Matthijs de Ligt

And if Van Dijk had joined us he would be sat at home with 3/5 winners medals around his neck, he made the wrong decision. Instead he got a “Player of the Year” award, just because he choose the media favourites and (so called) fame of Liverpool.

Fighting your way into and keeping your place in a “superteam” is a far greater challenge and accomplishment.
I guess we'd have to agree to disagree.

Leading your own team to attempt to dethrone the Champions is a far greater accomplishment than joining the winners. That's easy.

See, we won without him. So clearly he isn't critical to our success. But if he ever wins the league ( and he very well might win the Champions League this year), it will be a more rewarding, and satisfying victory. And he'd have been critical to that victory.

I mean, anyone can see this

I really don’t get all the hype. His agent is more than enough reason to avoid like the plague. He’ll end up at Barcelona with his friend having used a desperate United to negotiate a higher remuneration.

De Jong was the player we really needed. De Ligt would be more trouble than he’s worth.

Many Blues have said on the Kompany thread that we will miss his leadership qualities as much or more than his footballing contributions.
This kid is obviously a natural leader and to captain such a good team at his age is incredible, so we should absolutely be trying to get him in. We have to trust Txiki and co to make sure that anyone who joins buys in to what we’re doing and doesn’t think they are bigger than the club. Let’s face it, they have assembled the best squad in the league so far......

Defenders are almost never exceptional talent.
I was looking through the old posts on the De Ligt Thread, this is one from an Ajax fan in 2017:
De Ligt is a Mbappe level talent he has everything and the most impressive part of it all is his mentality and his maturity at the age of 17 (like Foden) he will most likely become one of if not the best defender in the world when he keeps developing like he has in his Ajax career in the youth teams and the first team
I accept your quote about defenders rarely being exceptional, but IMO he's a rare and exceptional breaker of that rule ;)

(How many times do you get a defender being selected as "player of a tournament"?)

Last edited:
Very good player but Llorente bullied him in the air, he will go to the rags for €100m but we will still be blamed for inflating the transfer market.
We will be blamed for inflating the market, if we pay the silly money for Maguire being bandied about. For what most fans would consider an inferior player ;)

People are fucking mad if they think we should start paying a 19 year old more than 350k a week.

Where the fuck do you go from there? How much should De Bruyne be paid? Sterling? Ederson?

We have missed out on some targets sure, but the strength and character in our team is better than any one else in the league. And that's not a brag, that's a fact, You dont get to almost 200 points in two seasons by buying over-priced stars and pay them whatever they and their agent demand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.