Media coverage 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish that were the case for me and I am honestly very happy it is for you, GDM. I really do envy your situation.

Unfortunately , I’ve actually had some very unpleasant interactions with a few Liverpool supporters, several from right around Anfield, over the last few weeks and have just had a bit of a falling out with two members of my league team after they wanted me to admit that it’s “ethically wrong” to support City. One is a Liverpool supporter that’s never been to England much less Liverpool, and the other is a United supporter that sees himself as a bit of a moral crusader. I’ve also gotten comments off randoms when wearing my City shirt whilst walking my dog. Just the other day I was at Chelsea friendly here and a Liverpool supporter randomly sucker-punched a lad wearing a City shirt, screaming some awful things before running off (and this at a match where neither team were playing).

It’s worse here in Boston than most other places in America, of course, because of the Liverpool ties and the overcompensation for it being a particularly racist city in general, but I have heard from others living in Manchester, London, and a few places here in America that they are getting it, too.

I’ve talked about my run-ins in more detail elsewhere, including posting one of the messages from that Rag crusader in another thread, so I won’t go much further in to it, but suffice it to say, my particular experience has become one of almost weekly confrontations forcing me to defend supporting City. It’s getting tiring, to be honest.

I’ll keep doing it, but a part of me does miss the days of the immediate “oh, that’s my second club” response when nearly anyone other than a Rag heard that I supported City.

And I have found a large part of all of this is down to media portrayal, especially surrounding the FFP investigation and the more recent fervor surrounding our owners.
Do what I do.

When they go on about FFP and human rights, don't defend City, agree with what these knobs say.

I enjoy the look on their faces when you agree, they then have nowhere to go.

You can then start back with, stuff like, 'I know, we've just got too much money, and no one is good enough to compete'.

You'll get a few mutterings, but then deliver
the coup de grace, 'but What would your club do if you had all that money?'

These ****s keep going on about 'the club' turning City fans against them.

They need to come on here & read back for ten years or more to get the message that we despise the Scouse/rag loving, bent, wankers.

The club have got fuck all to do with it.

I suspect, no scratch that, I'm certain that Ronay knows that.

I'm not going to read his article but, as with the man who wrote it, the weakness in it is obvious.

Straight off the bat, he shifts the blame with his false premise. Football isn't fanning any flames: Barney Ronay and his cronies are. When he gets closer to the truth, he still blames 'broadcasters and newspapers' as if it's nothing to do with him. Presumably, he and his mates are just doing their job. At the end, we get the really big lie when Smarmy Barney channels his inner Goebbels, who was also a hack who desperately wanted to be a writer. Goebbels believed that a big lie more effectively persuades people than a little fib because it grabs people at an emotional level. So we get the lie that the tone of City's statements about FFP is that of an aggressive underdog and that the underdog is an invention of the UAE. He's making it up, the whopper. I get the impression that either he was drunk when he wrote that pile of nonsense or that he's a dishonest cynic who knows that there is enough emotion around football to gain some clicks with his inventions.

It has always been the case that the greatest sense of smugness, sanctimony, holier than thou and general arrogance has always, without fail, come from the Guardian.

Other papers might be arseholes. Only the Guardian are arseholes while expecting you to applaud.

Barry Glendenning on guardian football podcast thinks Arsenal should boycott the europa final out of principle that it's hosted in Baku, even though it would result in european ban, loss of hundreds of millions, deny their fans of potential silverware and deny their players the chance to play in a final... These public school boy hacks are living in another galaxy.

So which one of you are an official of the 'hateful regime that is the UAE''?

Yesterday the Guardian published this https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/may/24/welcome-to-elite-football-great-summer-of-hate very prominently on Guardian football. It is written by Barney Ronay who is the same journalist who accused City fans of siding with the UAE when Matthew Hedges, a Durham student was arrested and charged last year.

Barney Ronay has the cheek to refer to a "Summer of Hate", and yet for the second time in a matter of months he has made a direct attack on the supporters of Manchester City. No one has been named personally, but elements of the City support are now referred to as the 'hard edge of the UAE regime.' In other words, some of the opinions expressed here, and online are fraudulent and put up by paid employees of the UAE regime. It is one thing to express an opinion on a middle-eastern state, but quite another to equate some football supporters with that regime. I regard this article as malicious. It is seeking to damage the reputation of Manchester City supporters.

