League 1 playoff final record attendance (still 1999)

Pisses me off something rotten theses Wembley attendances....Newport County, average att, 3,400 they took 12,000 to Wembley. Now if these 12,000 ( or most of them...) went every week and supported ' their team ' as opposed to one glorious day out, the future of ' their club ' would be be so much healthier with the prospect of better football and so on and so forth.

Stadium only holds 7,800

I hope Charlton win.
Only because my mate used to play for them.
Couldn't care less otherwise.

Two big clubs these two.

Charlton were once London’s best supported club. After Woolwich Arsenal left their area to invade Spurs’ area, Charlton’s support quadrupled in two decades. They averaged 40k in 1949 and had regular crowds over 70k in the 1930s and 40s.

Sunderland were one of the most successful teams in the country in the early few decades of the sport. They’d won 6 league titles by 1936. We won our first a year later (Charlton actually came second to us by 3points) and have only just won our 6th this season.

Both clubs have top 10 largest ever English club ground attendances. Charlton sit 8th when they got 75031 in 1938 and Sunderland got 75118 in 1933.

I like Sunderland though so hope they go up but would like to see both clubs higher up than they are now.
I used to have a football records book when I was a kid and read it religiously. Something that stuck with me was Charltons ground, The Valley, was the only football ground that had never been full to capacity. They had a picture of a Kippax style stand behind goal and it looked massive. And for the record, I'm in the Mackems corner today too.

I used to have a football records book when I was a kid and read it religiously. Something that stuck with me was Charltons ground, The Valley, was the only football ground that had never been full to capacity. They had a picture of a Kippax style stand behind goal and it looked massive. And for the record, I'm in the Mackems corner today too.
Think it was mainly (like the Kippax) a big fuck-off side bank which gave it the big capacity.

Didn't we sell 46,000 for the play off final after requesting and being given more tickets? I know Gillingham sold out their allocation and I'm sure they got at least 40,000. Swales must have totted up the final figure.

Times a memory thief with these things, I recall the picture behind a goal with no cover, but it could of been all way around like Maine road before North stand.

Looks like we're both right but,me a bit more than you ;)

6989709db7a75b8a4b637c04a5bf29d0--charlton-athletic-the-old.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.