The impact of VAR next season. Good for us. Terrible for Man Utd

The Cardiff example, yes it was a soft foul, but he still dived like a cvnt to deceive the officials in my mind, so whilst the penalty is technically correct as a foul took place, The FA should still be able to penalised for the dive retrospectively. In my mind a foul and deception aren't necessary mutually exclusive and I don't think it would take many examples for diving at minimal contact to be curtailed if that's something they wanted to eradicate.

I have a fair amount of sympathy for that opinion - that it's not an either/or issue.
And I agree that it is something that could be cracked down on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/48483152

The African Champions League final was abandoned due to a row over the Video Assisted Referee (VAR) system.

Play was halted for over an hour after Wydad Casablanca refused to play when VAR was unavailable to judge a disallowed equaliser.

VAR had been set up on the side of the pitch, but the players had not been told it was not working, although officials were aware.

Who will do this first in our league. Rags or Dippers?

I don't think you would need to wait for goals like vinnies to be checked
All goals are checked and if someone’s toe was offside when stood in the ’keeper’s line of site, that goal is a gonner!

Some great points here. I used to be for VAR in theory, but a combination of the joyless (not to mention imperfect) manner in which it is implemented and the fact that I've realised that football shouldn't be important enough for decisions to always need to be right has put me firmly in the no VAR camp.
I’m all for VAR being introduced for red card/no red card decisions and penalty/no penalty decisions. I think they are essential decisions that won’t impact celebrations.

But it’s going to ruin the sport when used for goals so I’m dead against it being used for goals. Never again will the ball hit the net and a crowd go mental ever again.

It’s going to be used by the authorities to have a greater grip on influencing who they want to win. Just look how it’s been used in the champions league. No one will celebrate goals until VAR has had its say either. It’ll be the death of attending a match.

I don't think Var will be used correctly, it will slow things down and bring in whole new controversy, cant see it being as useful as cricket / tennis / rugby where it has proven successful. Personally I think the shalke pen against Ota was a shit decision, as for offside goal Vs spurs in the CL !

Var is good for goal line technology, was a penalty in the box or just out, was the ball out pf play in the build up to a goal. Would be good for divers in the penalty area, but to bring that in means you look at every Pen under scrutiny. Was it Palace away a few seasons ago when Kun got booked for diving in the penalty area when he was fouled and should have had a Pen ?
Southampton

Marred the Champions League:

PSG game I can just about get my head around. Otamendi Schalke was just wrong but again you could see why they would review that. There was a call to make.

The penalty call last night wasn't even a shot on goal, it was a cross across the face of goal and hits chest first before striking the defenders arm so how can it be deliberate.

The disruption to the game (as seen at home in our game to Spurs, is not worthwhile when the quality of the decisions are no better).

I am glad I am not a Spurs fan. I think when they get back home, and watch that game back, they'll be gutted.

PSG game I can just about get my head around. Otamendi Schalke was just wrong but again you could see why they would review that. There was a call to make.

The penalty call last night wasn't even a shot on goal, it was a cross across the face of goal and hits chest first before striking the defenders arm so how can it be deliberate.

The disruption to the game (as seen at home in our game to Spurs, is not worthwhile when the quality of the decisions are no better).

I am glad I am not a Spurs fan. I think when they get back home, and watch that game back, they'll be gutted.
Put this somewhere else, but better here,
The way I see it his arm was up in the air it hit his chest then he brought his arm down onto the ball, his arm shouldn't have been up but if he'd left it up it wouldn't have hit the ball. For me old rule new rules, var , no var it was handball.
For me wasn't enough of an error if any at all to overturn it or even ask the ref to look again.

Tbf it was the stupid new handball rule or its application rather than Var that was the issue last night.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.