The question is what do we do about it? It is libel. It falls short of naming any individual supporter. Fundamentally I believe in free speech. I support the right of people from any spectrum of society to express an opinion. I don't think that the law should be used as a weapon in politics.

Traditionally the Guardian was regarded as liberal newspaper with it's journalists on the left of political opinion, but nowadays the concept of left and right have become pretty meaningless. When I was young, the East v West referred not to the middle-east and ex-colonies but to NATO v the Eastern bloc. The cold-war is history. People are no longer defined by fundamental affiliation to one bloc or another. The polarised field that underwrote the political landscape has weakened. The political compass spins. We now have a situation where former radical journalists are adopting political views that I used to associate with the Spectator, Norman Tebbit or Enoch Powell.

Britain's Empire is now all but gone. It struggles now to maintain it's own borders and to define its relation with Europe, and yet here we are with the liberal democracy of Britain being counterposed to the 'oil-rich states' and 'hateful regimes' of the UAE and Azerbaijan.

How did we arrive at a position when radical opinion has been completely lobotomised? It was only a decade ago that Britain was allied to 'Shock and Awe' as hundreds of thousands died in the invasion of Iraq. Mugabe, Gadafi, Saddam, Africa, Middle-Eastern states, Islamic Fundamentalism have become Public Enemy no. 1 for the new right.

The modern world is built on the edifice of history. British schoolboys are taught about Britain's imperial past. The Knights of the Round Table,the Fields of Agincourt, Henry the 8th, the Industrial Revolution, the French Revolution, American war of Independence, the slave trade, the Boer War, the Russian Revolution, the First and Second World Wars, Korea, the collapse and fall of the Soviet Union, the rise of Islamic Fundamentalism and the war on Terror. In my lifetime it was always understood that the freedoms enjoyed in this country had been bought through Empire-building. Britain was the first industrial power. Coal, steam, engineers, and science brought untold riches and political power to Britain that its Kings and Queens could never dream of. Britain ruled literally half the world through the power of the British Army but more importantly through the supremacy of its economic factory powered first by coal and steam, and then by the magic of electro-magnetism.

The world of 2019 is a product of empire-building and then the subsequent collapse as predicted by 19th Century political philosophy. The British Empire is lost now, hardly able to launch an aircraft carrier. Ex-colonies like the UAE are now able to send probes to Mars, and to build nuclear power stations with the help of the Chinese something that 50 years ago was unthinkable, but these colonies fast emerging are just 50 years old borne in the aftermath of the second world war.

How on Earth did we get to the position where a writer for the New Statesman is now penning articles about the hateful regimes of the ex-colonies. He of all people should have an understanding of history and a knowledge of how we got here. Sheikh Mansour, Manchester City's owner, holds the OBE, order of the British Empire. That illustrates the relationship of power between the two nations. To compare the liberal world and political rights we enjoy with those in the cockpit of a war zone shaped by this very nation is the height of stupidity. Barney Ronay labels City fans as supporters of a hateful regime whereas the truth of it is that Barney Ronay has somehow become thoroughly lost and confused and found himself expressing views on the world that as a young ideal man I am sure he would have abhorred.

There is a reason Barney whilst most of the world does not enjoy the freedoms that you enjoy. A pity that you use these freedoms so destructively. You sit writing in Fleet St, whilst my compatriots live on the edge of existence in refugee camps. Their rulers may live in palaces with taps of gold, but that division is a product of your countries empire building and imperial past. Hateful regimes as you call them, are not a product of good and evil Barney, that is schoolboy, religious clap-trap., they are a product of Empire. The UAE was created in 1973 by the British. It's Bedouin tribes now represent the ruling families of the UAE, enriched by the natural wealth of oil.

Your natural gift for writing is wasted Barney. You have a gift, but you are using it to pen poison. Please stop this.

Last edited:
Barry Glendenning on guardian football podcast thinks Arsenal should boycott the europa final out of principle that it's hosted in Baku, even though it would result in european ban, loss of hundreds of millions, deny their fans of potential silverware and deny their players the chance to play in a final... These public school boy hacks are living in another galaxy.

But is correct tbf, Baku is a piss take and unless fans and to some extent clubs don't make a stand then uefa will continue to pick stupid final venues

So which one of you are an official of the 'hateful regime that is the UAE''?

