Matthijs de Ligt

Defence is going to be much more in the spotlight next season with VAR. Expect the attacking team to have much less interference at set pieces for fear of penalties, and hence more headed goals.

De Ligt could be even more effective in his heading stats next season. The Dutch have the tallest population in Europe, it may be easier in the PL than the Dutch league to dominate aerially?

I think if Otamendi stays we there's a good chance we won't sign anyone we'd have the 3 senior centre backs plus Garcia and Sandler, we'd also have Fernadinho and Walker as options.

Personally think we will be all in for Macguire. Apparently Pep is a big fan but we'll have to pay big to get him from Leicester, probably a world record fee although we have leverage with a few players who could go the other way.

The squad is going to look a fair bit different next season. Realistically, one of two things is going to happen: either we'll get stronger or weaker. Unfortunately, we have to "throw money at it" if we want to improve.
Absolute horse shit once again.

Yes we’ll miss Kompany but reality is he didn’t play even half our games, Fernandinho missed chunks of the season and Silva will be slowly phased which will cause a slightly detrimental impact.

That said we will hopefully have a fully fit Mendy (I hope) back and a fully fit De Bruyne to replace Silva. Gundogan has already proved beyond any semblance of doubt he’s capable of taking Fernandinho’s role and Otamendi we all know isn’t quite Vinny but isn’t exactly a bad player. Foden will be a year older and more experienced, along with the likes of Eric Garcia and potentially Douglas Luiz returning from his loan to provide additional cover.

We will buy players who will improve us of that I have absolutely no doubt but we do NOT need to throw money at anything, far from it. We’re in a huge position of strength and players should be desperate to join us, which is a huge bargaining chip with selling clubs. The right players at the right time yes, panic buying because you’re scared absolutely fucking not.

Yes we’ll miss Kompany but reality is he didn’t play even half our games

We wouldn't have won the title without him.

That said we will hopefully have a fully fit Mendy (I hope)

Relying on him to be fit would be a silly mistake. Luckily, Zinchenko has stepped up.

Gundogan has already proved beyond any semblance of doubt he’s capable of taking Fernandinho’s role

I don't agree to be honest. He's a defensive liability in comparison.

We will buy players who will improve us of that I have absolutely no doubt but we do NOT need to throw money at anything, far from it.

We threw money at Mahrez, a player we didn't need. We threw money at the fullback positions when we needed to. We threw money at replacing Hart. Twice.

I'm sure a lot of our signings were interested in our project and with working with Guardiola and the rest of our squad but the majority of them wouldn't have joined if the money wasn't right.

I don't disagree with anything here. My only point is that we need to sign a decent partner for Laporte. Otamendi will probably go and even if he doesn't I don't rate him very highly. Stones, who I rate very highly, has struggled with injuries and issues in his personal life fairly consistently since he signed. Garcia I think is more than ready to be fourth choice.

There's a spot there which I feel needs to be taken by a quality player.
First you’re scared because we’re losing Vinny and Otamendi. Then you say Otamendi is shit and needs replacing anyway.

Make your fucking mind up fella.

1. We wouldn't have won the title without him.

2. Relying on him to be fit would be a silly mistake. Luckily, Zinchenko has stepped up.

3. I don't agree to be honest. He's a defensive liability in comparison.

4We threw money at Mahrez, a player we didn't need. We threw money at the fullback positions when we needed to. We threw money at replacing Hart. Twice.

5. I'm sure a lot of our signings were interested in our project and with working with Guardiola and the rest of our squad but the majority of them wouldn't have joined if the money wasn't right.

1. Absolute bollocks, Vinny didn’t play in half the games over the course of the season and we didn’t do too badly without him.

2. Zinchenko has proved more than capable of filling in, the season before we used Delph and won the league with 100 points. It’s clearly not an area that is absolutely crucial.

3. The clean sheet record later in the season proves he isn’t too much of a defensive liability. He’s not quite as good admittedly but retaining possession better means opponents don’t have as many opportunities to expose those liabilities.

4. We didn’t throw money at Mahrez, we were prepared to walk away if we didn’t get the deal we want. The full backs I do agree with you, we had no choice and at that stage weren’t in the same position of strength as now.

5. Fucking obviously, no one is arguing over paying players what they’re worth. What we can’t do is what United do and pay stupid money, players already want to come here. If money is the deciding factor they can jog the fuck on.

I didn't say he was shit. He's a decent squad player but shouldn't be first choice.

Are you saying you disagree that we need a centre back if Otamendi stays?
If Otamendi stays, I don’t think we need another centre back. Absolutely not. If we can get someone better at the right price, then why not but we absolutely do not NEED to buy another one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.