Golf tips

Good points, I would also add that the lie is crucial. The lie dictates what you can achieve, especially around the green.
60 degree shots are not a choice for me, either I am forced into using loft , because I am out of position, or the lie is very grassy, even then I De loft mostly.
99 % of club golfers still try to hit lob shots when there is no need, and actually is the wrong shot.

I am using a 60 in all my practices and rounds because it’s all I have outside of a pw. The more I use it the more I love it but the trick was studying how to use it first then practicing second. In the past I would have gone to the range, tried to figure it out and picked up bad habits. But this time I learnt to keep the wrists still, shaft upright, hit the ground just before the ball, swing the club quickly through impact, and the higher the follow through the higher the ball goes. I could never have done that without watching videos.

Also, on the equipment make sure you’re happy with your swing before you invest. You don’t want to buy the equipment first because you’ll be buying equipment for a different player with different swing faults. I’vr Been desperate to buy new clubs for a couple of years but I wasn’t ready. Now when i’ve Been for a fitting I love the Ping I210’s which I couldn’t have hit two years ago.

I am using a 60 in all my practices and rounds because it’s all I have outside of a pw. The more I use it the more I love it but the trick was studying how to use it first then practicing second. In the past I would have gone to the range, tried to figure it out and picked up bad habits. But this time I learnt to keep the wrists still, shaft upright, hit the ground just before the ball, swing the club quickly through impact, and the higher the follow through the higher the ball goes. I could never have done that without watching videos.

Also, on the equipment make sure you’re happy with your swing before you invest. You don’t want to buy the equipment first because you’ll be buying equipment for a different player with different swing faults. I’vr Been desperate to buy new clubs for a couple of years but I wasn’t ready. Now when i’ve Been for a fitting I love the Ping I210’s which I couldn’t have hit two years ago.

I have four wedges, as a general rule ain to land the ball 2 yards on the green, and run it out. Using anything from 8 iron upwards. I use 3 of the wedges in bunkers depending on the trajectory that is needed. Only ever practice short game, never practice on the range now. I would rather play 9 with a couple of balls, playing around with different shots.
Last summer managed 70 competition rounds. Social golf doesn't really do it for me.

You need to keep supple.....
24.gif

The problem with trying to get better at golf from being good to very good is that it takes a lot of work. It’s not something you’ll get better at by not practicing. If you’re really serious about getting better and you want to have lessons or really improve your swing the chances are you’ll get worse before you get better and you’ll need to be patient.

I have played maybe twice in the last 18 months but i’ve been to the range about 80+ times. When I goto the range i’m trying to work on specific things, not just hit ball after ball. I’ve watched thousands of YouTube videos so now have a very good understanding of what i’m supposed to do even if I can’t quite master it.

The guys are right about the short game. 15 years ago I was a ten handicap but I was self taught, had loads of flaws and never used a wedge! A few months ago I decided it was time to start so watched a few videos and after practicing I feel like that part of the game is really easy. Wedge shots from with 30-40 yards require stiff, neutral wrists and an upright shaft at impact (unlike iron shots where you want the hands to be in front of the ball at impact). Too many amateurs try doing a flop type shot with floppy wrists.

For those saying don't buy new equipment they are right in a way, it's still more about the person holding the club and that will never change. But equally technology has improved a lot over the years and with custom fitting if money isn't an issue you absolutely can improve with the right equipment for you. Even something as simple as having the right length shaft can help to eradicate previous swing issues and cut your handicap.

To summarize I would say:

1- Practice with intent - ie short game or swing drills. Know your swing and your faults. Film yourself.
2- Course management - avoid hazards, know your ability and don't try anything on the course that you haven't practiced.
3- Distance control - know what your distance is with each club and get a range finder.
4- Enjoy it - you're just Jim playing a hobby.
5- Equipment - some don't agree but the truth is nowadays there's something for everyone. If you're an 18 handicap but you're using 20 year old blades then you're not going to improve. You don't have to buy the latest, most expensive stuff but get custom fit, including for balls and putters if you can.

What shops would you recommend mate, for custom fitting etc? I used to go to American golf many years ago, but I'll need to invest in some new clubs if I start up again.

What shops would you recommend mate, for custom fitting etc? I used to go to American golf many years ago, but I'll need to invest in some new clubs if I start up again.
American Golf is the obvious one but to be honest I went to one in Watford in February and was a little underwhelmed. The best thing to do is go straight to the manufacturers if you have a favorite brand or go to a pro at a course or academy that offers full custom fit. Worth calling them first to see what they have available to try and to go a few times to make sure you get everything right.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.