Yesterday the Guardian published this https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/may/24/welcome-to-elite-football-great-summer-of-hate very prominently on Guardian football. It is written by Barney Ronay who is the same journalist who accused City fans of siding with the UAE when Matthew Hedges, a Durham student was arrested and charged last year.

Barney Ronay has the cheek to refer to a "Summer of Hate", and yet for the second time in a matter of months he has made a direct attack on the supporters of Manchester City. No one has been named personally, but elements of the City support are now referred to as the 'hard edge of the UAE regime.' In other words, some of the opinions expressed here, and online are fraudulent and put up by paid employees of the UAE regime. It is one thing to express an opinion on a middle-eastern state, but quite another to equate some football supporters with that regime. I regard this article as malicious. It is seeking to damage the reputation of Manchester City supporters.

The question is what do we do about it? It is libel. It falls short of naming any individual supporter. Fundamentally I believe in free speech. I support the right of people from any spectrum of society to express an opinion. I don't think that the law should be used as a weapon in politics.

Traditionally the Guardian was regarded as liberal newspaper with it's journalists on the left of political opinion, but nowadays the concept of left and right have become pretty meaningless. When I was young, the East v West referred not to the middle-east and ex-colonies but to NATO v the Eastern bloc. The cold-war is history. People are no longer defined by fundamental affiliation to one bloc or another. The polarised field that underwrote the political landscape has weakened. The political compass spins. We now have a situation where former radical journalists are adopting political views that I used to associate with the Spectator, Norman Tebbit or Enoch Powell.

Britain's Empire is now all but gone. It struggles now to maintain it's own borders and to define its relation with Europe, and yet here we are with the liberal democracy of Britain being counterposed to the 'oil-rich states' and 'hateful regimes' of the UAE and Azerbaijan.

How did we arrive at a position when radical opinion has been completely lobotomised? It was only a decade ago that Britain was allied to 'Shock and Awe' as hundreds of thousands died in the invasion of Iraq. Mugabe, Gadafi, Saddam, Africa, Middle-Eastern states, Islamic Fundamentalism have become Public Enemy no. 1 for the new right.

The modern world is built on the edifice of history. British schoolboys are taught about Britain's imperial past. The Knights of the Round Table,the Fields of Agincourt, Henry the 8th, the Industrial Revolution, the French Revolution, American war of Independence, the slave trade, the Boer War, the Russian Revolution, the First and Second World Wars, Korea, the collapse and fall of the Soviet Union, the rise of Islamic Fundamentalism and the war on Terror. In my lifetime it was always understood that the freedoms enjoyed in this country had been bought through Empire-building. Britain was the first industrial power. Coal, steam, engineers, and science brought untold riches and political power to Britain that its Kings and Queens could never dream of. Britain ruled literally half the world through the power of the British Army but more importantly through the supremacy of its economic factory powered first by coal and steam, and then by the magic of electro-magnetism.

The world of 2019 is a product of empire-building and then the subsequent collapse as predicted by 19th Century political philosophy. The British Empire is lost now, hardly able to launch an aircraft carrier. Ex-colonies like the UAE are now able to send probes to Mars, and to build nuclear power stations with the help of the Chinese something that 50 years ago was unthinkable, but these colonies fast emerging are just 50 years old borne in the aftermath of the second world war.

How on Earth did we get to the position where a writer for the New Statesman is now penning articles about the hateful regimes of the ex-colonies. He of all people should have an understanding of history and a knowledge of how we got here. Sheikh Mansour, Manchester City's owner, holds the OBE, order of the British Empire. That illustrates the relationship of power between the two nations. To compare the liberal world and political rights we enjoy with those in the cockpit of a war zone shaped by this very nation is the height of stupidity. Barney Ronay labels City fans as supporters of a hateful regime whereas the truth of it is that Barney Ronay has somehow become thoroughly lost and confused and found himself expressing views on the world that as a young ideal man I am sure he would have abhorred.

There is a reason Barney whilst most of the world does not enjoy the freedoms that you enjoy. A pity that you use these freedoms so destructively. You sit writing in Fleet St, whilst my compatriots live on the edge of existence in refugee camps. Their rulers may live in palaces with taps of gold, but that division is a product of your countries empire building and imperial past. Hateful regimes as you call them, are not a product of good and evil Barney, that is schoolboy, religious clap-trap.
Just say that again could you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.