Media coverage 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Azerbaijan isn't in Europe at all. Neither are Armenia, Georgia and Kazakhstan. Asia starts on the eastern side of the Dardanelles. Those countries are very firmly geographically in Asia. Israel is also in Asia but was admiited to UEFA because of the political difficulties of their club and national teams playing in Asian competitions when the chance of being drawn against the likes of Syria, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States is inevitable at some point. Turkey is in UEFA because they have part of their country geographicaly in Europe. I've never understood why these former Soviet states in Asia were ever admitted to UEFA in the first place.

Then why are Russia and their teams in UEFA?

Azerbaijan isn't in Europe at all. Neither are Armenia, Georgia and Kazakhstan. Asia starts on the eastern side of the Dardanelles. Those countries are very firmly geographically in Asia. Israel is also in Asia but was admiited to UEFA because of the political difficulties of their club and national teams playing in Asian competitions when the chance of being drawn against the likes of Syria, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States is inevitable at some point. Turkey is in UEFA because they have part of their country geographicaly in Europe. I've never understood why these former Soviet states in Asia were ever admitted to UEFA in the first place.

Money is the answer as to why mate.

Because a large part and the most populated part of Russia is geographically in Europe. Azerbaijan has never been geographically or politically in Europe. In the days of the Soviet Union Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, etc. were referred to as Soviet Asia or the Soviet Union's Asian republics.

Because the ural mountains are the official land border and the ural river to the north caspian sea.

Azerbaijan is west of that so even though asia traditionally is counted as on the european land side like turkey, which is really asia too, Eurasia as it is known

Cardiff, Swansea and Newport set a small precedent with football associations. I don’t think in the grand scheme of football these countries being allowed to develop the game by being included in Europe is a major problem. There are some good arguments either way, flights, hotels, length of time to get there, etc but fans find a way, Faroe Isles anyone? It’s still more accessible than getting to Vienna on the 29th April 1970, most working class people simply didn’t have the wherewithal to fly anywhere, those that did typically visited Spain in their allocated two weeks (called wakes) holiday and returned home carrying a replica bull complete with little daggers in the back.
These

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...633408?hash=item5464b1e6c0:g:KRYAAOSw9z1bzm-I

Last edited:
Erm that link lists azerbaijan as in Europe
You're right, it does. I think that must be the result of some political change post USSR. I guess the continents are human constructs so subject to change.

Edit: I googled it over breakfast. Seems that Azerbaijan is one of those countries which are transcontinental. From what I can gather the Southern border of Europe is the Caucasus Mountain range which forms the natural northern border of the country. If that mountain range is the border, then Baku is in Asia.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.