Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think @Dax777 was proposing 4 CB's earlier: Laporte, Stones, Garcia and Sandler partly to save paying stupid fees with FFP hanging over us?

I was just pointing out Ferny and possibly Rodri, if we get him? would provide additional CB cover in an injury emergency. It depends how much we are prepared to trust our younger players? (Remember De Ligt is only 19).
De Ligt is a generational talent and I should have said 3 senior CBs.

To be honest, I'm usually all for "Buy Pep the players he wants," but if Maguire costs anything over £65m then I would hope Pep will take a chance on a lesser known player in a cheaper price range. I would genuinely be furious if we paid £90m for Harry Maguire, and I really don't have anything against the bloke.

To be honest, I'm usually all for "Buy Pep the players he wants," but if Maguire costs anything over £65m then I would hope Pep will take a chance on a lesser known player in a cheaper price range. I would genuinely be furious if we paid £90m for Harry Maguire, and I really don't have anything against the bloke.
I feel like he's a disaster waiting to happen if he were played in our usual setup. Maybe I'm wrong. I have the exact same feeling I had when we went after Rodwell, though.

So say Laporte and Stones pick up injuries at the same time. You would be happy to rock up at somewhere like Anfield with Garcia and Sandler at cb?

Walker----Garcia---Sandler----Zinchenko
If Stones and Laporte are both injured, I won't be happy with that outcome no matter who we get.

And for the record, it will be Dihno and Sandler/Garcia if they are both injured.

He is good at running with the ball but he isn't good passing it. The number of times he plays poor balls or is caught out at the back is alarming. He would take us backwards and there is no raw potential there that makes him worth the investment. When Alderweireld is available for 25m if I remember rightly, it is a no brainer to go for him instead. That allows us to remain solid now and bring younger players through. Rather than pay a fortune on someone who neither improves us now nor in the future.

He's a good passer and plays incisive passes. As good as Laporte? no, but still good.
His passing should be better with us too given half the work is based on your positioning and that of teammates

Pep has basically said he wants extra aerial ability in the squad. Rodri will add some but we're losing Kompany and Otamendi so I think we'll pass on Alderweireld

PL 18/19 aerial win percentage:
  1. Maguire 79%
  2. Kompany 68%
  3. Otamendi 61%
  4. Laporte 59%
  5. Alderwireld 53%
(Rodri = 68%)

For comparison,
VVD = 75%
De Ligt = 65%

Last edited:
He'll be a beast at corners. He's just what we need, if he was called maguireinho everybody would be saying get him but coz he's just harry from Yorkshire he's crap.
No brainer for me, boosts our home grown players and he's going to be an established England centre half for a few years.

Generational talent
Is that the new term for young and expensive
Messi was a once in a generational talent
Now there’s loads!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.