Media coverage 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
A positive City story, great research not.

Weaver was up on his feet, ran about five yards, then turned to his team-mates to urge them to join him.

Then he set off, arms waving manically, leaping over an advertising hoarding, pulling at his mustard yellow goalkeeper's shirt before quickly realising, with his gloves on, there is no chance of getting it off. Round to the City fans to the side of the goal, down the side, back on to the pitch before running into the arms of team-mate Steve Morrison, who wrestled him to the ground, where the remainder of City's squad piled on top.

I wish that were the case for me and I am honestly very happy it is for you, GDM. I really do envy your situation.

Unfortunately , I’ve actually had some very unpleasant interactions with a few Liverpool supporters, several from right around Anfield, over the last few weeks and have just had a bit of a falling out with two members of my league team after they wanted me to admit that it’s “ethically wrong” to support City. One is a Liverpool supporter that’s never been to England much less Liverpool, and the other is a United supporter that sees himself as a bit of a moral crusader. I’ve also gotten comments off randoms when wearing my City shirt whilst walking my dog. Just the other day I was at Chelsea friendly here and a Liverpool supporter randomly sucker-punched a lad wearing a City shirt, screaming some awful things before running off (and this at a match where neither team were playing).

It’s worse here in Boston than most other places in America, of course, because of the Liverpool ties and the overcompensation for it being a particularly racist city in general, but I have heard from others living in Manchester, London, and a few places here in America that they are getting it, too.

I’ve talked about my run-ins in more detail elsewhere, including posting one of the messages from that Rag crusader in another thread, so I won’t go much further in to it, but suffice it to say, my particular experience has become one of almost weekly confrontations forcing me to defend supporting City. It’s getting tiring, to be honest.

I’ll keep doing it, but a part of me does miss the days of the immediate “oh, that’s my second club” response when nearly anyone other than a Rag heard that I supported City.

And I have found a large part of all of this is down to media portrayal, especially surrounding the FFP investigation and the more recent fervor surrounding our owners.

Wow people trying to hurt you in America for a sport that’s probably no greater than tidly winks in their national sports. These people throwing punches were they Patriots or Golden state fans in the grand high scheme of things?

I would imagine anyone in the United States who follows the NBA, NFL or the NHLPA would be guilty of supporting a team or ‘franchise’ in their words would be guilty of supporting a financially doped sports team as that’s what it takes to keep them in the league never mind be competitive.

Wow people trying to hurt you in America for a sport that’s probably no greater than tidly winks in their national sports. These people throwing punches were they Patriots or Golden state fans in the grand high scheme of things?

I would imagine anyone in the United States who follows the NBA, NFL or the NHLPA would be guilty of supporting a team or ‘franchise’ in their words would be guilty of supporting a financially doped sports team as that’s what it takes to keep them in the league never mind be competitive.
To be honest, most people I interact with are either also not from America, are first generation Americans whose families are from Europe or Africa, or love football more than American sport. That’s especially the case at my company (due to the nature of our work) and in the leagues I play in. We actually only have two Americans on my league team and one of them was born in Swaziland, with the other being from a military family who were based in Germany for much of his life. That’s definitely not the general public, of course, but it is the community I am apart of, which definitely means the topic comes up more than it would otherwise. And, as I mentioned in another post, the accent doesn’t help avoid the subject, as people are always looking to show they are in the know when it comes to things outside of America.

To be honest, most people I interact with are either also not from America, are first generation Americans whose families are from Europe or Africa, or love football more than American sport. That’s especially the case at my company (due to the nature of our work) and in the leagues I play in. We actually only have two Americans on my league team and one of them was born in Swaziland, with the other being from a military family who were based in Germany for much of his life. That’s definitely not the general public, of course, but it is the community I am apart of, which definitely means the topic comes up more than it would otherwise. And, as I mentioned in another post, the accent doesn’t help avoid the subject, as people are always looking to show they are in the know when it comes to things outside of America.
You also live in one of the least cloistered places in the States.

You also live in one of the least cloistered places in the States.
And at the same time one of the most racist by many measures.

I would say there are cloisters here, though, which in of itself is a problem, beyond what we are discussing. I occupy one of them, to be frank.

I should stop this line, though, as it is going away from the thread topic. :-)

you sound like a persecuted minority have you not got in touch with those pioneering human rights campaigners Harrrss brothers

Really sad to hear that is the state of play for you at the moment for being a City fan in the States at the moment. I wouldn’t even imagine blues in Manchester are getting this type of hysterics for being a blue.

Unfortunately this is the new landscape we all have to face where everything that happens on the pitch has to be apologised for. Plus on the other hand being explained away because our owners are from a part of the world which brings out casual racism in uneducated people. Get used to this blues it ain’t going away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.