Golf tips

Short game, short game, short game.

I've hovered around the 5/6 mark for the last decade, and I NEVER practice. I'm basically lazy, or don't have the dedication. Every time I play, there's a medal card in my hand, so there's no room for error. Practice your short game, and you'll clean up/ knock a few shots of your handicap.

Don't, I repeat DON'T waste your money on new/fancy expensive clubs. It's still the bloke holding the grip that is the cause.
In 30 years of competition golf, I've had one lesson. Not because I'm tight, it's because I know I'll be back to bad habits within 6 holes. Just play with people who's opinion you can trust, and listen to them.

Simple rule of thumb. Go to any golf club, and the average handicap is going to be around the 13 to 18 mark. Providing you're not sticking in the trees/out of bounds/topping it off the tee, you'll find the majority of everyone's shots are within 25 yards of the flag. Practice these, and you'll improve.

I'm yet to see a really low handicap golfer, with a shit short game.

Oh, and don't give up. Play shit, just think "it can't get any worse'. Play well, and it's" I'm coming again"

Thinking of starting up again, it's been about 10 years since I last played. Hit a few balls on the range once or twice since then, had a knock in the garden the other day with some air balls, and I've still got it. Can anyone recommend any decent clubs in the Cheshire area?

after years of hitting a high fade, and lessons not curing it, a guy in the next bay at the driving range said " your grip's too weak". With nothing to lose i wrapped my left hand round the grip, until it felt wrong tbh, but it worked. He looked at the sole of the driver and pointed out the scuff marks were showing the club was travelling from out to in, hence the fade. After a few rounds of experimenting with the hand positions, i could manipulate the shot from a low draw to high fade but hitting it dead straight was the killer, but at least i was enjoying being on the fairway most of the time. The short game was never a big attraction for me, it's why carding below 80 was about as good as i could expect. Trouble with playing more often, if there is a fundamental flaw in your set-up you end up cementing it into your game......have fun:)
So many of the face issues at impact are to do with the grip. I have the opposite problem, my weak shot is a big banana slice. I’ve tried everything to cure it and then one day a guy saw me hitting some balls in decathlon and he told me my grip was too weak and I needed to bring it around as if I was trying a draw. It immediately worked but it’s so hard to not just pick the club up in the comfortable position.

I also played with a weak left wrist so between that and a weak grip my face was always really open at impact. I’ve got a lot better with it but I still push most of my iron shots and rarely hit the green in regulation.

The problem with trying to get better at golf from being good to very good is that it takes a lot of work. It’s not something you’ll get better at by not practicing. If you’re really serious about getting better and you want to have lessons or really improve your swing the chances are you’ll get worse before you get better and you’ll need to be patient.

I have played maybe twice in the last 18 months but i’ve been to the range about 80+ times. When I goto the range i’m trying to work on specific things, not just hit ball after ball. I’ve watched thousands of YouTube videos so now have a very good understanding of what i’m supposed to do even if I can’t quite master it.

The guys are right about the short game. 15 years ago I was a ten handicap but I was self taught, had loads of flaws and never used a wedge! A few months ago I decided it was time to start so watched a few videos and after practicing I feel like that part of the game is really easy. Wedge shots from with 30-40 yards require stiff, neutral wrists and an upright shaft at impact (unlike iron shots where you want the hands to be in front of the ball at impact). Too many amateurs try doing a flop type shot with floppy wrists.

For those saying don't buy new equipment they are right in a way, it's still more about the person holding the club and that will never change. But equally technology has improved a lot over the years and with custom fitting if money isn't an issue you absolutely can improve with the right equipment for you. Even something as simple as having the right length shaft can help to eradicate previous swing issues and cut your handicap.

To summarize I would say:

1- Practice with intent - ie short game or swing drills. Know your swing and your faults. Film yourself.
2- Course management - avoid hazards, know your ability and don't try anything on the course that you haven't practiced.
3- Distance control - know what your distance is with each club and get a range finder.
4- Enjoy it - you're just Jim playing a hobby.
5- Equipment - some don't agree but the truth is nowadays there's something for everyone. If you're an 18 handicap but you're using 20 year old blades then you're not going to improve. You don't have to buy the latest, most expensive stuff but get custom fit, including for balls and putters if you can.

Will be playing today, one of my mates will be moaning like fuck then after 4/5 poor shots will hit a great one and moan even more as his game is all up & down. Always tell him if we were any good we'd not be playing in the drizzle at Altrincham & either put the hours in or just roll with it. I do feel like cracking him over the head with a putter sometimes...

Will be playing today, one of my mates will be moaning like fuck then after 4/5 poor shots will hit a great one and moan even more as his game is all up & down. Always tell him if we were any good we'd not be playing in the drizzle at Altrincham & either put the hours in or just roll with it. I do feel like cracking him over the head with a putter sometimes...

If Tiger Woods hits half his tee shots in the rough what the fuck chance have the rest of us got! Go well.

If Tiger Woods hits half his tee shots in the rough what the fuck chance have the rest of us got! Go well.
Indeed. None of our little group play seriously so realistically we're not going to get much better but since we started again 4 years or so ago we've all knocked a few shots off, increased distance etc

The problem with trying to get better at golf from being good to very good is that it takes a lot of work. It’s not something you’ll get better at by not practicing. If you’re really serious about getting better and you want to have lessons or really improve your swing the chances are you’ll get worse before you get better and you’ll need to be patient.

I have played maybe twice in the last 18 months but i’ve been to the range about 80+ times. When I goto the range i’m trying to work on specific things, not just hit ball after ball. I’ve watched thousands of YouTube videos so now have a very good understanding of what i’m supposed to do even if I can’t quite master it.

The guys are right about the short game. 15 years ago I was a ten handicap but I was self taught, had loads of flaws and never used a wedge! A few months ago I decided it was time to start so watched a few videos and after practicing I feel like that part of the game is really easy. Wedge shots from with 30-40 yards require stiff, neutral wrists and an upright shaft at impact (unlike iron shots where you want the hands to be in front of the ball at impact). Too many amateurs try doing a flop type shot with floppy wrists.

For those saying don't buy new equipment they are right in a way, it's still more about the person holding the club and that will never change. But equally technology has improved a lot over the years and with custom fitting if money isn't an issue you absolutely can improve with the right equipment for you. Even something as simple as having the right length shaft can help to eradicate previous swing issues and cut your handicap.

To summarize I would say:

1- Practice with intent - ie short game or swing drills. Know your swing and your faults. Film yourself.
2- Course management - avoid hazards, know your ability and don't try anything on the course that you haven't practiced.
3- Distance control - know what your distance is with each club and get a range finder.
4- Enjoy it - you're just Jim playing a hobby.
5- Equipment - some don't agree but the truth is nowadays there's something for everyone. If you're an 18 handicap but you're using 20 year old blades then you're not going to improve. You don't have to buy the latest, most expensive stuff but get custom fit, including for balls and putters if you can.

Good points, I would also add that the lie is crucial. The lie dictates what you can achieve, especially around the green.
60 degree shots are not a choice for me, either I am forced into using loft , because I am out of position, or the lie is very grassy, even then I De loft mostly.
99 % of club golfers still try to hit lob shots when there is no need, and actually is the wrong shot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.