Exposing the hypocrisy of journalists

True, and to be honest, the Ronay thread was his weakest effort. The Putin references are misleading and taken out of context. The rest are ace, though.
Do point out, how they were taken out of context, I've gone through those paragraphs again, after your comment, I can't quite figure out what you mean

I am new to this forum and have only been partly able to follow the Rabin rejoinders. However, if someone was going to try to hold us to account for the Abu Dhabi connection and events in Yemen wouldn’t you have to start by going back much further historically, to the advent of Wahhabism in Saudi Arabia and its promotion and spread on the back of Saudi oil wealth to other gulf states? Wouldn’t this then have to also take into account our government’s post WW1 propping up of the House of Saud and subsequent events at Bitter Lake?

Surely, in that process, you would encounter a diffusion of moral responsibility shared out between political leaders, that of the US and others who have been responsible for granting the Saudis carte blanche to spread their toxic puritanical message around the globe, including to other gulf states. Eventually, almost everyone would be caught up in an intricate web of collusion.

One would also have to be reading very different historians and journalists, authors like Albert Hourani, Michael Crawford, Robert Fisk and Patrick Cockburn, to name but a few.

So for some mickey-mouse level sports journalists to jump on the bandwagon from an ill-informed starting point that targets our club and attempts to ring-fence it exclusively for alleged moral shortcomings seems daft to say the very least, especially when they have no track record in the territory and yet still seem to want to stake out an ethical high-ground that is non-existent in the porous, leaky moral sewer of Middle Eastern history and politics.

This all seems daft to me and comes down to one thing and one thing only : jealousy.

Well that’s my take on things for now. Do feel free to call me out on anything I have posted on here that is incorrect or doesn’t resonate as I am a bit drunk from Sunday evening imbibing and have probably gone off at a tangent and not making much sense.

Anyway, I completely support Rabin’s efforts and only wish I was as capable as he is of incisively and forensically skewering the dickhead journalists that are currently swarming around our club like flies round shit.

Started to sound like a sales pitch for the independent with that list of correspondents apart obviously from albert who was from God’s own city I seem to recall

Do point out, how they were taken out of context, I've gone through those paragraphs again, after your comment, I can't quite figure out what you mean

I thought they were meant tongue in cheek. Let’s face it, they are ridiculous. They read to me like Ronay is poking fun at Putin, not hero-worshipping him.

Don’t get me wrong, I thought you nailed him completely on the hypocrisy of being all over human rights issues in the UAE while ignoring them in Russia, but I thought the sections on Putin-worship probably didn’t help.

Not sure if you do requests, but if so, is there any chance of you raking aim at Simon Jordan?

;)

[QUOTE="

Not sure if you do requests, but if so, is there any chance of you raking aim at Simon Jordan?

;)[/QUOTE]

How about John Alridge? He has a lot to say for himself on Twitter

[QUOTE="

;)

How about John Alridge? He has a lot to say for himself on Twitter[/QUOTE]
Both too easy I would say. They make fools of themselves.

[QUOTE="

;)

How about John Alridge? He has a lot to say for himself on Twitter[/QUOTE]

Aldridge is too easy, Everton fans do a good job of making him go mental. The guy is that dim he didn’t even know what the bee represented in regards to the Manchester bomb.

I thought they were meant tongue in cheek. Let’s face it, they are ridiculous. They read to me like Ronay is poking fun at Putin, not hero-worshipping him.

Don’t get me wrong, I thought you nailed him completely on the hypocrisy of being all over human rights issues in the UAE while ignoring them in Russia, but I thought the sections on Putin-worship probably didn’t help.

;)

Quite possibly some of them are tongue in cheek, the "sexiest Man in the world" bit for sure. But certainly not statements like

"Putin is an astonishingly potent presence, with a way of dominating any room simply by sitting there, allowing his silence to fill the space"

Also read this and tell me how he finds an odd balance with Russia...seeing it in as a sort of a moral gray when he considers UAE as clear black and white (emphasis mine)

"And so on to Russia and a World Cup that ran like an aggressively oiled machine, and where president and president seemed unusually close. This is a nation that defies normal categories, which is not a democracy, is not transparent, is not exactly a tyrannical regime either. But which is corrupt, cynical, alluring, gangsterish and deeply divisive. One thing quickly became clear from any Russia-based interaction on social media: you can’t trust anyone’s view on Russia. It demands a fixed position. If you say perhaps Russia should encourage a system of greater political opposition you will be accused of mainstream-media Russophobia in the pay of the great delusional global conspiracy. If you say Moscow is a nice modern city or that Russians are perhaps a little more open to the tangles and flaws in their system, you will be accused being a Putin-bot homophobe in the pay of the great delusional global conspiracy."

"And Russians like Putin. He gives them circuses. They are aware of this. The trappings of Western life are mocked as they’re mimicked. The snapline for the shiny, fun, relentless TV network TNT is ‘Feel Our Love’. TNT is sponsored by the state energy company Gazprom, the single largest carbon-guzzling energy company in the world. Gazprom has an aggressive stranglehold over European gas supplies. It’s a tool of soft power for the Kremlin."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.