UEFA Nations League Finals | 19:45 - Final - Portugal vs Netherlands (Page 164)

All the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.

England are currently reminding me of City during the 16/17 season: the foundation of a potentially brilliant side is there, but the current personnel attempting to bring this idea to life are some way off being able to do so. They're lacking the crucial details. For example, if Stones had found himself isolated with the ball while playing for City, the opposition striker bearing down on him, he'd simply shuffle the ball to Ederson. I'm not sure he has the same confidence in Pickford, much like he never did with Bravo, so last night he held on one second too long and paid for it. For City, you'd imagine that Fernandinho and Silva would drop deep to give him an option, or Zinchenko would move into midfield to make himself available. I'm not sure Barkley, Rice, or Chilwell are as intuitive to spot danger before it happens.

And therein lies the bigger problem: the midfield. They honestly looked clueless in possession. I'd love to know how many times Sterling, Sancho, and Rashford touched the ball between them, because they were given absolutely nothing by Rice and Barkley. Delph's job was more of a defensive one as opposed to being the distributor, so I can forgive him a little. Without the ball, though, they didn't press well enough, and for long periods of the game they were being passed through quite easily. That's where Delph fell short for me - he looked good in key moments but he never quite looked capable of controlling the game. England will look better with Henderson, Dier, and Alli in midfield for games in the future, but Southgate has to start getting things right. The goodwill from the World Cup won't last long if England struggle through their qualifying group.

southgate is no pep tho m8

All the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.

England are currently reminding me of City during the 16/17 season: the foundation of a potentially brilliant side is there, but the current personnel attempting to bring this idea to life are some way off being able to do so. They're lacking the crucial details. For example, if Stones had found himself isolated with the ball while playing for City, the opposition striker bearing down on him, he'd simply shuffle the ball to Ederson. I'm not sure he has the same confidence in Pickford, much like he never did with Bravo, so last night he held on one second too long and paid for it. For City, you'd imagine that Fernandinho and Silva would drop deep to give him an option, or Zinchenko would move into midfield to make himself available. I'm not sure Barkley, Rice, or Chilwell are as intuitive to spot danger before it happens.

And therein lies the bigger problem: the midfield. They honestly looked clueless in possession. I'd love to know how many times Sterling, Sancho, and Rashford touched the ball between them, because they were given absolutely nothing by Rice and Barkley. Delph's job was more of a defensive one as opposed to being the distributor, so I can forgive him a little. Without the ball, though, they didn't press well enough, and for long periods of the game they were being passed through quite easily. That's where Delph fell short for me - he looked good in key moments but he never quite looked capable of controlling the game. England will look better with Henderson, Dier, and Alli in midfield for games in the future, but Southgate has to start getting things right. The goodwill from the World Cup won't last long if England struggle through their qualifying group.
Really good post. Spot on.

Pep always says you need the right players to play his way! Pickford aint good enough last night midfield isnt good enough! Hopefully Madison and foden will come into that midfield in 12 months time. Also Kane coming on when we were winning and we kept losing the all and hoofing it!

John Stones not for the first time has been a disaster waiting to happen.
He wonders why he is not a regular in Peps first team (call it what you want).
He believes he is better than what he actually is !!!
Arrogant,too much self belief ??
Call it what you want.
He his nowhere at the level of Kompany,VVG,Adams,Terry,etc etc !!!
For those of who still think he will be able to fill the void of Kompany .. think again.Nowhere near the level.

Someone should lay off the sauce before becoming an interweb warrior at 1 in the morning.
Maybe just maybe hes had a stop start season with injuries and personal issues and needs a few games under his belt. The past 2 seasons starts hes been imperious up until the injuries in both seasons stopped him

Someone should lay off the sauce before becoming an interweb warrior at 1 in the morning.
Maybe just maybe hes had a stop start season with injuries and personal issues and needs a few games under his belt. The past 2 seasons starts hes been imperious up until the injuries in both seasons stopped him
So lets get this correct.He tried to play his way out of trouble,not once but twice.The first time just before half time he got lucky and was pulled out of the shit by a team mate.As if he didn`t learn he tried the same tactic again and made to pay for it.
How was that NOT the fault of Stones ?
We`ve seen it so often at City and maybe its a wake up call as to why he his no longer one of the recognised top two centre halfs at City.
Perhaps Pep hasn`t got a clue also.
Tiny tears don`t get so upset as to how I respond.Please just put me on your blocked list if I concern you so much.

So lets get this correct.He tried to play his way out of trouble,not once but twice.The first time just before half time he got lucky and was pulled out of the shit by a team mate.As if he didn`t learn he tried the same tactic again and made to pay for it.
How was that NOT the fault of Stones ?
We`ve seen it so often at City and maybe its a wake up call as to why he his no longer one of the recognised top two centre halfs at City.
Perhaps Pep hasn`t got a clue also.
Tiny tears don`t get so upset as to how I respond.Please just put me on your blocked list if I concern you so much.

It’s hard to defend a player who has made such an obvious mistake, but I will give it a go.

First of all, I don’t remember too many mistakes at city. First season under pep he was prone to make a mistake. But so did everyone else.

Stones is a great 5 aside player. All 5 aside players can play 11 aside, but not all 11 aside players can play 5 aside.
Get rid of all the players who can’t play 5 aside and he won’t dwell on the ball, looking for a 5 aside player to pass to.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.