much more than he ever has before. Vinnie at times could look troubled with the ball at his feet on the turn, or trying to step into midfield with the ball and for me Vinnie looks a much better player with the ball at his feet than maguire does.
Maguire is quite accomplished on the ball. Where are people watching Maguire and seeing an uncomfortable player on the ball? He's on ball skills are what stands out about him.

I mean seriously, someone point me to a game where Maguire showed his slowness or uncomfortability on the ball.

Is this just some "He is a big Englishman so he must be a brute" syndrome going on here? Why are there so many with opinions that simply isn't supported by the evidence :?

He's good on the ball but he's also one of those defenders with a mistake in him on or off the ball every week. We already have Walker and people say it of Stones(not sure I agree), so we can't be taking any more players with that trait, especially for the asking price.

Do we need to buy home grown for the quota or something?
Now here is a fair assessment. If it's the price (which sounds excessive, then I understand) but he is certainly a good player.

Now here is a fair assessment. If it's the price (which sounds excessive, then I understand) but he is certainly a good player.
What about the mistakes/switching off? Can we afford two in the same starting 11? It can be contagious.

What about the mistakes/switching off? Can we afford two in the same starting 11? It can be contagious.
I think those will be diminished in a higher possession team. By the way all our current CBs make similar errors. So he'll be in good Kompany.

I think those will be diminished in a higher possession team. By the way all our current CBs make similar errors. So he'll be in good Kompany.
Not with his frequency, there's only Walker who compares to my eye. Walker would be much more of a favourite without that trait.

Laporte had that one game(which we shan't mention) but otherwise he has been very dependable. I think Stones is a lot better than he was when he first joined, so I think he's ironed most of that out of his game. Zinchenko on the ball rarely lets us down and is steadily improving defensively.

I'll obviously get behind him if we sign him and hope he can improve under Pep but I would rather we sign someone else, someone more agile, faster on the turn. The thought of Mané and Salah turning him doesn't fill me with confidence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.