Will the loss of Kompany affect City?

Marvin

Wiki credits him with 17 Premier League appearances. He is a very good player against the physical forwards like Deeney, but I think he has started to struggle a little against the quick mobile forwards like Mane and Salah.

The unknown factor is his contribution to the mentality of champions.

In a one-off game, the difference between City and Livepool, Spurs etc is not huge. We saw that in our games, but City won 14 league games back to back to win the title which was absolutely immense. Unbelievable and this is a testament to the will of the team more than anything else.

The last great Premier League side was Chelsea FC when they had Terry and Lampard in the dressing room. It didn't matter who was the coach. Di Matteo, or Avram Grant took the reins still they went out on that pitch and won. The Premier League is not just about how technically good you are, it's about bringing the right mentality to the game every single game.

Last season we wondered whether we could do it back to back, because in almost all cases, winning sports teams dip the following season. Now we have a new reason to wonder.

I think it is good to challenge ourselves and to look for other players to come to the fore.

Next season I am looking to Kevin de Bruyne. He had a fantastic FA Cup Final and that was a reminder of how good he is. I think he will make up for the loss of Kompany.

Sentimentally, not performance.
Sentiment as you put it, or mentality as I would put it is as much a part of performance as technical skills.

Being aggressive, stepping out on the pitch every single game, and imposing your game comes from the heart. I don't think anyone truly knows how City will react next season, not even Pep. Other players need to fill the void. It's hard to know as fans, what role he had in the dressing room. If he's not on the pitch at the weekend, does his presence on the training ground and as part of the squad still have an impact? Hard to say.

Last season my biggest doubt was how would we react to being Champions. Now it is how will we react to losing what from the outside would seem to be our dominant personality.

Sentiment as you put it, or mentality as I would put it is as much a part of performance as technical skills.

Being aggressive, stepping out on the pitch every single game, and imposing your game comes from the heart. I don't think anyone truly knows how City will react next season, not even Pep. Other players need to fill the void. It's hard to know as fans, what role he had in the dressing room. If he's not on the pitch at the weekend, does his presence on the training ground and as part of the squad still have an impact? Hard to say.

Last season my biggest doubt was how would we react to being Champions. Now it is how will we react to losing what from the outside would seem to be our dominant personality.
We've got a bloke called Pep and player wise we have winners who will step up.

I think we'll undoubtedly miss his presence around the club, probably even more so than his contributions on the pitch. All clubs constantly evolve though, and it's a great opportunity for new leaders in the squad to emerge.

Definitely. I don't know how anyone could say he struggled against Salah, he had him in his back pocket at Eastlands this season. The only player he struggled with was Hazard (and his passing was poor in the first half against United) but that was his first game back from injury as a substitute against one of the best players in the league. People don't realise how difficult it is to get up to match sharpness after a spell out injured, which is why so many constantly write Aguero off 3 games back from injury. Kompany of the last few games of the season is still head and shoulders above Laporte and Stones defensively and if anyone thinks Pep picked him the last few games for sentimental reasons then they obviously don't see what it is that makes him such a great player.

We've got a bloke called Pep and player wise we have winners who will step up.
Pep's on the touchline. However manic and demanding he is, players start to get bored and stop listening after a while, and the coach is not on the pitch, it's the players. Big personalities in a group are very difficult to replace and not so natural, or commonplace as you think.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.